Activated10

Tony Dungy an elite HC  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Was Tony Dungy an elite HC

• Yes, there's a reason he made it to HOF as HC
    • Only on the Bucs, average on the Colts
    • No, he was always overrated

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2019 at 09:14 PM

On 5/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, Vladimir L said:

no

On 5/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, SBLIII said:

Not by a longshot.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:36 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Heck, no. He doesn't belong in the HOF.

Could you give more analysis why you guys don't think so, especially when the people I'm quoting at the bottom give him credit for Tampa 2 and for Peyton for winning his SB at the Colts

On 5/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, CP3MVP said:

Tony Dungy’s defense in the postseason won that championship. Peyton was horrible 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, MKnight82 said:

He helped build the Tampa 2 defense which dominated the NFL in the early 2000s and also won a Super Bowl as a HC.  He absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:17 PM, Heinz D. said:

Polian became infatuated with Manning, and drafted specifically to surround him with "weapons" first and foremost. If he had drafted like a more rational GM, the defensive side of the ball would have gotten more attention. That's not really on Dungy. You can't run a Tampa 2 without some very good players at certain positions, and the Colts rarely had them. 

3 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Could you give more analysis why you guys don't think so, especially when the people I'm quoting at the bottom give him credit for Tampa 2 and for Peyton for winning his SB at the Colts

Dungy's blind loyalty to the Tampa 2 when he got to Indy was a mistake. He would bring in people that fit a system, but not the most talented players. Their D was good when you had the lead (because Freeney and Mathis could attack), but they usually could be run on (although they did step up against KC in the first playoff game in 06).

• Like 1

Polian and Dungy didn’t value LBers and CBers as much as they did safeties and Edge rushers. So anytime we had a LBer worth anything he left as soon as his rookie contract was up. Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, Cato June, David Thornton etc. 

Polian also vocalized a personal motto. ‘Only pay the best of the best’ 

So big money contracts went to Manning, Harrison, Freeney, Clark and Sanders and when it came time to decide between Wayne and Edge the WR got prioritized over the RB. 

It wasn’t until Polian actually started looking outside of the organization to fill the DT position (specifically Booger McFarland) that they finally got a ring. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Activated10 said:
On 5/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, MightyRx said:

What coaches are considered elite?

Belicheck, Reid & Payton. Consistent top 5 coaches for longer than 5 years

Like with players the Word "Elite" is way over used by the Masses. There is only 1 Elite HC in the NFL and that's Bill Belicheck.  Period. 

Andy Reid for as great a Regular season coach as he is, Hasnt won a SB so there is nothing Elite about him. Those with 1 Payton, Tomlin, McCarthy ect. , while Very good Coaches Are Not Elite! They are on a different  tier. Above the rest but not Elite.

Elite applies to the Walsh's,  Belicheck's, Johnson's,  Knoll's, Gibbs's and Lombardi's of the NFL.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Belichick is the only truly elite coach.

Reid is very good, but has notable flaws.

Payton is nowhere close to elite and never has been.   Much like Tomlin, he is merely a solid coach with major flaws, and will be in major trouble once he loses his future HOF QB.

• Like 8

On 5/15/2019 at 2:04 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Elite applies to the Walsh's,  Belicheck's, Johnson's,  Knoll's, Gibbs's and Lombardi's of the NFL.

Slight topic shift, but Bill Parcells and John Madden are absolutely on this list. I'd put them over Gibbs.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Slight topic shift, but Bill Parcells and John Madden are absolutely on this list. I'd put them over Gibbs.

I'd also put Shula and am in the minority here, but I'd put Marv Levy on the list. 4 straight Super Bowl appearances is elite, period.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd also put Shula and am in the minority here, but I'd put Marv Levy on the list. 4 straight Super Bowl appearances is elite, period.

Both very fair arguments. Shula has a great resume without the '72 season - put that in there and he'd be a lock ( over Jimmy Johnson, IMO). 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:35 PM, Activated10 said:

Nope. I have a gripe with Reid being there. If you never win it all, you're not elite. I'd give Pete Carroll a nod over Andy Reid even.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ET80 said:
On 5/15/2019 at 3:04 AM, Nabbs4u said:

I wasn't necessarily naming them all but trying to get the point across that there haven't  been many. Least of all Reid , Payton and some others currently  coaching that are "consistent" but hardly Elite!

• Like 1