Let's try to get Suh back home

Asylum247

Suh is still on the market and he would be great in our new defense. He could play edge and middle. He was and is a monster when he stands up. We have cap room to sign a 1 year contract. Long time fans would be bitter but we loved him and only turned because we didn't have cap to keep him. 

I created a petition to try getting him back home. Please share and sign it. 

http://chng.it/JWYqV9T8BC

We are tight on cap space next year but it can be found rather easily IMO.  After this year, we can extend Slay and reduce his cap number, Cut/trade Wagner and Marvin, cut Kennard, restructure Snacks or let him go and then we are sitting with $40-$50 Mil.  They create holes but that's the game, every year there are new holes to fill.  I say spend what we have now, try to win now, or just stop caring about football.  If you are more worried about next year already than you might as well not watch this year since you're convinced they aren't going to win.  I am pretty positive we don't win much but I still want them to try. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We are tight on cap space next year but it can be found rather easily IMO.  After this year, we can extend Slay and reduce his cap number, Cut/trade Wagner and Marvin, cut Kennard, restructure Snacks or let him go and then we are sitting with $40-$50 Mil.  They create holes but that's the game, every year there are new holes to fill.  I say spend what we have now, try to win now, or just stop caring about football.  If you are more worried about next year already than you might as well not watch this year since you're convinced they aren't going to win.  I am pretty positive we don't win much but I still want them to try. 

My counter to that would be hopefully in 2020 we're more likely in a position to make a serious push, and 20 extra million to spend would help more. We can still make those cuts if needed, we'll just have more capital to go after bigger fish.

15 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

My counter to that would be hopefully in 2020 we're more likely in a position to make a serious push, and 20 extra million to spend would help more. We can still make those cuts if needed, we'll just have more capital to go after bigger fish.

The NFL changes so much year to year, other than the Patriots being good.  Teams rarely stay consistently good.  Throwing away years in the NFL is not the same as throwing away years in baseball or basketball given how much player movement, coaching movement etc there is.  So playing for 2020 doesn't make sense to me. 

Having an extra $10M to carry over would be helpful along with the 40 we could create pretty easily if we chose to. It also would give our D, which was solid last year, another strong piece to be top 5 this year with a full year of Patricia.  Its why I wanted Ed Oliver so bad.   Having an elite D gives you a chance.  Suh would put us in that realm.  I just want a playoff win at this point.  I think that can happen this year, I also think we could be 4-12.  So I say go for it, try to win.  If we flop, we blow it up and start over.

Not to mention, you could cut Theo Riddick, Christian Jones, and a couple smaller pieces and end up with a similar cap situation.  I would rather have Suh than those guys at this point.

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not going after Suh doesn't mean were not trying to win this year. 

I'm all for bringing in a guy that makes us better. I just don't think Suh is a good fit for the money he'd command.

If it were say, a veteran guard, I would get it.

I'd rather be ahead of  the game when it comes to cap space.

18 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

Not going after Suh doesn't mean were not trying to win this year. 

I'm all for bringing in a guy that makes us better. I just don't think Suh is a good fit for the money he'd command.

If it were say, a veteran guard, I would get it.

I'd rather be ahead of  the game when it comes to cap space.

I'm not talking specifically Suh, I am saying people who say lets sit on our cap and roll it into next year as the reason not to improve this year.  Saying you don't like the fit, fine.  You don't think he has as much left in the tank, fine.  But simply financial is no excuse when we have 20 Mil in cap space left.  He signed for 14M last year.  a 1 or 2 year deal for 10-12 would probably get it done.  If that's the case, then cut those guys I mentioned above and we are sitting in the same spot +/- $2 Mil depending on how many you cut.  I think the impact of Suh in this defense would be significantly more than the impact Jones or Riddick has on our win total.