Let's try to get Suh back home

Asylum247

I agree 100%. Our defense is not a 3-4 or 4-3, it's considered a multiple defense. Which means we can run every defensive style on any play and once we have all the proper players in place our defense should be in the top of teams. 

Suh can play inside on 4-3 plays and edge with 3-4 plays. And we can't forget the force he becomes when he is standing. Suh's effectiveness is 90% on how he is coached. I believe Patricia's style of coaching is the most effective style for Suh. His talent just doesn't respond well to the "player's coach" style of coaching, thats why Flowers signed with us. 

I stated several times last year that the Lions would be lucky to win 7 games because you can't overhaul a a 4-3 defense in one season. It takes around 3 years to get the players that fit you vision. Signing all the ex Patriot players should shorten that time. They are here to help all the other players understand the defense and why the coaches focus on specific things during practice and training. 

1 hour ago, Asylum247 said:

I agree 100%. Our defense is not a 3-4 or 4-3, it's considered a multiple defense. Which means we can run every defensive style on any play and once we have all the proper players in place our defense should be in the top of teams. 

Suh can play inside on 4-3 plays and edge with 3-4 plays. And we can't forget the force he becomes when he is standing. Suh's effectiveness is 90% on how he is coached. I believe Patricia's style of coaching is the most effective style for Suh. His talent just doesn't respond well to the "player's coach" style of coaching, thats why Flowers signed with us. 

I stated several times last year that the Lions would be lucky to win 7 games because you can't overhaul a a 4-3 defense in one season. It takes around 3 years to get the players that fit you vision. Signing all the ex Patriot players should shorten that time. They are here to help all the other players understand the defense and why the coaches focus on specific things during practice and training. 

The Lions could probably find a place for a player of Suh's caliber regardless of the type of defense. I think you make a lot of good points on how he could fit. I just don't think that we will fit what he wants. He's either going to want to be paid and/or play for a team that is an expected contender. While I think that the team has a chance to do better than what a lot of the pundits are saying, they are not one of the leading teams missing a solid rotational guy for a playoff run. I also don't expect us to overpay him to come in as a sell sword. If Suh was to sign with us for a relatively low cost deal, I would be more concerned about what kind of player we're getting than expecting we're one step closer to the SB.

16 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I would be more concerned about what kind of player we're getting than expecting we're one step closer to the SB.

FIRST!! Thank you for being reasonable. There's no way we would be SB contenders adding Suh - even if he played like the old Suh. I think he could help us get into the playoffs but that's about it. If we can start making playoffs then players would understand the vision Patricia has and that the lions might have a shot at the good players that want to win and not just cash in. 

That's one of the issues with losing culture. You tend to get more players that only want to cash in and not take the work serous. 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:03 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

We are tight on cap space next year but it can be found rather easily IMO.  After this year, we can extend Slay and reduce his cap number, Cut/trade Wagner and Marvin, cut Kennard, restructure Snacks or let him go and then we are sitting with $40-$50 Mil.  They create holes but that's the game, every year there are new holes to fill.  I say spend what we have now, try to win now, or just stop caring about football.  If you are more worried about next year already than you might as well not watch this year since you're convinced they aren't going to win.  I am pretty positive we don't win much but I still want them to try. 

Teams are getting their cap situation in good shape in preparation for a lockout after the 2020 season. With no new CBA agreed to, teams are limited to 30% year-to-year cap hit escalations in 2021 and later. Most contracts have low-ish cap hits in the first two years while seeing a decent jump in year 3, but teams won't be able to do that next offseason. Most teams signed their long term contracts this offseason with minimal cap hits in 2019 and 2020 with a large jump in 2021 followed by, at most, 30% increases in the years after. Teams are hoarding cap space to roll over into next offseason so they don't have to structure contracts in a poor way. If teams don't roll over space into next offseason, their contracts will have to have year one cap hits far below the AAV of the contract while the 2021, 2022, etc. seasons will have to have cap hits far above the AAV of the contract. That kind of structure isn't appealing to players because it actually makes it easier for teams to justify cutting a player earlier in their contract. 

16 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Teams are getting their cap situation in good shape in preparation for a lockout after the 2020 season. With no new CBA agreed to, teams are limited to 30% year-to-year cap hit escalations in 2021 and later. Most contracts have low-ish cap hits in the first two years while seeing a decent jump in year 3, but teams won't be able to do that next offseason. Most teams signed their long term contracts this offseason with minimal cap hits in 2019 and 2020 with a large jump in 2021 followed by, at most, 30% increases in the years after. Teams are hoarding cap space to roll over into next offseason so they don't have to structure contracts in a poor way. If teams don't roll over space into next offseason, their contracts will have to have year one cap hits far below the AAV of the contract while the 2021, 2022, etc. seasons will have to have cap hits far above the AAV of the contract. That kind of structure isn't appealing to players because it actually makes it easier for teams to justify cutting a player earlier in their contract. 

Cap situations will work themselves out.  We are stuck with Stafford for the next few years given his cap hit to cut.  Spend the money now, try and win with him and then deal with the cap problems when we completely have to rebuild with a new QB in 4 years.