TEs in the McCarthy/Rodgers System

MrBobGray

All I know is this:  RBs and TEs were so under utilized in McCarthy's offense ... period.   Offensive scheme had to change;  time to get this team's offense back on track and up to date!    No excuses now and I'm all for it.    

Rodgers dislikes throwing to pass catchers in the middle of the field.  Big hits to his pass catchers is something he mentioned he avoided.  

Look at and GDT and there are comments on the lack of middle of the field usage on offense and the subsequent deficiency on defense in defending that area.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Rodgers dislikes throwing to pass catchers in the middle of the field.  Big hits to his pass catchers is something he mentioned he avoided.  

Middle of the field is also where a lot of INTs happen and we know of Rodgers'  aversion to throwing those

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we were running so much WCO with Favre and early Rodgers, why are the targets to TEs so low every year of McCarthy with no discernible pattern of them falling?

Rodgers is the stereotypical every kind of offense QB from a physical stand point. Man can do it all from a physical standpoint.

But, he hates checking down and throwing short. Both key aspects of the WCO.

Remember that TE production was an issue because of the lack of talent since Chmura. Yes they got Franks and he was a TD beast but not much else. Rodgers used to check down and hit every receiver that was open, but it became a home run derby later on. The fact is that the implementation of a traditional WCO routes and check downs will improve this offense. When Rodgers was drafted he was considered at traditional WCO QB as he was limited athletically at the time, teams were looking for the next Michael Vick and Alex Smith fit that running QB type out of college.

23 hours ago, boratt said:

In 2015 Richard Rodgers had 58 catches. Jimmy Graham has a shot at a better season.

2015 richard rodgers was a really bad season from an efficiency standpoint.  Jimmy Graham had a better 2018 season than 2015 D!ckrod.

Will MLF use 12 or 13 personnel with any kind of regularity here in GB is my big question when it comes to TEs.  In TEN, they ran an astounding 39%!!!! of plays with multiple TEs. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

Considering that this was without their star TE in 2018 for the bulk of the season, clearly this is a personnel grouping which MLF finds to be favorable regardless of talent.

For reference, GB ran 18% in 2018 from multiple TE sets.

I don't think we are going to see quite as much multi-TE because of the following factors:

• Rookie 2nd TE who isn't a viable in-line blocker
  • Star QB should edge the ratio more in favor of pass rather than run
  • Lack of established power RB and power OL

Factors in favor of the multi-TE groups:

• Similar structure to TEN with a clear #1 WR and middling 2nd/3rd options.  There is no need to force overwhelming talent onto the field in the form of many WRs such as an LAR or MIN situation where you aren't ok with your #2 playing 40% of snaps.  Here in GB it's fine if Adams plays 95%+ and the rest of Allison/ESB/MVS/etc 40%.

For the above reasons, I think we will see an inordinately high 3 TE ratio relative to the rest of the NFL, since that puts our multiple passing threats at TE out there as well as Lewis who is a blocker, but I don't think we will see 2 TE usage nearly as high as MLF in Tennessee since that set isn't stressing the defense with our strengths in any way that 11 personnel isn't. 

3 TEs and zone outside running was a real standout of the Falcons superbowl run under Shanahan.  It's not a staple foundation of an offense, but it's a really nice changeup.

The offense has just too often in recent years lacked rhythm and last year was felt especially pronounced. When you are so predictable and narrow in your offensive attack, without elite talents, you make the opposing defense's job easier as their jobs are simplified. A compounding nightmare of trying to force chunk production out of receivers and get splash scores instead of taking what is being given

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The Jackson / Chmura offense was my all time fave

I like the 2011 offense, the 95-97 offense but I also the Ahmad green offense. I guess I like when there is a run/pass balance except for 2011 and that was just a passing. Offense clicking!

13 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I like the 2011 offense, the 95-97 offense but I also the Ahmad green offense. I guess I like when there is a run/pass balance except for 2011 and that was just a passing. Offense clicking!

and a Fullback to help with blocking...