QB EJ Manuel retires

RaidersAreOne

On 5/14/2019 at 5:41 AM, ET80 said:

Probably made some good money as a former 1st round pick and backup QB. If he was smart with his money, he's very well set up for the next phases in life.

Sadly the stats for this is bad for the players

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Good for him. Not sure what he said in his pre-draft interviews to swindle the Bills out of a first round pick, but must be a pretty smart dude. One of the most clearly destined to fail 1st round QBs in recent memory. Literally everyone knew it was a bad idea lol

It's what happens when your GM is like 100 years old and caught in a recording saying they needed a franchise QB and were moving on from Fitzpatrick. 

If memories serves, Doug Marrone was hired under the impression he would have Fitzpatrick on the roster. He did not want to draft Manuel and he really didn't want to trade up for Watkins in 2014. The Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley era really were dark times. 

Was EJ Manuel still on an NFL roster when he decided to retire?  If so, I don't understand how anyone would ever do that.  Being a clipboard holder and getting paid huge money seems like about as good of a gig as anyone could ever get if they can't really play at a high level.  I'd keep signing contract after contract for as long as I could find a team that would have me.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Was EJ Manuel still on an NFL roster when he decided to retire?  If so, I don't understand how anyone would ever do that.  Being a clipboard holder and getting paid huge money seems like about as good of a gig as anyone could ever get if they can't really play at a high level.  I'd keep signing contract after contract for as long as I could find a team that would have me.

Never even thought of that. So true. Why would any backup QB ever retire willingly? Just keep getting your money until you are forced out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He was with the Kansas City chiefs as a backup.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, DutchFalcon said:

Plus your still in the trenches every punt.

Yep, our long snapper, Kevin McDermott, lost part of his finger during a game last season.  Could potentially be career ending (kinda sarcastic though we did draft a long snapper this year)...