Cutdown day chatter

Klomp

8 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

We had tried to sign him when he was a free agent. Likely the new nickel corner with Mack Alexander showing he's still not ready.

Meh I'm a little nervous about this. I really hope we didn't give up too much to make this happen.

11 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

We had tried to sign him when he was a free agent. Likely the new nickel corner with Mack Alexander showing he's still not ready.

I won't pretend to know more than Zimmer but I don't see Alexander working in the slot.  He is an undersized boundary corner that lacks the speed and quickness to cover slot receivers.  I don't dislike him and actually think he could be fine playing on the outside but man does it piss me off that we could have had Whitehair.

This is why I said losing Munnerlyn was a bigger blow than many let on.

6 minutes ago, Freakout said:

I won't pretend to know more than Zimmer but I don't see Alexander working in the slot.  He is an undersized boundary corner that lacks the speed and quickness to cover slot receivers.  I don't dislike him and actually think he could be fine playing on the outside but man does it piss me off that we could have had Whitehair.

Good moves with cutting Clemmings and trading for CB depth.

im not terribly worried about boundary CB, I think Waynes/Newman will be fine. Slot is worrisome. Alexander hasn't performed well, might be Brock's job.

5 minutes ago, Freakout said:

I disagree.  Just because Alexander is still developing in the slot doesn't mean that he can't play there.  He was actually pretty decent throughout preseason, but did continually get burned by Doug Baldwin.  Baldwin is a really good WR and has given Munnerlyn fits in the past before.  I think Alexander will be fine in another year or so.

2 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I disagree.  Just because Alexander is still developing in the slot doesn't mean that he can't play there.  He was actually pretty decent throughout preseason, but did continually get burned by Doug Baldwin.  Baldwin is a really good WR and has given Munnerlyn fits in the past before.  I think Alexander will be fine in another year or so.

Just my personal opinion but I think something is wrong when it takes 2-3 years to get average production from your 1st and 2nd round draft choices.

8 minutes ago, Freakout said:

Just my personal opinion but I think something is wrong when it takes 2-3 years to get average production from your 1st and 2nd round draft choices.

I sort of agree, it's worrisome anyway. However, Zimmer has a track record of not rolling the dice with young CBs, it's just his preference. I know there was a reference to Treadwell with this comment, no one saw Thielen breaking out and the injuries didn't help. 

My concern more along the lines of using those early picks on immediate impact players. If you know you're going to sit a young CB for 2-3 years, find that player in round 3 or 4.

4 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Hadn't remembered him as a Gophers DB.....probably because he was only here one year.

Archived