OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

7 minutes ago, braylon said:

I won't be happy unless we kill the clock running the ball. Seconds pass much more quickly between plays if you ran the ball the play prior as opposed to passing.

The problem with that is this is exactly how you go from winning by a large margin, to potentially losing the game.   Yes we need to work the clock.  But we also need to extend drives.  Running on 3rd and long is not the answer for late 3rd and early 4th quarter drives with a big lead.  You still need to play to score and maintain your lead.  

Yes, 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, you stuff the ball down their throat.   But 3rd quarter up 14, with 6 minutes left until the 4th, you do not run on 4th and 10.  

Just now, Tomahawk said:

The problem with that is this is exactly how you go from winning by a large margin, to potentially losing the game.   Yes we need to work the clock.  But we also need to extend drives.  Running on 3rd and long is not the answer for late 3rd and early 4th quarter drives with a big lead.  You still need to play to score and maintain your lead.  

Yes, 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, you stuff the ball down their throat.   But 3rd quarter up 14, with 6 minutes left until the 4th, you do not run on 4th and 10.  

I think he was kidding...

2 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Yeah, don't worry, I was just poking fun at those that think we HAVE to run the ball to kill the clock. I 100% have faith in Baker's ability, no matter the time of the game. That would include making and completing high percentage throws at the end of a game to kill the clock.

Just kind of summarizing what we’ve all felt and known about the defense. This also tells me the Ravens are totally screwed. Chargers had a billion safeties on the field and shut the Ravens down.

Now, with Genard Avery noticeably getting more reps at defensive end instead of linebacker during offseason workouts, the Browns are setting themselves up to lean heavily on a two-linebacker scheme, according to Cleveland.com’s Terry Pluto.

Pluto reminded us all that the Browns employ a 4-3 defensive base, but cited research  done by the Browns, as well as other teams, that the alignment is actually “only on the field 15 to 20 percent of the time.”

“That’s because the pass-obsessed NFL is forcing teams to defend with more defensive backs,” Pluto wrote.

One of the bigger storylines to come out of OTAs and mini camp was the fact that new defensive coordinator Steve Wilks was using three safeties, in addition to his four down lineman and two linebackers.

Archived