OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Tayne blames the toilets flushing in reverse for the post above.

I talking two years down the track as a possibilty. I'd rather keep Baker, ward, garret over obj, but it depends how it all plays out. 

If obj gets back into HOF form obviously we keep him. If he develops a strong relationship with Baker, hunt, njoku, we probably dont need Landry anymore.

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

I talking two years down the track as a possibilty. I'd rather keep Baker, ward, garret over obj, but it depends how it all plays out. 

If obj gets back into HOF form obviously we keep him. If he develops a strong relationship with Baker, hunt, njoku, we probably dont need Landry anymore.

Way too soon to worry about any of that imo. Yeah, we paid Jarvis #1 WR money and he was somewhat disappointing as a #1 but that isn't who he is. He should fare much better in his role this year. Yeah he will still be overpaid but if we can work around his contract we should.

OBJ shouldn't be going anywhere.

Hopefully we are a great offensive team and can enjoy that while we can.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Way too soon to worry about any of that imo. Yeah, we paid Jarvis #1 WR money and he was somewhat disappointing as a #1 but that isn't who he is. He should fare much better in his role this year. Yeah he will still be overpaid but if we can work around his contract we should.

OBJ shouldn't be going anywhere.

Hopefully we are a great offensive team and can enjoy that while we can.

Just thinking of the future of the team from a contracts point of view. By the time 2021 comes around we dont know where the cap will be. If there is a big boost then all of longer contracts will be more reasonable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I don't think we have the line for an elite run game, I dont see enough push from c, rg, et, unless we move Robinson to rt, and Harrison to lt. 

Wait..... What?  Based on what?  Interior line was one of our biggest strengths last year, and why the line graded out in the top 5.  We have questions with RG at this point, but there is nothing to indicate they won't get "push".

With the weapons/options we have on offense this year, along with Baker and Chubb maturation, there is no reason not to believe that the run game won't improve.  The average attempts of the top 10 rushing attempts last year was 268.  Even if Chubb's ypc goes down to say 4.5, he is still looking at over 1,200 yards this year.  Zeke had 308 carries, and 1,400 yards to lead the league....  What do you consider an elite run game? Because I would argue we were close last year.

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Landry is the most over payed player on our roster, he makes 75% of what odell makes but is half the player at best.

Again.... What?! 

I would argue that Vernon is now the most overpaid player.  

Landry is not OBJ.  I'll give you that.  But half the player?  Are you high?  Landry is literally the best possession receiver in the game since entering the league.  The only reason his salary is a question mark is we now have OBJ's salary as well.  Even with that, I don't see the Browns moving on from him until after the 2020 season.  There would be no reason to.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Again.... What?! 

I would argue that Vernon is now the most overpaid player.  

Landry is not OBJ.  I'll give you that.  But half the player?  Are you high?  Landry is literally the best possession receiver in the game since entering the league.  The only reason his salary is a question mark is we now have OBJ's salary as well.  Even with that, I don't see the Browns moving on from him until after the 2020 season.  There would be no reason to.  

Landry is also an exceptional locker room/community guy.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Landry is also an exceptional locker room/community guy.

Honestly there is zero chance we cut him ever.  I think we can agree that Jarvis is far and above better than Tyrell Williams, and the Raiders gave him 11 mill a year.  It's safe to assume that the trend is going to be 10-14mill a year for decent/reliable WR2.  Salaries don't trend down.  By the time 2021 rolls around 14.5 million for the best possession receiver in the game(granting he doesn't regress) is going to seem like a steal. 

In so far as trading him goes.  That is definitely a possibility.  I just don't see it happening before 2021 after the draft.  

if that is the attitude he is approaching his job with... he will earn the respect of every FO member, every coach, and every guy on the roster, and after week1 he will have the respect of every opposing WR and QB. 

With the size and athletic ability he has, only thing that would be a road bump in his career would be work ethic. Hot damn this kid is hungry and is ready to work. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

if that is the attitude he is approaching his job with... he will earn the respect of every FO member, every coach, and every guy on the roster, and after week1 he will have the respect of every opposing WR and QB. 

With the size and athletic ability he has, only thing that would be a road bump in his career would be work ethic. Hot damn this kid is hungry and is ready to work. 

Absolutely

Next step: Willingness to stick his nose in and tackle.

If he does these two things, we will have gotten lottery pick value in the 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Absolutely

If he does these two things, we will have gotten lottery pick value in the 2nd round.

Eh if he covers well enough he doesn’t really have to tackle all that much 

6 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Eh if he covers well enough he doesn’t really have to tackle all that much 

Yeah, I'm not looking for him to be Antoine Winfield or anything, just able to tackle a RB occasionally and tackle WR's after they make catches on short/intermediate routes, especially digs, slants, and sticks.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Absolutely

Yeah I’ve changed my opinion on his ability to tackle. If he can cover and force break ups and QBs to avoid his side of the field, that greatly outweighs his lack of tackling. Also tackling is a team mentality. As long as the coaches preach it, it should improve. Last year our defense only cared about TOs. So rarely did we ever see guys worry about securing the tackle first before attempting to knock the ball lose

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah I’ve changed my opinion on his ability to tackle. If he can cover and force break ups and QBs to avoid his side of the field, that greatly outweighs his lack of tackling.

Unless he's Prime Time or Richard Sherman, people aren't going to avoid throwing his way. Teams will still hit slants/sticks on him, so he needs to be willing to solo tackle on these routes, otherwise he WILL be a liability.