Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

On 5/14/2019 at 10:30 AM, dll2000 said:

Ravens fascinate me this year.  They have built a college offense.  They won't be throwing it together mid-season this year like last year following Flacco injury, they will have entire off season to prep and prepare it and add wrinkles.  

They have done what you have to do to run this style.  Bring in multiple QBs with similar skill sets and don't care if they get hurt.  They will have to break tendency and actually give back ups practice reps which few NFL teams do particularly in season.  If they don't that could monkey wrench the season when/if top guy goes down.  

Everyone assumes it will fall apart quickly this year because DCs will figure it out.  I am not so sure.  College DCs have been trying to stop this style of offense for two decades with mixed success.  It isn't that easy.   There is a reason, well prior to last season, that college teams score a lot more than NFL teams.  They have misdirection and the QB is a running threat.  Prior to last handful of seasons NFL had done little of either for many years.  Instead relying on complex passing concepts employed by a heady and accurate big armed QB complemented by a basic zone running attack and play action off same.  Problem is heady, big armed QBs are few and far between.  College and HS game is filled with running QBs as that is both easier and more effective to implement and win games.  

They also get the advantage of being only team running such a scheme.  They get better at it each week and you get one week to prepare for something completely different than everything else you prepare for.  

Baltimore may have a problem defensively though as they lost a lot of talent in a short time.  

You bring up something I've maintained since the Colts dabbled with the wishbone in the '80s. If a team is willing to hold, and develop, a trio (or more) of QBs with a strong running mentality, and develop a college style offense (pure option, etc.), they may well prove to be very difficult to stop. Apologies as to ignoring the rest of the stuff you posted, but this possibility has fascinated me for decades. 

• Like 1

People nationally argue Bears 2019 season from a stand point that MT is what he is.  Not that good. 

At OTAs all I hear is this guy has taken another step.  Not that he throws better or runs faster, but he knows basics now and has moved on to play adjustments.  

That's huge.  If you recall Bears did very well last year in early drives because those were plays they repped all week.  Then as game would go on offense would often stagnate.  

He couldn't properly run whole playbook or make adjustments to what a defense was showing pre snap or doing after snap.  Everyone understood that would be the case, so I dont understand why that isnt factored in for ths season.  

I know things don't always move linear and upward year to year like people expect, but to me there is little question QB play will be better in 2019.  

• Like 1

People come here and assume I am a homer and take everything I say with a grain of salt.  I am a homer and am biased, but I have always been honest in my assessment of Bears prospects. 

For many years I have never thought Bears were a title contender.  During SB season I thought they over achieved. I hoped they would win, but I never truely thought they would beat Manning and Colts of that season even when they got to SB.

In 2013 I thought they would have real good offense with Forte and Marshall and Jeffrey and the Giants TE and Bushrod coming from NO, but defense wasn't going to be good enough to be a contender.

I was just a boy, but I knew they were a contender in '85.  That was last time I though so until 2019. 

I legit think Bears are pre season contenders this year.  Meaning they have as good a chance as anybody in paper.

Two biggest things people are down on are lack of belief in MT and loss of Fangio.  I addressed MT above.

Looking at defensive roster who in NFL is better on paper?  There are teams that are arguably as good or better at a position group, but all 3 groups together?  I don't see any.  They are at or near top 5 at all 3 levels. I wouldn't swap Mack for any OLB. I wouldn't swap Smith and Trevathan for any two ILBs.  I wouldn't swap Jackson and Dix for any two safeties.  

Pagano is a good coach.  There will be bad games, officiating can make a huge difference in today's game and it can result in high scores. 

I think only thing that derail a deep playoff run is key injuries and an awful kicker.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

During SB season I thought they over achieved. I hoped they would win, but I never truely thought they would beat Manning and Colts of that season even when they got to SB.

As I recall, they were extremely lucky that year, too. I mean, overly so. I thought they'd beat the Colts in the Super Bowl, though. While I didn't have much confidence in Grossman, that Colts defense wasn't very good. 

On 01/06/2019 at 1:44 PM, dll2000 said:

Trubisky seen chugging beers at Sox game wth linemen. 

Beer, Sox game, drinking with linemen.  

Nothing good can come from this.  

The fact Mitch is 10x better at chugging a beer than Aaron Rodgers made me very, very happy.

I loved as well that he had the O-line block for him when he threw the first pitch haha.

Edited by RJ_11
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

The fact Mitch is 10x better at chugging a beer than Aaron Rodgers made me very, very happy.

I loved as well that he had the O-line block for him when he threw the first pitch haha.

I'm pretty sure Danica could have thrown back the beer faster than A-a-ron. 

Getting the OL out there was awesome. I doubt there us an OL in the NFL who didn't like that move. Very cool. 

56 minutes ago, soulman said:

Random thoughts on a Sunday.........

A man walks down the street
He says, Why am I short of attention?
Got a short little span of attention
And whoa, my nights are so long!
Where's my wife and family?
What if I die here?
Who'll be my role-model?
Now that my role-model is
Gone, gone

Wow. That is random...xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Random thoughts on a Sunday.........

A man walks down the street
He says, Why am I short of attention?
Got a short little span of attention
And whoa, my nights are so long!
Where's my wife and family?
What if I die here?
Who'll be my role-model?
Now that my role-model is
Gone, gone

Al needed a different role model. 

• Like 1

Just Missed

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-3-24-23-PMMaking a Roquan Smith video and screen shot this from game 1.  Ugh.  

This was difference between Bears winning and losing week 1 and a likely first round bye.  Like an inch.  :(

That was shot of 75 yard game winning TD after Jackson went for ball and missed.  Jackson broke nicely on Cobb when Rodgers should have thrown it, but Rodgers had a lot of time to throw on this play and held the ball like he does allowing the extra move and space.  

The TE chipped and blocked Mack with OT, then Mack dropped into coverage on no one for some reason (Fangio!).  Trevathan got stoned by guard on a straight rush.  They didn't disguise it or run a stunt or anything (Fangio!).  Guard was like okay this is easy, come right at me I outweigh you by a 85 lbs.  Thanks!  Floyd started to rush over other guard, but back leaked so he went with him. RRH didn't get close and got rode out of play by OT on a pretty sad rush attempt.  Hicks provided some pressure, but because Floyd left the guard got to double on Hicks.  You could tell Hicks was tired at this point and he couldn't finish with Rodgers dancing around an RRH running way out of play.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1