Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

This a really good article that illustrates why NFL is not nearly as creative as college and high school at running various RPO's.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/2/12/17003364/rpo-run-pass-options-nfl-college-rules

I can sum it up more quickly and succinct in two points if you don't want to read it.

1) In NFL the rule is OL can only be 1 yard downfield.  In college and high school it is 3 yards.  That difference is huge.  To be fair though the NFL refs often give the NFL O linemen more than a yard.  But in college and high school they often get more than 3 LOL.   Anyway like I said that difference is huge.  It makes it really difficult to run power, ISO or IZ as an RPO concept which from experience is best and most effective way to run an RPO.   It puts so much stress on a defense.  It is really difficult to defend.  

(I think they should change the NFL rule to match).  

2) In college and high school the R in RPO is usually the QB which puts defense a man down or at least makes it even. In modern high school football the best athlete on team who can also throw in any competent sense is who you usually make the QB.  That gives you one more decoy, receiver or blocker.   In NFL they seldom want the R to to be the QB, which takes 1 man out of run threat equation.

While football is the most creative of all sports because it has the most variables.  When you actually start white boarding plays you realize a lot of offensive vs. defensive strategy in any scheme boils down to how do I get a numbers advantage somewhere or at least even numbers.  

The rest is how do I get a one on one match up (so I can choose someone favorable) or get my best athlete the ball in space.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think 1 is the point everyone misses.  People are analzying someone's first year on a job with very little prior experience and training.  Most people are bad in that year. 

MT was actually better than I expected last year all things considered. To say 2018 MT is what he is and always will be as a QB is kind of ridiculous.  But lots of serious people are doing just that.

It wasn't just new offense, it was basically his rookie year.  In 2017 he got very little offseason reps as Glennon had to be trained in new O.  He took over in season and was asked to do very little and taught very little.  Only real value of 2017 was getting used to big stage. 

By the way Fox kept him reined in by and large they were about as valuable as preseason games as a test of his abilities.

It's traditional for the Bears to always have a QB problem so.......even if we don't have one some must invent one for the focus on an article because some of those morons aren't clever enough to find a new slant.

To me it's a lot like....."oh, oh".  "Looks like Happy's learned to putt".  xD

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That is a scorching hot take, that is not going to age well.

He said it during their podcast this morning.   I think he had him 12th or 15th or something.  

I think he was in top 10 on their combined list, but bottom half.

Real arrogant dude, like everyone is dumb except him.  Reminds me of Lombardi.

• Like 1