Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

He said it during their podcast this morning.   I think he had him 12th or 15th or something.  

I think he was in top 10 on their combined list, but bottom half.

Real arrogant dude, like everyone is dumb except him.  Reminds me of Lombardi.

This seems to be a common issue amongst most of the analytics guys.  They are so heavily reliant on their "models" and formulas they dont recognize that football is the sport where advance metrics mean the least.  They'll point to a spreadsheet and you know they wouldnt have clue 1 what they were looking at if they watched "tape"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This seems to be a common issue amongst most of the analytics guys.  They are so heavily reliant on their "models" and formulas they dont recognize that football is the sport where advance metrics mean the least.  They'll point to a spreadsheet and you know they wouldnt have clue 1 what they were looking at if they watched "tape"

This guy talks like he is a tape guy.  He throws around a lot of scheme coach speak, I know what he is saying I could do that here in a lot of areas, but it makes you sound like a ******.  He is like an academic using big words to impress.   I am in Einstein camp.  If you can't explain your mind to a 6 year old you don't understand it all that well.  Using industry terms doesn't impress me.  

He probably knows what he is talking about, but he values different things.  He also gets a lot of his opinions from NFL sources I think.  

He says people think Eddie Jackson is good because of interceptions.  He says safety interception are mostly luck and can change year to year.

I couldn't disagree more.  A player who can make splash plays with some regularity is huge.  Ed Reed was like that and he made that defense elite.

You notice how Mack has advanced to point where he doesn't go for tackles anymore?  He goes for the ball and he gets it out a lot.  That little thing takes a "pressure" and multiplies it by several magnitudes. 

Eddie Jackson is advancing to that point.  

Jimmy Johnson called players who make splash plays 'momentum changers.'  It is a huge asset for your team to have momentum changers.   One reason I am pumped is Bears have a number of them on roster.

Mack and Jackson are best two.  But Cohen can flip a field on any given play or punt return.  Patterson is a threat to return a kick the distance.  Many other Bears are raking at football now on every play.  It gets contagious.  

We don't have a ton of players who can take ball to house offensively from distance, but that is rare in NFL anyway.   We do have Cohen, Patterson and Gabriel.    Miller was open deep a bunch last year.   So maybe we do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

This guy talks like he is a tape guy.  He throws around a lot of scheme coach speak, I know what he is saying I could do that here in a lot of areas, but it makes you sound like a ******.  He is like an academic using big words to impress.   I am in Einstein camp.  If you can't explain your mind to a 6 year old you don't understand it all that well.  Using industry terms doesn't impress me.  

He probably knows what he is talking about, but he values different things.  He also gets a lot of his opinions from NFL sources I think.  

He says people think Eddie Jackson is good because of interceptions.  He says safety interception are mostly luck and can change year to year.

I couldn't disagree more.  A player who can make splash plays with some regularity is huge.  Ed Reed was like that and he made that defense elite.

You notice how Mack has advanced to point where he doesn't go for tackles anymore?  He goes for the ball and he gets it out a lot.  That little thing takes a "pressure" and multiplies it by several magnitudes. 

Eddie Jackson is advancing to that point.  

Jimmy Johnson called players who make splash plays 'momentum changers.'  It is a huge asset for your team to have momentum changers.   One reason I am pumped is Bears have a number of them on roster.

Mack and Jackson are best two.  But Cohen can flip a field on any given play or punt return.  Patterson is a threat to return a kick the distance.  Many other Bears are raking at football now on every play.  It gets contagious.  

We don't have a ton of players who can take ball to house offensively from distance, but that is rare in NFL anyway.   We do have Cohen, Patterson and Gabriel.    Miller was open deep a bunch last year.   So maybe we do. 

I was expecting something like that, the thing is, when you watch the tape what you find is Eddie actually creating the plays that he makes.  Yes, safety interceptions can often be the result of just being there when a QB misses a throw, but when Eddie anticipates the throw to jump the route, or runs the route for the WR and high points the ball, or forces the fumble and returns it to the house it isnt luck.  It's his exceptional skill. Their is a big reason he has been a big playmaker his first 2 years in the league.

• Like 2

I was okay with us picking up Hunt given totality of circumstances.  

Hill is worth 10x what Hunt is worth to an offense on the field, but I would never want Hill.

His dumb butt should remember one day that little boy will be a grown man at same time he is old.  He will remember what happened with his mom and him.  He better make some amends before then.

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of big names are holding out on contenders.

Good for Bears.

I worry where we may be at with this next offseason. Jackson will probably be taken care of by next July but I’m guessing Cohen won’t be and he may look to leverage his way to an extension. Floyd too if he’s still here. And possibly Robinson if he has a big 2019. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I worry where we may be at with this next offseason. Jackson will probably be taken care of by next July but I’m guessing Cohen won’t be and he may look to leverage his way to an extension. Floyd too if he’s still here. And possibly Robinson if he has a big 2019. 

Next year is next year.  Pace has a plan.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, dll2000 said:

Media disrespect for Chicago continues.  

Main MMQB analyst says Eddie Jackson isn’t in his top 10 safeties and is only all pro because fans overrate him. 

Eddie Jackson is 12th or lower best safety in league. Pfft.

The below writer nicely illustrates why that is madness and that guy needs to be fired as an analyst.  

How many safeties can charge the box and realize oh **** Odell Beckham (according to media hype is an all time great WR) is running loose and free behind me on a deep crossing route.  Not only recover, but make a freaking interception!   

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/index.php?threads/random-thoughts-into-the-season-eddie-jackson.72480/

Edited by dll2000