Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

Random Thoughts for May 2019

Recommended Posts

https://deadspin.com/kyler-murrays-snap-clap-might-be-a-problem-1837299279

Alternative headline: FIRST OVERALL PICK has the most rudimentary snap cadence possible and his coach is already having to work the officials to make it not so easy for professional defenders to abuse its simplicity. 

I’m sure this is fine. 

(Insert Kevin Bacon Animal House All Is Well gif)

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

https://deadspin.com/kyler-murrays-snap-clap-might-be-a-problem-1837299279

Alternative headline: FIRST OVERALL PICK has the most rudimentary snap cadence possible and his coach is already having to work the officials to make it not so easy for professional defenders to abuse its simplicity. 

I’m sure this is fine. 

(Insert Kevin Bacon Animal House All Is Well gif)

So week 1 everything is outside the numbers and short, this week he cant complete a pass down the field and cant even execute the snap properly.  This is gonna end well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So week 1 everything is outside the numbers and short, this week he cant complete a pass down the field and cant even execute the snap properly.  This is gonna end well.

I have no clue how Murray's career pans out but I think we're all overreacting here a bit. I've listed countless examples of the fact that preseason is meaningless. Kingsbury is kind of a blowhard but he had a good start and then a bad one. That happens to rookies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been saying this whenever regression arguments pop up.  One of points beside losing Fangio is always Bears good fortune with health in 2018:

— I keep hearing about how “the Bears stayed healthy last season.” This is especially brought up by those who are expecting a regression in 2019. Except it’s not really accurate. Sure, the Bears stayed much healthier than they did in the John Fox era, but that’s a pretty low bar. And it’s also true that they managed to avoid catastrophic (a.k.a. season-ending) injuries to their top players. That’s a reality that will be tough to repeat this year. That said, Khalil Mack missed two games and was limited in two others — that’s a quarter of the season. Mitchell Trubisky missed two games. Allen Robinson missed three. Kyle Long missed eight. And Eddie Jackson missed the final three games, including the playoff loss. The latter injury was a particularly tough blow. There’s more: Nickelback Bryce Callahan suffered a season-ending injury in Week 14. Anthony Miller played with a torn labrum for almost the entire season. Adam Shaheen’s foot/ankle injury had a bigger impact than most realize and the club Leonard Floyd had to wear on his hand early in the season was significant as well. I just named nine key players that either missed games or were significantly limited by an injury. Just something to remember before claiming that the Bears were healthy in 2018.

- Hoge 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing I noticed with Roquan's blizes, college and pro, is you see him coming and you think in your head you have time to dodge and throw.  But you don't, because he is coming faster than you think.  

He is not your average Bear.  It's early, but this is one of best blitzing Lbs I have ever seen or scouted.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 7:57 AM, dll2000 said:

Been saying this whenever regression arguments pop up.  One of points beside losing Fangio is always Bears good fortune with health in 2018:

— I keep hearing about how “the Bears stayed healthy last season.” This is especially brought up by those who are expecting a regression in 2019. Except it’s not really accurate. Sure, the Bears stayed much healthier than they did in the John Fox era, but that’s a pretty low bar. And it’s also true that they managed to avoid catastrophic (a.k.a. season-ending) injuries to their top players. That’s a reality that will be tough to repeat this year. That said, Khalil Mack missed two games and was limited in two others — that’s a quarter of the season. Mitchell Trubisky missed two games. Allen Robinson missed three. Kyle Long missed eight. And Eddie Jackson missed the final three games, including the playoff loss. The latter injury was a particularly tough blow. There’s more: Nickelback Bryce Callahan suffered a season-ending injury in Week 14. Anthony Miller played with a torn labrum for almost the entire season. Adam Shaheen’s foot/ankle injury had a bigger impact than most realize and the club Leonard Floyd had to wear on his hand early in the season was significant as well. I just named nine key players that either missed games or were significantly limited by an injury. Just something to remember before claiming that the Bears were healthy in 2018.

- Hoge 

I said all of that in the GB forum last year and they laughed as if it isn't fact. Amukamara missed one too, against the Pats iirc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Thing I noticed with Roquan's blizes, college and pro, is you see him coming and you think in your head you have time to dodge and throw.  But you don't, because he is coming faster than you think.  

He is not your average Bear.  It's early, but this is one of best blitzing Lbs I have ever seen or scouted.  

I recall last summer before we acquired Mack how fans were worried about a lack of a pass rush and I thought about how Fangio might use Smith more on blitzes if Floyd and Lynch weren't bringing enough pressure.  Roquan is like a heat seeking missile.  Once he draws a bead on a QB not many can escape him if any.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soulman said:

I recall last summer before we acquired Mack how fans were worried about a lack of a pass rush and I thought about how Fangio might use Smith more on blitzes if Floyd and Lynch weren't bringing enough pressure.  Roquan is like a heat seeking missile.  Once he draws a bead on a QB not many can escape him if any.

FWIW that 2011 Ravens D of which Pagano was the DC only had Suggs as a legitimate pass rusher and it ended up with 34 sacks beyond what Suggs gave. Assuming Mack in the Suggs role, I’d put the rest of our front 7 ahead of that one or at minimum on par as far as other pass rushers go. Suggs is my guy forever, but he or Mack and I give Mack a slight edge. Both are HOF though so we’re splitting hairs there. BAL didn’t have a DL nearly as talented as Hicks as a pass rusher, and Roquan is already as good and arguably better as a blitzer than Lewis ever was but certainly by age 36 Lewis in 2011. Floyd and Lynch is at worst a push with 2011 McPhee and Kruger. Goldman and Ngata from a pass rush perspective is a relative push, and Nichols and RRE have both been better pass rushers than anyone on that BAL roster in that spot. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW that 2011 Ravens D of which Pagano was the DC only had Suggs as a legitimate pass rusher and it ended up with 34 sacks beyond what Suggs gave. Assuming Mack in the Suggs role, I’d put the rest of our front 7 ahead of that one or at minimum on par as far as other pass rushers go. Suggs is my guy forever, but he or Mack and I give Mack a slight edge. Both are HOF though so we’re splitting hairs there. BAL didn’t have a DL nearly as talented as Hicks as a pass rusher, and Roquan is already as good and arguably better as a blitzer than Lewis ever was but certainly by age 36 Lewis in 2011. Floyd and Lynch is at worst a push with 2011 McPhee and Kruger. Goldman and Ngata from a pass rush perspective is a relative push, and Nichols and RRE have both been better pass rushers than anyone on that BAL roster in that spot. 

Gonna be like the '85 Bears.  We're gonna put a stop watch on QBs......Tastypuddle.gif.  LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

 

People say RBs aren't worth paying but Christian McCaffery added to this roster would mean an extra 5-6 points per game in my estimation.  He would fit us like a glove and he is a stud.

If he just played WR and not RB he would be top 10 easy and top 2 or 3 slot receiver.  He carried Carolina's offense last year.  They had nothing without him.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People say RBs aren't worth paying but Christian McCaffery added to this roster would mean an extra 5-6 points per game in my estimation.  He would fit us like a glove and he is a stud.

If he just played WR and not RB he would be top 10 easy and top 2 or 3 slot receiver.  He carried Carolina's offense last year.  They had nothing without him.

 

 

 

There's a reason the rumors were that McCaffrey was #2 on Pace's board in 2017, and although Cohen's probably notch below McCaffrey, he got Cohen 3 rounds later and he's doing a really good job.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

People say RBs aren't worth paying but Christian McCaffery added to this roster would mean an extra 5-6 points per game in my estimation.  He would fit us like a glove and he is a stud.

I really think we’re going to see far more of Cohen featured as a receiver this year with a more fitting and capable feature back in Montgomery. 70 catches and 70 carries doesn’t sound terribly out of whack to me. I really think we’re going to want Montgomery on the field on most downs. Getting Cohen on that Tyreek Hill type jet action to me seems like something we could see a lot, especially when the running variation with Montgomery on the plays where the action is a decoy puts the ball in a player more capable of exploiting space created on the back side of that set. I think Cohen as the quick slant/drag on an RPO could be explosive in getting him the ball already at the second level where he’s most dangerous too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...