Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

1 minute ago, soulman said:

All well said.  Some things are just not easily quantified yet PFF tries to sell it as everything can be quantified and every player accurately rated and ranked based on their data and that's just not so.

It is however how you can use that data to promote your fee based services to info hungry fans.  I much prefer those analyses Jonathan Woods does that provide us with info from which to draw our own conclusions.

It goes on and on.  If I eat two blockers entire play and hold my ground on LINE OF SCRIMMAGE from a coaching standpoint that is a job well done and greatly helps defense as a whole.  But that gets probably gets zero credit in a grade or statistic its just a null.  Similarly if I get pushed back a few yards maybe it looks like no big deal since I am being doubled, but my big butt may have sealed off a knifing 2nd or 3rd lvl player from getting to play.   

If I freelance and shoot a gap I might get into backfield and get a positive grade, but maybe I allowed a blocker free on small linebacker and result was a successful play.  I look good, LB looks bad.  I get good grade, LB gets bad grade.  But it should be opposite and I don't know it.  

This is just D Line still.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It goes on and on.  If I eat two blockers entire play and hold my ground on LINE OF SCRIMMAGE from a coaching standpoint that is a job well done and greatly helps defense as a whole.  But that gets probably gets zero credit in a grade or statistic its just a null.  Similarly if I get pushed back a few yards maybe it looks like no big deal since I am being doubled, but my big butt may have sealed off a knifing 2nd or 3rd lvl player from getting to play.   

If I freelance and shoot a gap I might get into backfield and get a positive grade, but maybe I allowed a blocker free on small linebacker and result was a successful play.  I look good, LB looks bad.  I get good grade, LB gets bad grade.  But it should be opposite and I don't know it.  

This is just D Line still. 

Posts like this are why you're my boo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, soulman said:

I have two random thoughts.

1) Do we need to change the title of this thread to Random Thoughts for June 2019 or start a new thread.

2) What sounds better for dinner tonight, pizza or Chinese?

1- Doesn't matter to me.

2 - Chinese. There are a few exceptions but generally that is going to be my vote.

• Like 1

What did you guys think of End Game? 

Finally saw it with my son last night.  

I think they could have edited about half the movie out and not lost anything. A couple of scenes were PC cringe.  But I was generally entertained and it had some genuinely emotional moments.  

Not a spoiler because it’s in trailers, I just read 2 time travel novels so I was burnt out on time travel theory and talk. Thankfully they didn’t over do it.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

What did you guys think of End Game? 

Finally saw it with my son last night.  

I think they could have edited about half the movie out and not lost anything. A couple of scenes were PC cringe.  But I was generally entertained and it had some genuinely emotional moments.  

Not a spoiler because it’s in trailers, I just read 2 time travel novels so I was burnt out on time travel theory and talk. Thankfully they didn’t over do it.  

It's June now, time for another thread. :D

End Game is good because of the sheer number of cool moments it bombards us with. The plot is a big time mess, however. When you have the writers and directors explaining things weeks after the movie is out--and most of those explanations don't even make sense--ya got some big time script problems. Good movie, but easily the worst Avengers movie, and in the lower tier of the Marvel output, overall. 

• Like 1

We don't need a new thread. As I already pointed out in this exact same thread, we already had a random bears thoughts started, it's just whoever created  this thread either didn't see it or didn't understand the title (shout out Ty for the spelling of thoughts/thots)

The last post in this thread ^^ was May 8th. the first post in this thread was less than a week later, so the above thread should have been on the front page

If you want to talk about random non-bear thoughts, we have the above thread already opened for that. it is also on the front page.

we don't need to rename this thread, we just need to use the ones that are already open to consolidate and not have so many open threads about the same things

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It's June now, time for another thread. :D

End Game is good because of the sheer number of cool moments it bombards us with. The plot is a big time mess, however. When you have the writers and directors explaining things weeks after the movie is out--and most of those explanations don't even make sense--ya got some big time script problems. Good movie, but easily the worst Avengers movie, and in the lower tier of the Marvel output, overall. 

There are three different movies all titled End Game so I'm gonna assume it's the latest and last (???) Avengers movie.

Haven't seen it and most likely won't see it.  Not really my thing.

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

We don't need a new thread. As I already pointed out in this exact same thread, we already had a random bears thoughts started, it's just whoever created  this thread either didn't see it or didn't understand the title (shout out Ty for the spelling of thoughts/thots)

The last post in this thread ^^ was May 8th. the first post in this thread was less than a week later, so the above thread should have been on the front page

If you want to talk about random non-bear thoughts, we have the above thread already opened for that. it is also on the front page.

we don't need to rename this thread, we just need to use the ones that are already open to consolidate and not have so many open threads about the same things

Um.....I was kinda joking about the part about renaming the thread but not about the pizza or Chinese.  That was serious or as serious as I typically get with my random thoughts.  Most are NSFW so they never appear here. :$

And why all the sensitivity about new threads?  You've objected to this before and I've explained my thinking to you.

I enjoy keeping fresh content posted both as FYI posts and for discussion or debate.  Burying it on page 10 of an existing and very long thread seldom serves that purpose as well.  The media posts new stories or new angles on old stories daily so why not keep the front page fresh with the latest knowledge and information.  It keep members interested and also tends to attract new members.

If people log into any forum and see the same old threads day after day they tend to wander off in search of sites that remain more current.  I've been doing this for over 15 years now on several sites because it works so this ain't my first rodeo.  No one is required to respond and if they don't the thread dies and slides back in history anyway as they all will eventually to be replaced by others.

I'm not running a posting contest.  I'm only trying to keep information current and fresh for everyone's benefit including yours.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

Good choice but Chinese became Thai.  Needed something spicy in my life.  xD

Nothing wrong with Thai. I overdo it though, end up seat belted to the toilet seat. I can't do more spice than jalapenos but NEVER can resist when I go.

I'm 31, but my stomach is 81.

Worth it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Nothing wrong with Thai. I overdo it though, end up seat belted to the toilet seat. I can't do more spice than jalapenos but NEVER can resist when I go.

I'm 31, but my stomach is 81.

Worth it...

I typically stick with tamer Pad Thai or in this case a dish with chicken, curry, coconut milk, and noodles.  The heat level was about a three or maybe a four.  I can't do major spicy either so I stick with stuff in the mild to medium range.  Nothing insane like others I know.

• Like 1

I typically stick with tamer Pad Thai or in this case a dish with chicken, curry, coconut milk, and noodles.  The heat level was about a three or maybe a four.  I can't do major spicy either so I stick with stuff in the mild to medium range.  Nothing insane like others I know.

Wish inhad that self control. I often can't tell where the sweat behind and the years end. 

LOVE the burn going down, but not out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soulman said:

And why all the sensitivity about new threads?  You've objected to this before and I've explained my thinking to you.

I enjoy keeping fresh content posted both as FYI posts and for discussion or debate.  Burying it on page 10 of an existing and very long thread seldom serves that purpose as well.  The media posts new stories or new angles on old stories daily so why not keep the front page fresh with the latest knowledge and information.  It keep members interested and also tends to attract new members.

If people log into any forum and see the same old threads day after day they tend to wander off in search of sites that remain more current.  I've been doing this for over 15 years now on several sites because it works so this ain't my first rodeo.  No one is required to respond and if they don't the thread dies and slides back in history anyway as they all will eventually to be replaced by others.

I'm not running a posting contest.  I'm only trying to keep information current and fresh for everyone's benefit including yours.

My problem with all the new threads is i dont want to have to search through 18 different threads going back and forth to find the conversation that i am looking for because they are spread out. we literally have a thread for "this ain't bears talk," which would have been perfect for the "let me talk about what i think about other teams" that started this whole thing off. keep a subject in a thread and talk about it in that thread, don't start multiple threads over the same subject. if one of the threads starts getting off topic, for instance a thread about trubisky that turns into a page or two talking about shaheen, then by all means, create a new thread. 

additionally, by creating so many new threads about the same topic, it pushes existing threads that have already had a conversation started about them further down the board, making the whole thing far more cluttered. it kills conversations because people then have to move to a new thread to continue it, and we lose the continuance, like what happened in our random bear thoughts thread. 

you talk about people seeing the same threads day after day then wanting to leave, but if it's the same thread but it is adding pages, then its a conversation, who is going to wander off from that. I've been on this board for over a decade, and honestly this is turning me off. cool that this aint your first rodeo and you've seen it on other threads. the problem, again, is that people do want to respond, and so they do, and the conversation moves from one thread to another with no continuance. 

that is my issue, that is why i am sensitive about new threads. it clutters things, kills conversations, and makes things less organized.

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

My problem with all the new threads is i dont want to have to search through 18 different threads going back and forth to find the conversation that i am looking for because they are spread out. we literally have a thread for "this ain't bears talk," which would have been perfect for the "let me talk about what i think about other teams" that started this whole thing off. keep a subject in a thread and talk about it in that thread, don't start multiple threads over the same subject. if one of the threads starts getting off topic, for instance a thread about trubisky that turns into a page or two talking about shaheen, then by all means, create a new thread. 

additionally, by creating so many new threads about the same topic, it pushes existing threads that have already had a conversation started about them further down the board, making the whole thing far more cluttered. it kills conversations because people then have to move to a new thread to continue it, and we lose the continuance, like what happened in our random bear thoughts thread. 

you talk about people seeing the same threads day after day then wanting to leave, but if it's the same thread but it is adding pages, then its a conversation, who is going to wander off from that. I've been on this board for over a decade, and honestly this is turning me off. cool that this aint your first rodeo and you've seen it on other threads. the problem, again, is that people do want to respond, and so they do, and the conversation moves from one thread to another with no continuance. 

that is my issue, that is why i am sensitive about new threads. it clutters things, kills conversations, and makes things less organized.

Honestly I like having new threads.  Not too many so its spammy, but a few new ones a day is good to stay topical. 

I cant find anything in a search so to look for a comment or a thought I want to revisit in a 30+ page thread means I have to first guess the page and then literally hit next page and then I have to wait 5-10 seconds for next page to load and so on until I find it.  Then sometimes I realize I started past it and have to all the way back.  Takes forever.

Try finding something particular in a 100 page Packer thread.  

When convo gets stale in a thread its time to let it die and start a new one on something else.  Convo hot keep it going for a bit and make a part two before it gets too big.  

JMO though.  I'll go with flow if people are bothered. I am here for online in depth bears conversations.  Whatever stimualtes that best is what I am for.  

• Like 1