FF All-Time NBA Franchise Rankings: Who Is #30?

the lone star

Which NBA Franchise Is The Worst All-Time?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which NBA Franchise Is The Worst All-Time?

• Clippers
    • Timberwolves
    • Hornets/Bobcats
    • Pelicans
    • Grizzlies
    • Raptors
    • Nuggets
    • Pacers
    • Magic
    • Suns
    • Nets
    • Jazz

This has to come down to Clippers and Wolves, nobody else is in conversation. Hornets/Bobcats are incomparable IMO when they have had the hardest path to relevance, and they are still fighting for it, being an expansion team in a 29 team league (harder than being the expansion team in a 28 team league, which is harder than being... etc.) and have been around less than 20 years.

Between these two, it's the Clippers for me, easily. They have a slightly better win % than the Wolves... but unlike the Wolves, the Clippers weren't an expansion team (technically speaking they were, but the 70s saw half the current league enter the fold). On top of that, they have been located in LA for most of their existence. There are definitely downsides to that, having to be little brother to the Lakers, but even 2nd fiddle in LA has to beat out damn Minnesota in terms of FA attraction, right? Doubled edged sword no doubt, so you can take or leave that argument.

Both franchises really have only achieved one high in history. For the Clipper's franchise it was the Blake/CP3 era, which saw a few 50 win seasons and WCSF exits. An era which absolutely nobody looks back fondly on... The Wolves high was the early 00s with KG, a slew of 1st round exits but a lone season better than any in Clippers history, where they won 58 games and pushed the Lakers to 6 games in the West finals. I think people somewhat remember those Wolves teams, if for no other reason than that they had an MVP and all time great in Kevin Garnett. 

Ultimately I just look it as 30 years of incompetence vs 50 years of incompetence, which makes the choice pretty easy.

36 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This has to come down to Clippers and Wolves, nobody else is in conversation. Hornets/Bobcats are incomparable IMO when they have had the hardest path to relevance, and they are still fighting for it, being an expansion team in a 29 team league (harder than being the expansion team in a 28 team league, which is harder than being... etc.) and have been around less than 20 years.

Between these two, it's the Clippers for me, easily. They have a slightly better win % than the Wolves... but unlike the Wolves, the Clippers weren't an expansion team (technically speaking they were, but the 70s saw half the current league enter the fold). On top of that, they have been located in LA for most of their existence. There are definitely downsides to that, having to be little brother to the Lakers, but even 2nd fiddle in LA has to beat out damn Minnesota in terms of FA attraction, right? Doubled edged sword no doubt, so you can take or leave that argument.

Both franchises really have only achieved one high in history. For the Clipper's franchise it was the Blake/CP3 era, which saw a few 50 win seasons and WCSF exits. An era which absolutely nobody looks back fondly on... The Wolves high was the early 00s with KG, a slew of 1st round exits but a lone season better than any in Clippers history, where they won 58 games and pushed the Lakers to 6 games in the West finals. I think people somewhat remember those Wolves teams, if for no other reason than that they had an MVP and all time great in Kevin Garnett. 

Ultimately I just look it as 30 years of incompetence vs 50 years of incompetence, which makes the choice pretty easy.

Good arguments.