2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wrong.  I don't think the Lakers are the best run franchise, but I also don't subscribe to the theory that they're the worst run franchise either.  I do think Rob Pelinka has had his eyes on creating a max FA contract slot even with an Anthony Davis trade.  And I don't think the national media is out to get the Lakers.  I do think it's abundantly clear that NOBODY has a really good in with the Lakers.  It was Ramona, but it appears she's on the outside looking in on this one.

Lakers gonna have the big 5 next season. 

Rondo - KCP - Bron - Kuz - Davis

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

The risk of dealing Jordan Clarkson? What?

That deal for Davis isn't even being executed properly for them and the Lakers are in a panic trying to get it done right.

What about his other free agent signings? Waiving and stretching Deng?

If LeBron James won another championship in Cleveland, would he have signed with the Lakers?  I'm not sure, but it would have put the idea of remaining in Cleveland in LeBron's head IMO.  The Lakers took that gamble, and it's amazing that people want to discredit that move.

Being executed poorly?  That's because you're buying into the hype machine that ESPN is shoving down your throat.  We went from the Lakers would be unable to create max cap space unless they pushed the Anthony Davis trade back to the end of July to the Lakers "scrambling" to make moves to create that cap space just shows you how much ESPN (Woj in particular) doesn't know.  If you followed Woj with regards to the Lakers, it's abundantly clear that he has no connection to the Lakers' FO and doesn't get anything from them.  Year after year, which team can Woj not announce their pick ahead of time?  The Lakers.  Even when the whole AD trade saga was going down, it was clear that Shams was the one who was getting the cliff notes from the Lakers.

His FA signings?  With the exception of Michael Beasley, none of them were poor signings.  Rajon Rondo and JaVale McGee were good veterans to have on the roster.  Tyson Chandler was a solid midseason pickup.  Lance Stephenson wasn't great, but he wasn't a liability either.  Everyone knew they needed shooters, but the Lakers prioritized cap flexibility over anything else.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If it meant clearing max cap space for LeBron James, absolutely.  D'Angelo Russell blossomed in Brooklyn, not Los Angeles.  That was a deal that worked out for everyone.

Dude, come on. Can you really not admit that he has made bad moves?

The Deng Stetch was short sighted, and as an expiring this year could have likely been moved easier, and they would have the extra $5m needed for that final Max deal.

The Zubac trade was just indefensible, absolutely no reason to make that move. No matter what you think of Zubac's NBA future, he was an asset that they could have used.

And while I am in the camp that doesnt believe that Rob "just didnt know" about when to trade for AD (site the portion where the 3rd team traded for that pick) he still got severely out maneuvered there, even thought he was bringing in one of the best players in the NBA.

Thats on top of the AWFUL signings last summer, while letting Brook Lopez walk.

Dude is by no stretch of the imagination a good GM, and at this point, calling him anything North of Incompetent is a compliment for him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Dude is by no stretch of the imagination a good GM, and at this point, calling him anything North of Incompetent is a compliment for him.

But how will we ever know who was pulling the strings for the Lakers when Magic was there? We can't. 

From this year forward is how you evaluate Pelinka. Not when the front office had a living legend, face of the franchise-type guy making the headlines. 

1 minute ago, FinSting said:

But how will we ever know who was pulling the strings for the Lakers when Magic was there? We can't. 

From this year forward is how you evaluate Pelinka. Not when the front office had a living legend, face of the franchise-type guy making the headlines. 

Him not understanding the whole dates thing on this trade is a pretty good tell that he may be slightly incompetent. Plus him handing over future picks like candy. 

3 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Seriously? Yes we know, the whole issue was that Magic was never there to put in the work.

MAYBE you can split the blame on last summer Free Agents, but everything other than that, falls squarely ion RP's shoulders. The good (AD, Bullock) and the bad (basically everything else)

Edited by StLunatic88

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

The Deng Stetch was short sighted, and as an expiring this year could have likely been moved easier, and they would have the extra $5m needed for that final Max deal.

The Zubac trade was just indefensible, absolutely no reason to make that move. No matter what you think of Zubac's NBA future, he was an asset that they could have used.

And while I am in the camp that doesnt believe that Rob "just didnt know" about when to trade for AD (site the portion where the 3rd team traded for that pick) he still got severely out maneuvered there, even thought he was bringing in one of the best players in the NBA.

Thats on top of the AWFUL signings last summer, while letting Brook Lopez walk.

I mean, I'm not going to say they didn't have some bad moves, but I'm not going to try and discredit the good moves and only focus on the bad moves.  And can we please stop talking Ivica Zubac as a legitimate player?  He's a nice backup big, but nothing more.  he averaged less than 10 MPG in the playoffs for the Clippers.  Calling him an asset is generous at best.  And let's stop pretending like Brook Lopez was going to change the Lakers' fortune this past season.

As for the Deng move, I'd agree it was short-sighted but I also think it had more to do than cap ramifications.  Luol Deng was rather vocal about wanting to move on from the Lakers, and I think the Lakers did him a favor by stretching him.  Same reason why the Lakers rescinded their QO on Julius Randle even though they didn't stand to gain anything by doing that.  It was a good faith gesture by the FO.  Kinda the anti-Celtics sentiment.

The fact that amateur capologists could quickly point out the fact that Woj was wrong should tell you enough.  This had NOTHING to do with Pelinka not knowing how the timing would affect the Lakers ability to create max cap space for a FA.  This had everything to do with the conditions that David Griffin made.  He wanted a deal done PRIOR to the draft so that he was free to deal the 4th pick.  And what happened with that 4th pick?  It was dealt.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm not going to say they didn't have some bad moves, but I'm not going to try and discredit the good moves and only focus on the bad moves.  And can we please stop talking Ivica Zubac as a legitimate player?  He's a nice backup big, but nothing more.  he averaged less than 10 MPG in the playoffs for the Clippers.  Calling him an asset is generous at best.  And let's stop pretending like Brook Lopez was going to change the Lakers' fortune this past season.

As for the Deng move, I'd agree it was short-sighted but I also think it had more to do than cap ramifications.  Luol Deng was rather vocal about wanting to move on from the Lakers, and I think the Lakers did him a favor by stretching him.  Same reason why the Lakers rescinded their QO on Julius Randle even though they didn't stand to gain anything by doing that.  It was a good faith gesture by the FO.  Kinda the anti-Celtics sentiment.

The fact that amateur capologists could quickly point out the fact that Woj was wrong should tell you enough.  This had NOTHING to do with Pelinka not knowing how the timing would affect the Lakers ability to create max cap space for a FA.  This had everything to do with the conditions that David Griffin made.  He wanted a deal done PRIOR to the draft so that he was free to deal the 4th pick.  And what happened with that 4th pick?  It was dealt.

How was rescinding RandleS QO a good gesture? lol. They weren’t going to match any deal he signed anyways. 

Anti-Boston. Lol. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

How was rescinding RandleS QO a good gesture? lol. They weren’t going to match any deal he signed anyways. 

Anti-Boston. Lol. 

Because teams weren't going to tie up their cap space on a RFA.  RFA rarely move teams.  Making him an UFA meant his market would actually be there.