2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

I think I may have to give Pelinka (some) props by the end of the summer....I think the jokes and assumptions that they didn't have a good handle on the financial aspects of the trade are completely warranted based on the fact that the trade got essentially edited 2 weeks later. But they got it done and that's what matters. I don't think it's great management to essentially dump 3 players you can use for space but it is what it is. 

I obviously have my doubts on if they can smartly fill out a roster based on their previous moves, but if they get a 3rd star it will be a success for them. If they get Kawhi that would be an absurd team as long as they can have those dudes healthy in the playoffs. Obviously holding out hope that doesn't happen. If it's a second tier star I don't think it's a lock they can come out of the west. We'll see

I think it's just easy because it's what ESPN has been reporting.  But there was a level of trust between David Griffin and Rob Pelinka.  Neither one was going to nuke the deal, but neither team was going to go out of their way to change the structure of the deal for the other party.  The Lakers weren't taking back any salary not named Anthony Davis, and the Pelicans wanted the flexibility of being able to deal the #4 overall pick without any concerns that it might not actually be theirs.  Unlike Dell Demps, David Griffin actually negotiated in good faith.

As for the amended part of the trade, I would agree with your sentiment in about 95% of the scenarios.  But the cap space is exponentially more valuable to the Lakers than having some guys they'd ideally bury on the bench.  Best case scenario, Mo Wagner is probably your 2nd big off the bench.

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Why?

It depends on his value, but I don't think he'd bring back someone who would help any more than he does.

Precisely.  He doesn't make enough to justify dealing.  He's not really "tradeable" until he gets an extension.

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah they’ll win so who cares. Safe to say if Pelinka was the GM of like the Suns though, he’d be fired after year two. I feel like being the GM of the Lakers is cake lol. Sit there, get cap space, let guys come to you.

Weren't you the one who said earlier this offseason that the Lakers aren't this big FA destination?  Or that the Lakers really don't sign superstars?

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Leonard instead will be joining a team with arguably two of the top 5-6 players in the league. Similarly stacked team. 

It's different though.  Kevin Durant went to the NBA favorites, and made them the best team in the league by a healthy margin.  Kawhi Leonard is joining a Lakers team that didn't make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Weren't you the one who said earlier this offseason that the Lakers aren't this big FA destination?  Or that the Lakers really don't sign superstars?

They’ve signed 2 big FA’s in the last 25 years...

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Well, now you have clarification. For @showtime to say that the Lakers are the only team that matters in the West and that they're by far the best team in the conference is a joke. There's a high probability that Davis and/or LeBron will miss significant time next season and if one goes down they're going to be in big trouble. 

You're making the assumption that the Lakers whiff on Kyrie/Kawhi and put a bunch of veteran minimum players around them.  If they land one of those two, or put the right veterans around them (i.e. Patrick Beverley, Danny Green, Dewayne Dedmond, etc.) they'll be in good shape.  But the notion that the Lakers are doomed if Anthony Davis or LeBron James are injured for a substantial is valid for any team.  You take away Kevin Durant from the Warriors this past NBA Finals, and the Warriors looked a LOT more vulnerable.  You take away Steph Curry from a KD-less Warriors team, they're a lottery team.  You take James Harden away from the Rockets, they're garbage.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I find that hard to believe. Why doesn't he net much value in the NBA right now?

Because Mookie is still convinced that any young player who puts on a Lakers' uniform is garbage.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It's different though.  Kevin Durant went to the NBA favorites, and made them the best team in the league by a healthy margin.  Kawhi Leonard is joining a Lakers team that didn't make the playoffs.

LOL, right and that team that missed the playoffs added Anthony Davis. With Kawhi Leonard the Lakers will be HUGEEEEEE favorites and will win as long as they stay healthy. 

End of the day, no fake outrage is needed when these free agents can go where ever the hell they want. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He's a volume scorer that doesn't rebound, defend, or create for others. 

What do you think Lou Williams gets paid so damn well for?  We literally spent the beginning portion of the offseason talking how much Lonzo Ball's value was limited because he wasn't an effective scorer.  Yet, now we're talking about how Kyle Kuzma doesn't do any of the secondary skills well.  Where is the happy medium?

You're making the assumption that the Lakers whiff on Kyrie/Kawhi and put a bunch of veteran minimum players around them.  If they land one of those two, or put the right veterans around them (i.e. Patrick Beverley, Danny Green, Dewayne Dedmond, etc.) they'll be in good shape.  But the notion that the Lakers are doomed if Anthony Davis or LeBron James are injured for a substantial is valid for any team.  You take away Kevin Durant from the Warriors this past NBA Finals, and the Warriors looked a LOT more vulnerable.  You take away Steph Curry from a KD-less Warriors team, they're a lottery team.  You take James Harden away from the Rockets, they're garbage.

And Lakers fans are making the assumption that Kyrie or Kawhi will sign there when it's far from guaranteed and unlikely that they sign either guy. I only bring up that notion because the chance that AD/LeBron miss significant time next season is more likely than Curry or Harden getting hurt. LeBron will be 35 next season and has played 18 seasons worth of NBA basketball and AD has been injury prone throughout his entire career. 

What do you think Lou Williams gets paid so damn well for?  We literally spent the beginning portion of the offseason talking how much Lonzo Ball's value was limited because he wasn't an effective scorer.  Yet, now we're talking about how Kyle Kuzma doesn't do any of the secondary skills well.  Where is the happy medium?

Lou Williams is actually a good playmaker and he only makes $8M per year, wouldn't really say that's being "paid so damn well" for a guy that has been a 20/5 guy for the Clippers. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They’ve signed 2 big FA’s in the last 25 years...

How many times have they had cap space to sign a max FA contract?  Prior to this offseason, it's been four times.  They signed Shaquille O'Neal in 1996, there was the ill-fated MozDeng offseason, there was the year where they punted their cap space (2017 I believe), and last year when they signed LeBron.  Two out of four is pretty damn good.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LOL, right and that team that missed the playoffs added Anthony Davis. With Kawhi Leonard the Lakers will be HUGEEEEEE favorites and will win as long as they stay healthy. 

End of the day, no fake outrage is needed when these free agents can go where ever the hell they want. 

I'm not saying they aren't one of the favorites as is.  But comparing them to the Warriors team who went to the NBA Finals, and the Lakers didn't even make the playoffs.

How many times have they had cap space to sign a max FA contract?  Prior to this offseason, it's been four times.  They signed Shaquille O'Neal in 1996, there was the ill-fated MozDeng offseason, there was the year where they punted their cap space (2017 I believe), and last year when they signed LeBron.  Two out of four is pretty damn good.

Management should've done more to clear max cap space if it's such a big FA destination. 

Archived