2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

The moral of this story? Get your guys name on the dotted line ASAP. The NBA's turned in to the poaching league.

Wait, you mean to say Marcus Morris is selfish and outs himself in front of the team? Noooo waaayyyyy.

Guy sucks. Not surprised by this move from him at all.

It's Morris' right to take the Knicks deal.  There deal is better.  He committed to SA and a better deal came along.  What is he supposed to do, pass on something that benefits himself and his family?  Go Morris, go.

14 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's Morris' right to take the Knicks deal.  There deal is better.  He committed to SA and a better deal came along.  What is he supposed to do, pass on something that benefits himself and his family?  Go Morris, go.

No. Not my thinking.

As stated - teams better get their guys names on the dotted line as quickly as possible - because teams (and/or player agents) dont stop hunting around and/or aren't honoring deals. Apparently SA traded somebody in order to make cap room for Morris. Who that guy was and what value to the team I cant say other than they valued Morris higher. They wanted him more. Oh well. Now they'll have neither. Sign em up quick.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Who that guy was and what value to the team I cant say other than they valued Morris higher.

Bertans

I still think it's fine. Morris made 5 million the last 3 years, so he'll make that in this year alone. 

Bleacher Report:

The broader lesson here is a bit bleaker, drenched in existential angst: Sometimes, nothing you do actually matters. Nothing.

The Toronto Raptors did everything right—even winning a championshipand still lost Leonard.

The Golden State Warriors made three straight Finals with Durant, winning two titles...and lost him anyway.

The Boston Celtics surrounded Irving with veteran stars and bouncy young talent...and he coldly cut ties.

And the Oklahoma City Thunderwho were celebrating a new four-year contract with George last summer—just traded him at his request.

Those are four of the best organizations in the NBA, led by four of the league's best executives: Masai Ujiri in Toronto, Bob Myers in Oakland, Danny Ainge in Boston and Sam Presti in OKC. They all just lost their best players in the span of six days.

Welcome to the new NBA, where it isn't enough to be bold or smart. Where even championships and max contracts sometimes aren't enough to sate the modern player.

Leonard just became the first NBA superstar to leave his team immediately after winning a title. Durant departed just a year after being crowned Finals MVP. Jimmy Butler just left a contender in Philadelphia to join a non-contender in Miamiand for less money.

"I think at the end of the day, no matter what teams do, it doesn't matter," said a prominent player agent who doesn't represent any of the aforementioned players. "It just doesn't."­

In today's NBA, no single force binds a team and a player.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

What sort of situations is it still not permitted to use?

The announcer was explaining it rn on the Suns SL game and I think he said it can only be used on a stoppage of play call. So OoBs, a foul call, etc. 

Idk wasn't really paying attention.

I also think he said you only get one a game.

59 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's absolutely a better deal for Morris, however the manner in which he is conducting business only reinforces my belief that he is a selfish player offensively and defensively which is a reflection of him as a person as well. When I say Morris sucks, I mean as it relates to winning and putting the team before yourself.

29 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

It's absolutely a better deal for Morris, however the manner in which he is conducting business only reinforces my belief that he is a selfish player offensively and defensively which is a reflection of him as a person as well. When I say Morris sucks, I mean as it relates to winning and putting the team before yourself.

Yea, but these guys have families and people they take care of.  Most of these guys won't do anything after basketball and they'll retire in their 30's.  Just think about that.  People's 30's and 40's are when they're just starting out and fresh in their careers.  For these guys, it's all over with.  They need to make as much money as possible while they can.

Russell Westbrook's situation just showed why players should not be loyal.  Westbrook always bled orange and blue.  The core of the team that got to the Finals was gone.  Ibaka and Harden weren't there.  Russ stayed.  Durant left.  Russ stayed.  Team has been knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round year after year.  Russ stayed.  Never heard a peep about him ever wanting out.  Then all of a sudden the team he was so loyal to, was going to trade him just like that.  At the snap of a finger, he would have been gone.

For Morris, who gives a damn about winning.  Dude's legacy isn't going to be defined by winning or putting a team above himself.  He needs to get his money.  He 100% made the right decision.

23 minutes ago, showtime said:

For Morris, who gives a damn about winning.  Dude's legacy isn't going to be defined by winning or putting a team above himself.  He needs to get his money.  He 100% made the right decision.

"Who gives a damn?" Really? If I'm his teammate I give a damn. If I'm one of the coaches, I give a damn. If I'm a truly supportive family member I want him in the best situation to chase out his probable lifelong dream of being a champion and learning what it takes to be one off and on the court. If I am the Knicks fan or Spurs fan, I give a damn. If I am anybody associated with Marcus Morris I want him to win. Money is overrated as a provision for family to these NBA guys when they're all already financially secure, especially a tenured veteran player like Morris. It's all around a disappointment for me in any of the aforementioned scenarios.

Your argument is valid about loyalty which I completely empathize with. However, it doesn't replace honor which I put a higher value on than many I suppose.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

"Who gives a damn?" Really? If I'm his teammate I give a damn. If I'm one of the coaches, I give a damn. If I'm a truly supportive family member I want him in the best situation to chase out his probable lifelong dream of being a champion and learning what it takes to be one off and on the court. If I am the Knicks fan or Spurs fan, I give a damn. If I am anybody associated with Marcus Morris I want him to win. Money is overrated as a provision for family to these NBA guys when they're all already financially secure, especially a tenured veteran player like Morris. It's all around a disappointment for me in any of the aforementioned scenarios.

Your argument is valid about loyalty which I completely empathize with. However, it doesn't replace honor which I put a higher value on than many I suppose.

Yea, but it's easy for you to place a high value on honor.  You're not the one getting offered a $15 million contract for a season by the Knicks.

No disrespect intended btw.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I bet the NBPA would almost unanimously agree to go get your money, especially the middle class.

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

and yet, if someone was willing to give the Spurs a nice package for Morris in 6 months they would've sent him on his way without a second thought. Get your money. I'm glad players are getting more power, fans get mad when they go where they want to go but don't bat an eye lash when they get moved from their preferred destination to somewhere they don't want to be.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Wait, you mean to say Marcus Morris is selfish and outs himself in front of the team? Noooo waaayyyyy.

Guy sucks. Not surprised by this move from him at all.

why wouldn't he take the deal? good for him 

Archived