2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Yea, but it's easy for you to place a high value on honor.  You're not the one getting offered a $15 million contract for a season by the Knicks.

No disrespect intended btw.

No disrespect really felt. Just, it's easy to say what someone else would do. Easy for you to say I wouldn't have more honor. Easy for me to say somebody else should have more. Easy argument to make either way for anyone to say what else someone should do. I will say that $20 million over two years guaranteed is more than $15 million on one year. If we are talking about the beat deal for our future right now, then whats to say the Spurs deal is worse? He is guaranteed to make $5 million more. Plus we are talking about taxes in New York versus Texas. Huge difference since there isn't any income tax in good ol' Texas.

If it were me and the family with the career Marcus Morris has had thus far? The benefit to New York is it is still the northeast and relatively close to the cities where we have all lived together throughout my career. But your argument is about financial security, and so if it really was me, I like Texas/San Antonio/Austin much better than New York/Manhattan. I like the Texas people better, the food better, the land better, the freedom better, the taxes are better, just about everything environmentally with air pollution is better in Texas, and I like the opportunity with the Spurs/Popovich much better.

But of course I am not in the position Marcus Morris is in currently. And I am also not a selfish player who quits randomly on defense and shoots the ball every time it is in my hands. Marcus Morris is all of those things and be is also a loser in the NBA.

@MookieMonstah @seminoles1 @Troy Brown

It is good for Morris this year I suppose. But there is more security in a two year deal. Plus, as I stated in my last post, there is an big income tax in New York that doesn't exist in Texas. Morris is betting on himself for a year to stay healthy and come away with another contract. I don't think it's a great trade off but if that's what Morris expects to give him the best position going forward rather than with the Spurs then best of luck.

I have no problem with the argument of greater balance of power. But I don't necessarily care all that much that a millionaire NBA player is getting a couple million more dollars in a single season nor do I see that as a huge win.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

@MookieMonstah @seminoles1 @Troy Brown

It is good for Morris this year I suppose. But there is more security in a two year deal. Plus, as I stated in my last post, there is an big income tax in New York that doesn't exist in Texas. Morris is betting on himself for a year to stay healthy and come away with another contract. I don't think it's a great trade off but if that's what Morris expects to give him the best position going forward rather than with the Spurs then best of luck.

I have no problem with the argument of greater balance of power. But I don't necessarily care all that much that a millionaire NBA player is getting a couple million more dollars in a single season nor do I see that as a huge win.

If he makes 15M this year and 12-15M next year it could be an extra 5-10M in his pocket. Thats why you take the bigger 1 year deal, he'll also be able to just ball out in New York. Pop wouldn't deal with him going rogue.

Just now, Troy Brown said:

He's more likely to increase his stock playing in NY where he'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd option on most nights 

Exactly, and hes Mook so he's going to be the 1st option whenever hes in the game. Dude could put up legit numbers in NY and get a hefty pay day next off-season.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

If he makes 15M this year and 12-15M next year it could be an extra 5-10M in his pocket. Thats why you take the bigger 1 year deal, he'll also be able to just ball out in New York. Pop wouldn't deal with him going rogue.

Yeah well he will have to stay healthy which is something you can only hope for. At least with the Spurs it is all guaranteed for longer. I get why Morris sees value in trading off the 20/2 for 15/1, but at this stage in his career he has to remain available or else he won't necessarily get a contract that is worth it.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Yeah well he will have to stay healthy which is something you can only hope for. At least with the Spurs it is all guaranteed for longer. I get why Morris sees value in trading off the 20/2 for 15/1, but at this stage in his career he has to remain available or else he won't necessarily get a contract that is worth it.

Even if he got hurt, barring it be something serious like an achilles, I don't see anyway he makes less than 5M the following year so he comes out even regardless of what happens really.

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Even if he got hurt, barring it be something serious like an achilles, I don't see anyway he makes less than 5M the following year so he comes out even regardless of what happens really.

Hypothetically even but you're not factoring in state income tax for multimillionaires.

One view is that Morris doesn't have to change anything about his game to fit on the Knicks and so he will naturally have more of a role.

My view is that Spurs will make Morris a better player over the course of two seasons and in the NBA with analytics and everything used to determine what makes a winner, that experience after just one extra year is going to entice GM's to make stronger, probably multiyear offers.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

My view is that Spurs will make Morris a better player over the course of two seasons and in the NBA with analytics and everything used to determine what makes a winner, that experience after just one extra year is going to entice GM's to make stronger, probably multiyear offers.

Take Danny Green for example.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Danny Green been the same dude for 6 years now. He got paid because he was a perfect fit with Lebron and AD.

He got paid foremost because he is a winner at his position. Green learned winning tendencies from his time with the Spurs and it translated into an expended market for his services as soon as be became a free agent. If Morris develops any tendencies in his game to win then he could be a commodity/asset like Green as well.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

He got paid foremost because he is a winner at his position. Green learned winning tendencies from his time with the Spurs and it translated into an expended market for his services as soon as be became a free agent. If Morris develops any tendencies in his game to win then he could be a commodity/asset like Green as well.

He got paid because he’s a perfect fit with Lebron and AD. Morris will make more money doing this, it’s a smart move by him.

Archived