2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Oh wait. I know why he has a hate boner for Simmons. It's because Simmons stole Mitchell's ROY. 

I don’t hate Simmons. I just think he is what he is, a glorified role player with elite physical attributes. A guy that will never be a truly elite player despite having elite physical talent like Andrew Wiggins. He’s soft. 

7 hours ago, Utley said:

You made no effort to empathize with Marcus Morris or his family. You simply stated how you would feel in those situations. That’s not empathy.

You must have missed this:

20 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

No disrespect really felt. Just, it's easy to say what someone else would do. Easy for you to say I wouldn't have more honor. Easy for me to say somebody else should have more. Easy argument to make either way for anyone to say what else someone should do. I will say that $20 million over two years guaranteed is more than $15 million on one year. If we are talking about the beat deal for our future right now, then whats to say the Spurs deal is worse? He is guaranteed to make $5 million more. Plus we are talking about taxes in New York versus Texas. Huge difference since there isn't any income tax in good ol' Texas.

If it were me and the family with the career Marcus Morris has had thus far? The benefit to New York is it is still the northeast and relatively close to the cities where we have all lived together throughout my career. But your argument is about financial security, and so if it really was me, I like Texas/San Antonio/Austin much better than New York/Manhattan. I like the Texas people better, the food better, the land better, the freedom better, the taxes are better, just about everything environmentally with air pollution is better in Texas, and I like the opportunity with the Spurs/Popovich much better.

But of course I am not in the position Marcus Morris is in currently. And I am also not a selfish player who quits randomly on defense and shoots the ball every time it is in my hands. Marcus Morris is all of those things and be is also a loser in the NBA.

So I went onto analyze in the posts below why I thought it would make more sense financially for Morris and his family, (or myself if I am putting myself in his position right now).

19 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Hypothetically even but you're not factoring in state income tax for multimillionaires.

One view is that Morris doesn't have to change anything about his game to fit on the Knicks and so he will naturally have more of a role.

My view is that Spurs will make Morris a better player over the course of two seasons and in the NBA with analytics and everything used to determine what makes a winner, that experience after just one extra year is going to entice GM's to make stronger, probably multiyear offers.

Yeah well he will have to stay healthy which is something you can only hope for. At least with the Spurs it is all guaranteed for longer. I get why Morris sees value in trading off the 20/2 for 15/1, but at this stage in his career he has to remain available or else he won't necessarily get a contract that is worth it.

@MookieMonstah @seminoles1 @Troy Brown

It is good for Morris this year I suppose. But there is more security in a two year deal. Plus, as I stated in my last post, there is an big income tax in New York that doesn't exist in Texas. Morris is betting on himself for a year to stay healthy and come away with another contract. I don't think it's a great trade off but if that's what Morris expects to give him the best position going forward rather than with the Spurs then best of luck.

I have no problem with the argument of greater balance of power. But I don't necessarily care all that much that a millionaire NBA player is getting a couple million more dollars in a single season nor do I see that as a huge win.

As well as the posts you responded to halfway into this.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Marcus Morris, Ben Simmons, and Donavan Mitchell debates. God FF is boring during the summer time.

Ben Simmons is overrated. Simmons doesn't shoot and is an average offensive player.

Marcus Morris is a selfish player on the court and it is fair game off the court for him to back out of the Spurs deal, (regardless of whether or not it's really in his best interest).

Donovan Mitchell is a great young player who is not yet a superstar.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

don't agree with either but we both apparently agree Ben Simmons is maybe slightly above average as an NBA player.

From a physical profile standpoint, Simmons is pretty close to LeBron in terms of his size/athleticism/coordination. He's like Lonzo in the sense that he's useless shooting/scoring the ball and his only real value is his ability to distribute the ball. But I agree, despite his physical talent he's only a slightly above average NBA player. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

From a physical profile standpoint, Simmons is pretty close to LeBron in terms of his size/athleticism/coordination. He's like Lonzo in the sense that he's useless shooting/scoring the ball and his only real value is his ability to distribute the ball. But I agree, despite his physical talent he's only a slightly above average NBA player. 

Okay I guess I was wrong and I agree with you. Although I meant LeBron James looks better physically and I think Lonzo is a better player/will be a better player in 2019.

18 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Simmons is underrated. Criticism about his shooting is fair but people swing it too far as usual. He’s a top 20ish player and still improving. 

Maybe. I think it’s far harder to build a contender around Ben Simmons than any other top 20 player though.

18 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Simmons is underrated. Criticism about his shooting is fair but people swing it too far as usual. He’s a top 20ish player and still improving. 

Yeah, still a damn good player even without a jump shot. Unfortunately for him, playoffs are when you need some kind of outside game so he gets exposed some. But we even saw Giannis show some major struggles against the Raptors in closing moments. 

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Maybe. I think it’s far harder to build a contender around Ben Simmons than any other top 20 player though.

I think how well he plays w/ Embiid considering they are realistically pretty poor fits together is impressive. I'd love to see him actually built around. But yeah he's an extremely unique player. 

@J-ALL-DAY yeah i have no idea what Simmons ceiling is. but people don't know how to evaluate elite playmaking/defensive ability. his scoring is even efficient. it's just the jump shot that is obviously an issue and why people have no idea how to rate him. it's like the dudes that think Draymond would suck if he was anywhere besides GS. 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think how well he plays w/ Embiid considering they are realistically pretty poor fits together is impressive. I'd love to see him actually built around. But yeah he's an extremely unique player. 

@J-ALL-DAY yeah i have no idea what Simmons ceiling is. but people don't know how to evaluate elite playmaking/defensive ability. his scoring is even efficient. it's just the jump shot that is obviously an issue and why people have no idea how to rate him. it's like the dudes that think Draymond would suck if he was anywhere besides GS. 

It’s just way harder for him to score come playoff time, especially when teams focus on shutting him down. Whatever coach along the way told him to shoot lefty because it’s harder to defend severely effected his career in a negative way tbh.

28 minutes ago, champ11 said:

9 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Underrated yes. Top 20, as of this moment, not at all.

He's a top... 40ish player right now, with a ceiling of a top 5 player. My guess is he ends up being a top 20 player in a couple seasons.

Archived