2020 Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

Top 15 Candidates likely to receive interview requests:
1. Lincoln Riley, HC Oklahoma
2. Mike McCarthy, former HC Packers (hired by DAL)
3. Urban Meyer, former HC Ohio State
4. Ron Rivera, former HC Panthers (hired by WAS)
5. Dan Mullen, HC Florida Gators
6. Kevin Stefanski, OC Vikings (hired by CLE)
7. Josh McDaniels, OC Patriots
8. David Shaw, HC Stanford
9. Matt Rhule, HC Baylor (hired by CAR)
10. Greg Roman, Ravens OC 
11. Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
12. Marvin Lewis, former HC Bengals
13. Brian Daboll, Bills OC
14. Nick Sirianni, Colts OC
15. Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC
Edited by tannenballs

I have separate list for OCs and DCs, east list is in order from best candidate to worst. 

OC from New Orleans Saints, Pete Caramichael Jr

Is a joke with all of these OCs getting hired, he still hasn't found a job after being 10 YEARS OF OC FOR THE SAINTS. Now I know he doesn't call plays for the Saints but that doesn't matter. Look at Dougie P and Matt Nagy, neither called plays when with Reid on the Chiefs and both of done fantastic in their respective jobs. I respect Payton just as much as Reid and Caramichael has gotten high praise from players he's coached and he helps with offensive gameplan. Can a team give this man a chance please.

OC from Cleveland Browns, Todd Monken

I was surprised he didn't get job after he produced the Buccaneers to have top passing offsense in the NFL. I guess teams were scared off due to lack of rushing success. Either way I expect him to get job right after this season as his passing offensive schemes are great. Working with Kitchens to learn better run game schemes will only do wonders for Monken to make him more well rounded and be ready to take HC job.

OC from Kansas City Chiefs, Eric Bienemeny 

Andy Reid coaching tree alone should make him a great candidate. He specializes in run game schemes and you saw Chiefs hardly miss Hunt when he got suspended. Extra year under Reid as OC will do great things for Bienemeny and expect him to be hired soon.

Now lets get to the defensive side of the ball

DC from Dallas Cowboys, Kris Richard

Cowboys defense have talent but Richard got those boys to play together and made them top 5 defense in the league. He comes from Pete Carroll coaching tree which has shaky results but Cowboys players love Richard and that's important for being HC

DC from Indianapolis Colts Matt Eberflus

The drastic change from Colts defense was amazing, I think this guy can be a special defensive coach and if Colts defense continues to improve, he's def going to be hot candidate for next year coaching openings. 

If I'm looking for OC, hiring Caramichael Jr. If I'm looking for a DC, Eberflus. Those are the top 2 coaching candidates in the NFL

• Like 2

I think that Lincoln Riley out of Oklahoma will be the name to watch - developed two #1 picks at QB in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, and if he can get Jalen Hurts to play himself into the mid to late first round, he'll solidify himself as a QB whisperer. 

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think that Lincoln Riley out of Oklahoma will be the name to watch - developed two #1 picks at QB in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, and if he can get Jalen Hurts to play himself into the mid to late first round, he'll solidify himself as a QB whisperer. 

Do you think he will ever leave?

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If the price is right, yeah.

He probably wants to make legacy at Oklahoma, similar to Dabo and Saban. See him staying there for next 5-10 years and level when perfect opportunity arrives. I think he would of joined the Browns if he already had that legacy built up as that's the type of situation he wants. Team on the rise with potential franchise QB and good front office.

• Like 1

This is the list of guys that caught my eye. The problem is a lot of these Coordinators will probably be closer to 2021+ than 2020:

Lincoln Riley
Dabo Swinney
Ryan Day
Dan Mullen 

Matt Campbell 

Matt Rhule 

Coordinators in alpha order

Eric Bieniemy KC OC
Matt Eberflus Colts DC
Mark Helfrich CHI OC
Joe Judge NE ST

Gary Kubiak AHC MIN
Kellen Moore DAL OC
Kris Richard DAL DB/PGQ 
Kevin O'Connell WAS OC
Chad O'Shea MIA OC
Rich Scangarello DEN OC
Nick Sirianni IND OC
Kevin Stefanski MIN OC 

Shane Waldron LAR QB/PGC

Edited by tannenballs

The problem too is, not many of these guys call plays. I understand Peterson and Nagy only had a few games and Reich only had 2 years, but at least they had something. Just seems like unless you can land a college coach (highly unlikely) then you are picking from a very unproven group in 2020.

Also sorry for the weird spacing, I copied and pasted the list. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, tannenballs said:

Do you think he will ever leave?

On 5/14/2019 at 10:39 PM, ET80 said:

If the price is right, yeah.

Any NFL coaching gig is superior to even the best coaching gig.  Most coaches aspire to be NFL coaches, so I'd say he would leap at the chance.

• Like 1