2020 Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

On 5/24/2019 at 4:01 PM, Daniel said:

Saban and Harbaugh failed in the NFL.  They didn't take better jobs in college, they bolted when things fell apart in the NFL.  And I'm confused on how Fisher hurts my case at all.

Dabo may not leave Clemson right now, but I've also not heard of anyone trying to hire him, and he's got an insane amount of job stability right now.  That doesn't mean the NFL job isn't better, it's just their personal preference.  Cutcliffe has turned down better jobs to stay at Duke because it's a worse job that he can keep.  Some people will always prefer the lower end job if it comes with lower expectations.

Saban didn’t fail in the nfl. He took a disaster of a dolphins team and almost made the playoffs. His second year got messed up because they trade for Culpepper instead of signing brees. 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, Daniel said:

Saban and Harbaugh failed in the NFL.  They didn't take better jobs in college, they bolted when things fell apart in the NFL.  And I'm confused on how Fisher hurts my case at all.

Dabo may not leave Clemson right now, but I've also not heard of anyone trying to hire him, and he's got an insane amount of job stability right now.  That doesn't mean the NFL job isn't better, it's just their personal preference.  Cutcliffe has turned down better jobs to stay at Duke because it's a worse job that he can keep.  Some people will always prefer the lower end job if it comes with lower expectations.

Jim Harbaugh didn't fail he won 44 games lost 19 had a winning percentage of 690 went to a Superbowl and never had a losing season.

College Coaches:

1. Nick Saban, Alabama

2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson

3. Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma

4. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

5. Chris Petersen, Washington 

6. Ryan Day, Ohio State

7. Matt Campbell, Iowa State

NFL Assistants:

1. Kevin O'Connell, WAS OC

2. Josh McDaniels, NE OC

3. Todd Monken, CLE OC

4. Matt Eberflus, IND DC

5. Kellen Moore, DAL OC

6. Rich Scangarello, DEN OC

7. Kevin Stefanski, MIN OC

8. Eric Bieniemy, KC OC

9. Joe Judge, NE ST/WR

10. Shane Waldron, LAR OC

11. Greg Roman, BAL OC

12. Kris Richard, DAL DC

13. Dave Toub, KC ST

Edited by tannenballs

4 hours ago, tannenballs said:

College Coaches:

1. Nick Saban, Alabama

2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson

3. Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma

4. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

5. Chris Petersen, Washington 

6. Ryan Day, Ohio State

7. Matt Campbell, Iowa State

NFL Assistants:

1. Kevin O'Connell, WAS OC

2. Josh McDaniels, NE OC

3. Todd Monken, CLE OC

4. Matt Eberflus, IND DC

5. Kellen Moore, DAL OC

6. Rich Scangarello, DEN OC

7. Kevin Stefanski, MIN OC

8. Eric Bieniemy, KC OC

9. Joe Judge, NE ST/WR

10. Shane Waldron, LAR OC

11. Greg Roman, BAL OC

12. Kris Richard, DAL DC

13. Dave Toub, KC ST

What has Kevin oconell done

On 5/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, Daniel said:

Jeff Fisher pretty much laughed USC (his alma mater) out of the room when they tried to poach him from the Tennessee Titans, who he was almost fired from the same year.  Not too many more prestigious coaching jobs in college, and not many less prestigious NFL ones.

I think it is entirely, categorically true.

You're just wrong.

There have been a A LOT of college coaches who have opted to stay in college despite lucrative NFL offers.  College is a different dynamic and alot different than coaching in the NFL.   Yes, alot aspire to become NFL coaches, but many love the college atmosphere and less grating schedule relative to being an NFL coach.

20 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You're just wrong.

There have been a A LOT of college coaches who have opted to stay in college despite lucrative NFL offers.  College is a different dynamic and alot different than coaching in the NFL.   Yes, alot aspire to become NFL coaches, but many love the college atmosphere and less grating schedule relative to being an NFL coach.

Yeah Nick Saban is great when he gets to just go sign the best players in the country every year.  It's a whole different ball game when you have to draft players and sign FAs.  If we are staying within the rules, Alabama can offer the same thing that every other school in the country can, with one caveat, and that's 8 NCs.

However it still blows my mind that Hawaii doesn't dominate every collegiate sport.  Best HFA in the country, best recruiting environment in the country.  If nothing else this should prove to us all that nobody is playing by the rules.  I'd love to see what they could be if they could get an A1 coach who could recruit.

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah Nick Saban is great when he gets to just go sign the best players in the country every year.  It's a whole different ball game when you have to draft players and sign FAs.  If we are staying within the rules, Alabama can offer the same thing that every other school in the country can, with one caveat, and that's 8 NCs.

However it still blows my mind that Hawaii doesn't dominate every collegiate sport.  Best HFA in the country, best recruiting environment in the country.  If nothing else this should prove to us all that nobody is playing by the rules.  I'd love to see what they could be if they could get an A1 coach who could recruit.

On the flipside, it would be rough to be on road games for Hawaii players.  It's about a 5 hour flight from Oahu to LAX, so it's a long trip wherever they go, too.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

On the flipside, it would be rough to be on road games for Hawaii players.  It's about a 5 hour flight from Oahu to LAX, so it's a long trip wherever they go, too.

Just stay on the continent for road trips. Buy your way into the Pac-10.  

Here's my recruiting pitch:  you get to live in Hawaii...for free.  Hell wait for BB to retire from the Pats then go back the brinks truck up to his door.  You could create a dynasty that lasts for decades.  All it takes is one NC and then every coach in the country wants that job.  June Jones wasnt BB.  

47 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Just stay on the continent for road trips. Buy your way into the Pac-10.  

Here's my recruiting pitch:  you get to live in Hawaii...for free.  Hell wait for BB to retire from the Pats then go back the brinks truck up to his door.  You could create a dynasty that lasts for decades.  All it takes is one NC and then every coach in the country wants that job.  June Jones wasnt BB.  

Location is not as important to everyone as you make it seem. Even when location is important to a recruit, it’s often more accurate to say proximity to home is important (i.e. not Hawaii), rather than being at a resort destination.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Or Kellen Moore

Or Rich Scangarello

Or Kevin Stefanski

Or Greg Roman

More of watch list types at this point. But people have raved about O'Connell. He's part of the QB Collective group with Shanny McVay and LaFleur. Was drafted at QB in the 3rd round by Patriots. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, Trentwannabe said:

If the Bills offense finish in the 20-15 range I could Daboll getting some interviews. 

He comes from the Belichick/Saban tree and has the opportunity to show he can develop a QB.

Who has Daboll ever developed?

EDIT: nvm, misread. A lot will depend on how Allen turns out for him, but you're right about the rest. I remember Jets fans not liking him lol

Edited by jetjuice

• 5 months later...