Reshad Jones Contract

Money

I saw this one the other day as I was looking for trade candidates. My general blueprint is to find someone who is no longer loved. You draft someone. You sign someone. When I looked at the Miami Dolphins depth chart, I see Reshad Jones has fallen out of favor. Look at contract. Age. It paints a picture. They're moving on.  Now he doesn't show up to OTAs. Play ball!

What you need to do is to smooooth out the contract if you will. Take a fine jam. Spread it on thin to limit exposure. This is going to require an entire reworking of the deal, and he's going to have to agree. In lehman's terms, I'm skimming some off the top, but I'll give you a shot to earn it back. I'll hit you with heavy guarantees early, but it's not going to be a crazy amount in the form of a signing bonus. Because that's risk to me.

This is an Earl Thomas. Baltimore Ravens. Two years and grenade. In all likelihood. That's going to be a dead money charge. Or simplified to this guy is still getting paid and he doesn't work here. Not that he gets that money. He already got it. But for tabulation and recordkeeping.

The safety position is talk about really thin. We need to talk Tampa 2 and the new defense being installed. Eric Rowe fits that mold as I'm calling him a third DB. Not a nickel or slot. That's Hilton. Sean Davis fits that mold as a tall strong press style jam CB w/ above avg tackling abilities. Justin Layne. Until that time....

Reshad Jones

5 years, $45m ($34m guaranteed) with potential earnings of up to $52.5m

The corresponding move is the trading of Joe Haden. Because he won't be re-signed. Nor should he be. 

Joe Haden and PIT 2021 6th rd pick to Jets for Darron Lee and NYJ 2021 4th

- Wrinkle. Picks conditional to player re-signing with their team. 

Darron Lee is a good sub package LB. And worthy of  a shot. He can help in sub and special teams. He has athletic tools and is a good blitzing and zone LB. He might be able to cover tight end. This would be a nice wrinkle. The addition of depth in the secondary allows the linebackers to get stronger as well. You could opt to play the comp pick game with Haden and have him play the season but cap space was needed. And Haden starts the domino effect of cleaning up the secondary and ending up with Patrick Peterson and Reshad Jones w/ the young ballers. 

This one is very cheap. 

Artie Burns and PIT 2020 4th for Reshad Jones and Eric Rowe

First of all I disagree completely about whether or not Joe Haden should be resigned. Not only do I think he should get an extension I believe he will. Having said that I would love to have Rashad Jones but not on that contract. I'm certainly not giving up Joe Haden to get Reshad Jones.

I don't know where these trade ideas that you have been coming up with are coming from but they're terrible ideas. We are not trading Steven Nelson in the first round pick for Patrick Peterson first of all I don't really think that he's actually worth that much second of all it is a stupid decision.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, wwhickok said:

First of all I disagree completely about whether or not Joe Haden should be resigned. Not only do I think he should get an extension I believe he will. Having said that I would love to have Rashad Jones but not on that contract. I'm certainly not giving up Joe Haden to get Reshad Jones.

I don't know where these trade ideas that you have been coming up with are coming from but they're terrible ideas. We are not trading Steven Nelson in the first round pick for Patrick Peterson first of all I don't really think that he's actually worth that much second of all it is a stupid decision.

Haden is talking minimum $12m to sit down with him and his friends.

He's probably talking 4 years, $60m if someone is desperate enough

It's almost like a Pirates situation trying to sign a free agent pitcher who hasn't had his arm reattached at some point in his career. No. He's going to New York. As will Joe Haden. 

I still like Kelvin Beachum but now I prefer the pick but then I dunno if they're dealing bc they just dealt the one pick they were dealing. 

Phew. Imagine doing that 32 times a day. All day long. 

And the contract is meant to be a grenade. I'm willing to have a great player for a few years at the end of his prime. 

His first two years is $30m guaranteed. After that, I'm okay with cutting him but then it gets down to maximizing every last drop he has left in the tank. @wwhickok

13 hours ago, Money said:

Haden is talking minimum $12m to sit down with him and his friends.

He's probably talking 4 years, $60m if someone is desperate enough

It's almost like a Pirates situation trying to sign a free agent pitcher who hasn't had his arm reattached at some point in his career. No. He's going to New York. As will Joe Haden. 

I still like Kelvin Beachum but now I prefer the pick but then I dunno if they're dealing bc they just dealt the one pick they were dealing. 

Phew. Imagine doing that 32 times a day. All day long. 

You're right. You are right about the fact that Joe Haden will probably get somewhere around 12 million dollars a year and I am perfectly fine with it. Joe Haden has said he loves playing for Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh has said that they want to keep Joe Haden around. That is the most important part of a contract negotiation is both parties actually want him to be there in the first place. Joe Haden I think he's a top 10 corner arguably I wouldn't Place him in the top five necessarily but he is really good for us. I don't believe for a second that he's going to leave town but he might and if he does that's fine but if you really think that we are not going to offer him a contract extension I think you're out of your mind.