Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

What names were mentioned? 

From Chad Forbes Twitter:

“Spoke to rival GM today on #Jets. Said a lot of players are available via trade...

QB Davis Webb

OT Brandon Shell

DT Nathan Shepherd / Fatukusi

LB Jordan Jenkins

‘They won’t give away Marcus Maye and we’re mixed on if he’s a good player... but he could be had for a 3rd.’”

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Based on everything I’ve read, I’d be pretty shocked if Harrison starts at center for us. My gut say Gase pawns another player or two off for late round picks and then trades a pick for a vet center (if he can find one). 

Would be real nice if we could go into a draft with all of our picks just once. Hopefully it’s for an extra we we acquired like you said. 

After a few days to digest and read some articles about the dynamics of the situation, I have come to a few conclusions.

1. Macc seemed to fail at fostering communication and partnership with the HC and coaching staff.  This is a huge negative.  Seemed to not only be with Gase but Bowles as well.  Sounds like Macc never got out of the scouting mindset where you block out other voices to ensure you make an objective opinion on a player.  A GM needs to understand and seek input from the HC to get players that will fit their system - particularly with mid to late round picks.  Seems to point to a reason why, as many have said, we did not have many hits in those rounds.  Funny we went from a guy in Mike T who gave too much input to the HC in the draft (IMO) to one who did not at all if you believe some of the reports.

2. Anyway you slice it - Gase seized control.  This could be a sign of a backstabber who most likely exasperated the situation to a level that was too obvious to ignore and is  a my way or highway type of guy.  Now don't get me wrong there are other guys like that who have been very successful.  CJ has made his choice and now this will either be a great move or a really bad one.  I don't see it anywhere but those too extremes given Gase's personality.  Either his way will work or it will alienate others and implode.  I really hope it is the former.

3. Bowles, while not a great HC, was a good guy.  If all the reports of no communication, partnership and lack of any type of relationship is true between TB and MM  - wow TB sucked it up and was a good solider as I don't recall any rumors of such a disconnect. 

4. If all these reports are true  - Macc should have been fired with Bowles.  Which brings me to ....

5. CJ is a bad leader or is telling the truth on his decision making process.  Look I get the argument of keeping a scouting team in tack to a degree but any guy who came in will bring in other guys who do this for a living and have been scouting anyway.  I also think that with us not having many picks and 100 million in cap space if we brought in a good guy in Jan it would have been fine.  So just maybe and it is a BIG maybe CJ was telling the truth on making this decision in the past couple of months.  If so, it certainly adds to Gase having his finger prints all over this. 

In any event, the organization needs to a take a deep breadth.  Get a guy in as quickly as possible and steady the course. 

20 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Jets desperately need and adult in the room that knows what they are doing. Not a single person at 1 Jets Drive qualifies. I hope this is all speculation but if we are trading starters for 6th rounders, this will be a disaster. I still think its all media BS, but until we get a competent GM, having Gase in control is a suicide mission.

Thank you! Getting a GM that can scout + say "No" to Gase when needed. 

I really felt good about the Gase hire because of how much he loves football and his potential to develop Darnold, it’s very hard to keep feeling like that after this guy seems so quick to want to blow up this roster. Please just hire a GM and gave him control before this gets even worse.

27 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I really felt good about the Gase hire because of how much he loves football and his potential to develop Darnold, it’s very hard to keep feeling like that after this guy seems so quick to want to blow up this roster. Please just hire a GM and gave him control before this gets even worse.

So you believe the reports? 

Also blowing up a 4-12 roster isn’t exactly bad if that’s the case. 

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So you believe the reports? 

Also blowing up a 4-12 roster isn’t exactly bad if that’s the case. 

It’s hard to know what’s real and what’s fake right now. The fact that his first day as GM he literally felt it was a paramount concern to move Lee for basically nothing is concerning. I never liked lee, but for a late 6th round pick, you might as well wait until a team is desperate or find a spot for him and hope to up his value. I just don’t like the impulsive moves and the reports about his opinions on the contracts that were just signed. Be a professional and keep that %#%! to yourself. I’m glad he spoke to Leveon Bell, but I won’t feel comfortable until someone is hired as GM. 

Also it terms of roster, the time to blow it up for 2019 has come and gone. You don’t go out and spend an obscene amount of money and then decide to trade away starters. Try and win with this group and if you don’t, blow it up next offseason and try to infuse more youth. Not in May after spending the most money in the NFL and when the draft is over. I do think the media has painted a much different picture and that firing Mac was absolutely a good move, but I fear giving Gase any control right now is playing with fire. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

It’s hard to know what’s real and what’s fake right now. The fact that his first day as GM he literally felt it was a paramount concern to move Lee for basically nothing is concerning. I never liked lee, but for a late 6th round pick, you might as well wait until a team is desperate or find a spot for him and hope to up his value. I just don’t like the impulsive moves and the reports about his opinions on the contracts that were just signed. Be a professional and keep that %#%! to yourself. I’m glad he spoke to Leveon Bell, but I won’t feel comfortable until someone is hired as GM. 

Also it terms of roster, the time to blow it up for 2019 has come and gone. You don’t go out and spend an obscene amount of money and then decide to trade away starters. Try and win with this group and if you don’t, blow it up next offseason and try to infuse more youth. Not in May after spending the most money in the NFL and when the draft is over. I do think the media has painted a much different picture and that firing Mac was absolutely a good move, but I fear giving Gase any control right now is playing with fire. Time will tell. 

I don’t think he’ll blow up the roster but it does need to begin being built to fit what he wants to do. Macc held him out of the draft process so this team isn’t exactly ideal for him. 

As for the Lee trade, word is we were holding out for a 5th, Macc wouldn’t pull the trigger. Gase did what he felt was best. Lee would have walked anyway after the season was over. 

I dont think Gase will make any more moves until we hire our full time GM. 

We really need to get a competent GM in place soon because I have 0 faith in Gase to run this ship.

I've accepted the poor timing of the firing because Mac should have been gone with Bowles but if we start retooling with moving guys like Leo and moving on from Mosley/Bell because the HC doesn't want them we are just taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

We should have just moved on and let the HC and GM work together so we didn't land in the position but it's yet again another incompetent move by our franchise. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

With all the Leo rumors floating around, if we were to trade him, trading him to the packers for Corey Linsley would make a lot of sense for both teams. 

Oh God not again. Why would you trade a guy who is 24 years old and getting better. He was tripled teamed last year a lot. Gase even said he would make sure Williams would not get in and made it a point when he went against us. When you have Leo and Q both pushing that pocket you guys are going to be shocked at what these 2 guys can do. You don't trade Leo for an OL guy. Most OL guys develop together. I have seen it too many times a good OL person moves to another team and is pretty bad. Just look at Logan Mankins and others. 

19 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Oh God not again. Why would you trade a guy who is 24 years old and getting better. He was tripled teamed last year a lot. Gase even said he would make sure Williams would not get in and made it a point when he went against us. When you have Leo and Q both pushing that pocket you guys are going to be shocked at what these 2 guys can do. You don't trade Leo for an OL guy. Most OL guys develop together. I have seen it too many times a good OL person moves to another team and is pretty bad. Just look at Logan Mankins and others. 

I’m not saying I would trade him. Rumors are that if Gase is here, Leo won’t be here long-term. If they’re going to trade him, trading him for a near-elite center wouldn’t be a bad move. Also, Mankins was a pro bowler in Tampa Bay. 

Edited by barnaby8787

... I'm of the opinion we keep Leo ... its quite frankly dumb we don't pay our first round picks and retain them even when they're good ... Leo is not an elite top 2-3 DE but he's definitely far above average ... 

Tom Brady is far more effected by pressure up the middle than he is by pressure off the edge ... keeping him and Quinen for this season just makes sense ... even more so going forward ... not like were trading him for clowney or something either ... 

Are there any rumors about trading Leonard Williams?  For real?   Jets have no intention to move him for anything.  End of story.

As for other players whose contract may expire after this season, I have no problem to move them but Jets need to make logical moves without automatically making 2019 a lost season.  

Regarding Center, I could not find any solid veteran Center that may become a June 1 casualty.  Darn it.    Sam Jones of Broncos and WIll Clapp of Saints may ask too much return if traded.  Nick Easton, Brett Jones, Cameron Tom or a several unheard centers could be a better than nothing target for Gase.

Really, Adam Gase has literally nothing to do to improve the team at last minute.  Let's stick with current roster plus picking up a several helps.