Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Better late than never. This dysfunction will blow over in a week and no one will talking about it anymore.

Unfortunately this fits the narrative that has been circulating for 30 years at least.  The NY Jets are second class organization.  Lack leadership and direction.  Have a clueless owner / ownership. 

Listen don't have an issue with firing Macc or anyone for that matter.  It is the timing of it - should have just done it in Jan.  I am interested in knowing the truth though.  On the surface sure looks like Gase started and won a power struggle.  He had that rep coming in from Miami and this, to me, is just too much to be a coincidence.  There are reports of Macc / Hemindinger rift or something .. really like to know that.  

Anyway, hope CJ made the right call.  Hope we bring in someone and have some much needed stability. 

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I’d rather be “dysfunctional” than keep a bad GM around because of perception

But that dysfunctional and perception of being a bad organization is the reason we need to overpay for FAs.  The reason in the past HCs or FO folks decline to interview or don't want the job. 

Gase  better work out.  The GM/Scouting better work out.  Or this mess will haunt us.  So I'll be rooting hard for our HC and new GM

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

But that dysfunctional and perception of being a bad organization is the reason we need to overpay for FAs.  The reason in the past HCs or FO folks decline to interview or don't want the job. 

Gase  better work out.  The GM/Scouting better work out.  Or this mess will haunt us.  So I'll be rooting hard for our HC and new GM

But if we get the right GM in here then we’ll draft better and be able to re-sign our own guys and won’t have to worry about poaching talent from the market. 

Keeping Macc around only sets up back even more. As long as we hire the right guy we’re fine. Gase/Williams are good enough to coaches to win games, getting the right talent evaluator in here is key. Macc is not that. 

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

But if we get the right GM in here then we’ll draft better and be able to re-sign our own guys and won’t have to worry about poaching talent from the market. 

Keeping Macc around only sets up back even more. As long as we hire the right guy we’re fine. Gase/Williams are good enough to coaches to win games, getting the right talent evaluator in here is key. Macc is not that. 

Truth be told I am not sold on Gase as a HC.  I am in his corner.  Hope he succeeds.  But he has not shown me leadership while in Miami. 

Again if CJ is down on Macc, fine.  But do it in January before he spends 100 million or drafts for you.   On top if now word is out that the HC does not think Bell and Mosely are worth the money .. think he will keep that locker room now? 

This is a mess.  We can only hope things turn around, we get someone who is mature and a leader to right the ship. 

No issue with firing Mac. Not even really concerned about the timing.

The issue is Gase. A guy with a terrible reputation for getting along with others already. Ran himself out of Miami. Instead of being forced to reflect on his shortcomings, immediately lands another HC opportunity. On top of that, helps overthrow the incumbent GM. Gase power is so immense for a guy who has been mediocre as a HC.

Remember when he was hired, he was asked about how he was going to learn from his past mistakes in Miami with dealing with other personalities. Then he essentially his first real move with the team is an exact replication of that. Add in the rumors of his "beef" over FA we signed and this does not bode well. Please prove me wrong.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If they hire Daniel Jeremiah as the GM I swear someone needs to start a petition for these idiots to sell the team. 

He being considered for more of a prominent FO role, he’s apparently good friends with Joe Douglas who appears to be the Front Runner so could be the The Assistant GM or head of College scouting 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If they hire Daniel Jeremiah as the GM I swear someone needs to start a petition for these idiots to sell the team. 

DJ at least has a fair amount of experience as a scout with actual NFL teams, and is fairly well respected.  Mayock, as much as i liked him on NFLN had 0 experience with actual football teams other than playing and talking on TV.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Joe Douglas all but certain. The Jets will have to interview a minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney Rule, but it’s going to happen. 

The more interesting question is whether or not Jeremiah joins him as the VP of Player Personnel 

Ya this was reported very quickly after the firing as him as our leading candidate.

DJ's name was thrown in because of relationship with Douglas. I don't know if DJ actually ponders to take a spot in FO for real.  If CJ wants to protect Gase then Douglas and DJ are only way to do.  Otherwise, it is going to be difficult to hire new GM after Gase being in charge of player movement.