Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think it was a blind gamble. I even knew Mayfield or Darnold would be there at 3. That is why I was so pumped. I thought we where getting Mayfield until the Browns did a 180. No way was the Giants drafting a QB. They wanted to help Manning and the best help is a RB for a QB. 

It was a blind gamble. There was no guarantee Darnold or Mayfield would have been there. 

That’s partly the reason Allen and Rosen were heavily linked to us. 

Actually watch the war room video when the Giants take Barkley. Macc was shocked Darnold was there. 

He had zero foresight, no one did. It just so happened that Gettlemen is an idiot. 

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It was a blind gamble. There was no guarantee Darnold or Mayfield would have been there. 

That’s partly the reason Allen and Rosen were heavily linked to us. 

Actually watch the war room video when the Giants take Barkley. Macc was shocked Darnold was there. 

He had zero foresight, no one did. It just so happened that Gettlemen is an idiot. 

I agree and even if Cleveland drafted Darnold  and Giants stuck with Barkley, there is no guarantee that we would have selected Mayfield. We could have gone for a more traditionally sized QB like Allen or Rosen

I’ll be one of those that’ll remember Macc for landing us Darnold. Looking back at his whole body of work, he needed to go. But he landed us Darnold. Call it whatever you want to call it; Sam Darnold is on this team because of Macc. Some fans will remember him as the guy that passed on Mahomes. I think both are fair. 

Gase will get credit for developing Darnold for sure. 

There’s a reason why legit GM candidates are now interested in the Jets job. Macc has made this team more attractive. 

Edited by SDotNova

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’ll be one of those that’ll remember Macc for landing us Darnold. Looking back at his whole body of work, he needed to go. But he landed us Darnold. Call it whatever you want to call it; Sam Darnold is on this team because of Macc. Some fans will remember him as the guy that passed on Mahomes. I think both are fair. 

Gase will get credit for developing Darnold for sure. 

There’s a reason why legit GM candidates are now interested in the Jets job. Macc has made this team more attractive. 

Man the bar is so low for Macc lol. 

I honestly don’t even consider him passing on Mahomes as a bad thing as not many people saw that coming. 

Im just not giving dude credit for landing players he didn’t even think would be there.

Best pick of the Macc era was Herndon. 

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Man the bar is so low for Macc lol. 

I honestly don’t even consider him passing on Mahomes as a bad thing as not many people saw that coming. 

Im just not giving dude credit for landing players he didn’t even think would be there.

Best pick of the Macc era was Herndon. 

It’s not about the bar being low. I just see a GM that actually moved this team in the right direction. A guy like Joe Douglas doesn’t take this interview 5 years ago or 7 years ago when we had to get guys like Macc and Idzik. We actually have a chance of being good for the next couple of decades.

Also, some had Rosen above Darnold. Had we taking Rosen, some fans would have been thrilled. Hindsight is 20 20. Cleveland changed everything. So we will never know who were the top 2 QBs on the Jets board.

45 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s not about the bar being low. I just see a GM that actually moved this team in the right direction. A guy like Joe Douglas doesn’t take this interview 5 years ago or 7 years ago when we had to get guys like Macc and Idzik. We actually have a chance of being good for the next couple of decades.

Also, some had Rosen above Darnold. Had we taking Rosen, some fans would have been thrilled. Hindsight is 20 20. Cleveland changed everything. So we will never know who were the top 2 QBs on the Jets board.

I give him credit for the trade even though Heimendinger is the one who executed it. 

You don’t find it ironic that every good player he’s brought in has either fell to him or he gifted them a huge contract.

That’s why I give him some credit for Herndon because at least he used some foresight there. 

Giving Macc credit for Darnold is basically saying he did the same KC did with Mahomes and it’s not. 

One was a blind trade up(thanks Gettlemen) and the other was identifying a guy they thought could be great and flying up the board to get him before someone else could. 

33 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I give him credit for the trade even though Heimendinger is the one who executed it. 

You don’t find it ironic that every good player he’s brought in has either fell to him or he gifted them a huge contract.

That’s why I give him some credit for Herndon because at least he used some foresight there. 

Giving Macc credit for Darnold is basically saying he did the same KC did with Mahomes and it’s not. 

One was a blind trade up(thanks Gettlemen) and the other was identifying a guy they thought could be great and flying up the board to get him before someone else could. 

Not every GM would have taking Adams, Leo, Q and Darnold. Teams actually passed on those guys. The Giants GM passed on Darnold just like we passed on Mahomes. Macc took a chance and it paid off.

Because they turned out well (Q is TBD) and were safe picks doesn’t change anything for me. They are on the Jets however it happened. 

The GM gets credit for the good and the bad of what happens even if some other person was banging the table or making the phone calls. Clearly Macc had a grip on trades. We saw how quickly Lee got traded as soon as he left. 

I agree he needed to go. I’m just not as sour on him as others. This team is just a few pieces away. But we will see this year since it’ll still be his team.

48 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Not every GM would have taking Adams, Leo, Q and Darnold. Teams actually passed on those guys. The Giants GM passed on Darnold just like we passed on Mahomes. Macc took a chance and it paid off.

Because they turned out well (Q is TBD) and were safe picks doesn’t change anything for me. They are on the Jets however it happened. 

The GM gets credit for the good and the bad of what happens even if some other person was banging the table or making the phone calls. Clearly Macc had a grip on trades. We saw how quickly Lee got traded as soon as he left. 

I agree he needed to go. I’m just not as sour on him as others. This team is just a few pieces away. But we will see this year since it’ll still be his team.

No 4-12 is a few pieces away. 

We can list Macc’s good on 1 hand and if you wanna reach and give him credit for things like Jamal Adams(the guy we told “why are you here” when he came into the building because we didn’t think he’d even be there) then fine. 

Macc built a juggernaut. 

If Darnold is a hit then Macc for sure deserves credit for that (even though he didn’t trade up for Darnold, he traded up to a spot to land 1 of Mayfield, Darnold or Allen). But really nothing else from his tenure should be celebrated. Adams is great. But he was the obvious pick there unless we went Mahomes (we arguably could have been the best thing for this franchise at the time). Everything else is a fail, just ok moved or things that won’t last long term (Bell). We have a lot of work to do in the drafts. Bc this OLine and WR groups need help as well as CB long term. And potentially still edge.

44 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

No 4-12 is a few pieces away. 

We can list Macc’s good on 1 hand and if you wanna reach and give him credit for things like Jamal Adams(the guy we told “why are you here” when he came into the building because we didn’t think he’d even be there) then fine. 

Macc built a juggernaut. 

I never said he built a juggernaut. The team as it stands today is not far away. The team this year is his team. I’m assuming you are not excited about this year then.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If Darnold is a hit then Macc for sure deserves credit for that (even though he didn’t trade up for Darnold, he traded up to a spot to land 1 of Mayfield, Darnold or Allen). But really nothing else from his tenure should be celebrated. Adams is great. But he was the obvious pick there unless we went Mahomes (we arguably could have been the best thing for this franchise at the time). Everything else is a fail, just ok moved or things that won’t last long term (Bell). We have a lot of work to do in the drafts. Bc this OLine and WR groups need help as well as CB long term. And potentially still edge.

Just because I’m not dragging the guy through the dirt, doesn’t mean I’m celebrating him. He left the team in good enough shape that we are now In play for top GM candidates like Douglas and Kelly. 

Agree about corner and C. Same with edge. WR is tbd. That’s a few pieces in my kind. One offseason can get us there. This is not a multi year project any more.

lol Still on here fighting about Macc? It's over. Took 5-6 years to build a team with Wildcard hopes. 

I like the list of names we're interviewing. Douglas seems like the lead man, but I'd be happy with anyone from this list. I like what New Orleans has been doing lately.