Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think Gase has a right to be upset about the money we spent but at the end of the day we had to do it. 

The way he speaks of Bell and Mosley is he likes the players but handing out big contracts in free agency isn’t always someone coaches like. 

Coaches coach the players. GM brings them in. If the contracts hurt the ability for the GM to bring in good players, then yes I agree. 

If not, then Gase should shut up and coach. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colt45fool said:

Coaches coach the players. GM brings them in. If the contracts hurt the ability for the GM to bring in good players, then yes I agree. 

If not, then Gase should shut up and coach. 

Gotta have a price, every organization does. I know why we overpaid for these guys and it mostly stems from Macc’s poor drafting. 

We also gotta remember these guys work in conjunction with each other. 

What if Gase really likes a player and Macc cut him because “the GM brings them in”

I suppose he had to go, and he was not exactly worth keeping, but as mentioned by someone else previously Gase is now the man in charge and he really has not done jack (with this or any other franchise). It is a very dangerous game we are playing here with a true unknown, although it is not like we have a legacy to protect or anything. If he is a failure, he just has to get in line then for the worst of all time hall of fame, Jets edition.

I do like the idea of bringing in someone like Douglas from a winning organization. And I also like the idea of bringing in Jeremiah. Thinking inside the box has never worked for us, maybe thinking outside the box (though not THAT far outside) will.

Like Bobby said, what the hell was Gase expecting this off-season...frugality? We had money, at least we spent it on talented football players. Sounds like a novel idea around these parts.

Anyway, I really hope expectations come down for this team for 2019 and beyond. We still don't know if Darnold is a franchise QB. We need to completely rebuild the drafting and developing departments and we also need to see if the new players mesh well with the new coaches/system. 

I am going into training camp this year expecting the worst. Maybe they will surprise me.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Gotta have a price, every organization does. I know why we overpaid for these guys and it mostly stems from Macc’s poor drafting. 

We also gotta remember these guys work in conjunction with each other. 

What if Gase really likes a player and Macc cut him because “the GM brings them in”

That's fair on all fronts. 

I just think Todd Bowles would have a case about those poor drafts rather than Gase. Gase has been given a talented team with plenty of cap flexibility imo.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

The issue now is the Bell Gase relationship. What's done is done and use your best player

If you listen to Gase talk about Bell then he’s going use him well. I think it was purely a money thing but Bell got paid at the end of the day so Bell should be fine. 

I am upset Macc’s guys are doing this reporting though because it could cause some issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colt45fool said:

I just think Todd Bowles would have a case about those poor drafts rather than Gase. Gase has been given a talented team with plenty of cap flexibility imo.

True, Bowles never spoke up though. He followed the status quo of the GM picks the players and it hurt him in the end. 

It is probably a good thing the reports revolve around Bell. We already know Bell is going to be a high-maintenance player. I think everybody in the room knows this, so they probably already anticipate a few issues here and there. 

It would have been worse if the rift centered around Quinnen Williams or Darnold or pretty much anyone else. I think Bell can handle knowing his coach did not really want him. He is used to that, me thinks. His former team did not want him anymore, either.

32 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

This team doesn’t have much cap flexibility any more. Next year, our cap space may likely all go Robby and Leo.