Holding a Record Not Likely to be Broken...All Hail Paul Krause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMVy0-ZjPc

Paul Krause came to the Vikings after first playing for the Washington Redskins. In his rookie season of 1964 he intercepted 12 passes...still a rookie DB record I believe.  The record that might never be broken is his 81 career interceptions.  Aquib Talib has the highest number of interceptions of any active player, but he's already been in the league for 11 seasons.  He will not catch Krause, and neither will Richard Sherman, who's next at 32 interceptions.  The amazing part of Krause's record to me, is he did it in an era when the season was only 14 games long, and if a quarterback threw the ball 20 times a game he'd probably have to retire to save his arm!! In other words, he made the most of the opportunities that came his way.  He is the very definition of a ball hawking safety!  He wasn't particularly physical, or terribly fast, but he could read a quarterback better than any DB who ever played.

He wasn't just a ball hawking safety either.  He played special teams for most of his career, including being the place holder for kicker Fred Cox! 

Should Krause's record go down, it certainly won't happen in my lifetime.  Enjoy the highlights attached above.

16 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

He wasn't just a ball hawking safety either.  He played special teams for most of his career, including being the place holder for kicker Fred Cox! 

in that football era, most QB's were the holders on field goals. why not, they had the surest hands on the team.

but Bud Grant, while coaching in the CFL, had a QB break his arm as the holder on a botched kick, so from that time on had a defensive back do it. he figured they could play with a cast on their arm if they had to.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

in that football era, most QB's were the holders on field goals. why not, they had the surest hands on the team.

but Bud Grant, while coaching in the CFL, had a QB break his arm as the holder on a botched kick, so from that time on had a defensive back do it. he figured they could play with a cast on their arm if they had to.

I remember that Grant didn't like his QBs being the holder because he didn't want someone having that job that might be tempted the throw the ball.  Maybe that is some other coach I am thinking of though.  If so, anyone know who?

Still can't believe his record. 81 interceptions doesn't seem real. That number looks like two or three HOFers' stats put together. No ball-hawk flew higher than Krause.

And as you can see from this video made before his induction, he knows it too. ^_^

• Like 2