2019 Packers Forum League- PHASE 5 [DRAFT DAY] (GO TO PAGE 8)

Cadmus

First-- Let's start by welcoming our two new owners @KingOfTheNorth and @Packerraymond.

We're glad to have both of you aboard. 

League Members for 2019: 

@JBURGE @ChaRisMa @CombOver @Lieker @Bieker1 @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001 @chucknorris101 @ajdodge09 @DannyB @squire12 @Cadmus @Packerraymond @KingOfTheNorth

Alright, let's get down to brass tacks. Based on input from a number of owners-- we've got 5 issues on the voting ballot this season. 

I'm going to outline each issue individually before I post a sample ballot below that each of you can copy and then fill out. 

1) The use of FAAB instead of traditional waivers (our current method, which awards players in-season based on overall record). 

@squire12 did an excellent job explaining this concept in our league thread, so I'll simply re-post his explanation of FAAB here. 

FAAB is a set up for in season player waiver/FA pick ups.  Each team has a set "budget" (fictional, not real $$).  Lets say it is set for each team at $100.

The process for in season player Waiver/FA claims is based on how much you "bid" on that player.  Player is awarded to the highest bidder, not a waiver order priority based on record.

So once you are out of FAAB budget $$, you are no longer able to bid on players in season.  

1.  players are awarded based on highest FAAB bid

2.  IF 2 or more teams tie for highest bid, then it goes to a secondary process, usually worst to best league standings priority (currently how we do it)

3.  Waiver claims are how this is done, after the player has been on waivers for the set amount of time, then you can add players first come first serve at no cost to your FAAB budget.

Our FAAB budget for the season would be $100 and you're allowed to spend that however you want (you could make one large FA acquisition of $80+ or multiple smaller acquisitions).

2) The use of Live Draft instead of the current month-long draft format. 

Not much to explain here to anyone familiar with fantasy football, but for the sake of clarification: we would complete all 10 rounds of the draft on a single night during June, July or August.

3) League Migration from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (I'm open to another league hosting site if ya'll really don't like Sleeper). 

FleaFlicker is a solid, but unspectacular host. There have been multiple owners in the last year that have asked if we should consider moving to a different site to host the league. 

I spoke with @JBURGE and then spent some time researching the options. It quickly became clear to me that Sleeper currently represents the best option to host a dynasty/keeper league. It would a require a little bit of work from me to complete the transition, but we'd have improved app support (easier to do just about everything on a cellphone), an improved draft program, and just an overall upgrade in terms of usability. 

Here's the link to Sleeper if you want to explore: 

https://sleeper.app/

Here's a few screenshots of how the draft program looks and the live news updates. 

sleeper.png 

sleeper2.png

4a) Remove Kicker Position --> 4b) If Removed, Potentially Replace the Position with Another FLEX. 

Before I start into both parts of the vote, I just want to remind everyone of the current roster rules. 

• Each roster contains 20 players
  • There are 2 IR slots (You can roster up to 22 players if both IR spots are full)
  • Each week we start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX, K and D/ST (11 Total Starters)

Few, if any fantasy players like to win/lose a week based on a how many points a kicker scores. 

Part A) Should we remove the Kicker position for the upcoming season? 

Part B) Should we replace the Kicker position with another FLEX position? 

Due to the size and history of the league if we remove the KICKER position, we cannot replace it with a QB, RB or TE. In a 14 Team League in its the 7th year, we're simply not equipped to add any starters  at those 3 positions, nor should we--if the plan is to maintain fairness throughout the league. 

IF we remove the K position these are the two options that will be available to vote on: 

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) 

The first option (Option X) means the starters would be (starting in 2019):

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX, and D/ST (10 Total Starters)

Option Y: Remove the K position, and replace with a FLEX starter (RB/WR/TE) with the plan to change the 4th FLEX starter into a 3rd WR starter before the 2021 season (I want to give each owner ample time to modify their roster composition over time to best match the league roster rules).

The second option (Option Y) means the starters for the next 3 seasons would be:

2019:  QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX and D/ST (11 Total Starters)

2020:  QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX and D/ST (11 Total Starters)

2021:  QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, FLEX and D/ST (11 Total Starters)

@JBURGE does not like the concept of 4 FLEX players, and I tend to agree that it's a less than ideal solution. However, to be clear-- IF we choose to add a 4th FLEX slot it will only be a temporary solution for the next two seasons until we add a WR3 slot (to replace FLEX4) in 2021. 

5) Slowly transition from 10 Keepers to 11 Keepers. 

@squire12 asked about 12 Keepers, so I wanted to put this up for a vote. I'm strongly against any increase in keepers for the upcoming season because I think any sudden change could harm balance across the league. However, I will entertain an increase in keepers for the 2020 season. 

Option A: Maintain 10 Keepers 

Option B: Increase Keepers to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season

6) Let's Find a Day to Draft 

IF we select a Live Draft (seems like the overwhelming favorite at the moment) we'll need to select a date.

Below are 6 Dates that I have selected (I'm not attached to any of them, I'm just trying to find a consensus). Please mark yes or no for the six dates listed (You can just copy the SAMPLE ballot at the end of the post to indicate the dates). 

June 16th (Sunday) YES or NO

June 26th (Wednesday) YES or NO

July 21st (Sunday) YES or NO

July 30th (Monday) YES or NO

August 13th (Tuesday) YES or NO 

August 18th (Sunday) YES or NO

Please also list ANY dates in June, July or August that you know will not work for you. 

Example: (For Myself)

KNOWN CONFLICTS: 

July 12th-14th 

July 25th-28th 

August 1st-August 4th 

Below is a SAMPLE Ballot that you can copy and paste (Please indicate/fill out each question) 

SAMPLE BALLOT

1) Immediately transition to FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) for waivers: YES or NO

2) Immediately transition to a Live Draft format for 2019 Rookie/Unclaimed Vet Draft: YES or NO

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: YES or NO

4a) Remove the Kicker Position for 2019: YES or NO

4b) If you chose to remove the Kicker Position: 

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) YES or NO

Option Y: Remove the K position, and replace with a fourth FLEX (RB/WR/TE) that will be replaced by a WR3 after the 2020 season YES or NO

5) Increase the number of keepers from 10 to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season (a NO vote will indicate you prefer to remain at 10 keepers): YES or NO

6a) Potential Live Draft Dates (Please Indicate YES or NO for each date) 

6b) Please list any known date conflicts: 

Known Conflicts: 

Edited by Cadmus

CADMUS BALLOT

1) Immediately transition to FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) for waivers: YES or NO

2) Immediately transition to a Live Draft format for 2019 Rookie/Unclaimed Vet Draft: YES or NO

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: YES or NO

4b) If you chose to remove the Kicker Position: 

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) YES or NO

Option Y: Remove the K position, and replace with a fourth FLEX (RB/WR/TE) that will be replaced by a WR3 after the 2020 season YES or NO

5) Increase the number of keepers from 10 to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season (a NO vote will indicate you prefer to remain at 10 keepers): YES or NO

Known Conflicts: July 12th-14th, July 25th-28th, August 1st-August 4th 

Notes: For #4, I'm truly open to any of the three options, although I would prefer to eliminate the KICKER-- I wouldn't mind if we reduced starters to 10 or replaced the K with another FLEX position. For #5, I'm going to vote NO because I think that's probably best for the league, but I'd also be okay with expanding to 11 Keepers as long as it doesn't occur until after the 2019 NFL Season. 

Edited by Cadmus

12 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

SAMPLE BALLOT

4b) If you chose to remove the Kicker Position: 

Known Conflicts: 

Later the better for the draft. July 13th weekend I'm unavailable, other than that I'm not sure at this point 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Later the better for the draft. July 13th weekend I'm unavailable, other than that I'm not sure at this point 

And that's totally fair, I don't expect everyone to have all of these dates figured out, I just want people to fill them out to the best of their ability. 

Edited by Cadmus

CADMUS BALLOT

1) YES 

2) YES 

3) Fleaflicker or make a good argument.  Otherwise, I'd prefer not to change

4a) Remove the Kicker Position for 2019: YES 

Option X:  YES

Option Y: YES 

5)  YES 

June 16th (Sunday) YES or NO

June 26th (Wednesday) YES or NO

July 21st (Sunday) YES or NO

July 30th (Monday) YES or NO

August 13th (Tuesday) YES or NO 

August 18th (Sunday) YES or NO

Known Conflicts: July 12th-14th, July 25th-28th, August 1st-August 4th 

*******Me personally: July 26th, 27th and 28th are conflicts*******

1 hour ago, Cadmus said:

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: YES or NO *I'll abstain from voting here as I've used neither, so I don't want to cast an uneducated vote*

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) YES or NO

June 16th (Sunday)  YES or NO

July 21st (Sunday) YES or NO

Known Conflicts: July 1-July 5 July 20-21, August 8th-August 12th 

1) Immediately transition to FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) for waivers: YES 

2) Immediately transition to a Live Draft format for 2019 Rookie/Unclaimed Vet Draft: YES 

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: YES 

4a) Remove the Kicker Position for 2019: YES 

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) NO

Option Y: Remove the K position, and replace with a fourth FLEX (RB/WR/TE) that will be replaced by a WR3 after the 2020 season YES 

5) Increase the number of keepers from 10 to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season (a NO vote will indicate you prefer to remain at 10 keepers): YES 

June 16th (Sunday) YES 

June 26th (Wednesday) NO

July 21st (Sunday) YES 

July 30th (Monday) NO

August 13th (Tuesday) NO 

August 18th (Sunday) YES 

6b) Please list any known date conflicts

1) Immediately transition to FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) for waivers: YES 

2) Immediately transition to a Live Draft format for 2019 Rookie/Unclaimed Vet Draft:  NO

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: NO

4a) Remove the Kicker Position for 2019: NO (but not a huge deal)

5) Increase the number of keepers from 10 to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season (a NO vote will indicate you prefer to remain at 10 keepers): NO

June 16th (Sunday) NO (this is Fathers Day)

June 26th (Wednesday)  NO (at summerfest)

July 21st (Sunday)  NO (on vacation)

July 30th (Monday)  Possible (would have to be starting no earlier than 830 PM central time)

August 13th (Tuesday) Possible  

August 18th (Sunday) Possible 

Known Conflicts:  June 21-23, June 26-30, July 3-8, July 12-21, August 2-4.  Will be on vacation for a 10 day stretch in August, not sure on the dates just yet

If anything, we need fewer keepers. Not more. This league has been dominated by a few teams with incredibly stacked rosters, and allowing them to keep even more of their young promising players is stupid. I say if we're voting on changing the number of keepers, lowering the amount of keepers should also be a voting option. 

But yeah both FAAB and more keepers rewards teams that are deep and punishes teams that are weaker. 

Edited by ajdodge09
  • Like 1

1) Immediately transition to FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) for waivers: YES or NO

2) Immediately transition to a Live Draft format for 2019 Rookie/Unclaimed Vet Draft: YES

3) Migrate league hosting site from FleaFlicker to Sleeper (if other preference please indicate) before the start of the 2019 NFL Season: YES

4a) Remove the Kicker Position for 2019: YES

Option X: Remove the K position, and drop from 11 weekly starters to 10 weekly starters (rosters of 20 will be maintained) YES (I think I prefer this)

Option Y: Remove the K position, and replace with a fourth FLEX (RB/WR/TE) that will be replaced by a WR3 after the 2020 season YES (I'd be okay with this as well, but honestly would prefer to just switch to a 3rd WR this year. I don't really think in practice it will really throw a wrench into anybody's grand plan. Just do it. Or at least do it in '20. 2021?? I can't even imagine that far ahead.)

5) Increase the number of keepers from 10 to 11 for the 2020 NFL Season (a NO vote will indicate you prefer to remain at 10 keepers): NO (I'm open to YES, but without really going through how the league looks right now, I'm not inclined to make a change)

June 16th (Sunday) YES

June 26th (Wednesday) YES

July 21st (Sunday) YES

July 30th (Monday) YES

August 13th (Tuesday) YES

August 18th (Sunday) YES

On 5/16/2019 at 6:34 AM, ajdodge09 said:

If anything, we need fewer keepers. Not more. This league has been dominated by a few teams with incredibly stacked rosters, and allowing them to keep even more of their young promising players is stupid. I say if we're voting on changing the number of keepers, lowering the amount of keepers should also be a voting option. 

But yeah both FAAB and more keepers rewards teams that are deep and punishes teams that are weaker. 

The only reason I put an increase of keepers up for a vote is because that was a question posed by another owner when I asked for any rule change recommendations. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:43 AM, squire12 said:

I am in for 2019.

Yes for FAAB.

Don't really see the need for a live draft.  Lessens trades and hard to coordinate 14 schedules.

Thoughts on upping keepers from 10 to 12?

ALL of the rule changes that were proposed have been brought to me by other owners (That doesn't mean I don't agree with or haven't thought about a few of them before). I'm simply trying to act as an arbitrator for the league and act in the best interest of all owners. We've also done this dance before--in terms of keepers (2 or 3 seasons ago) when we considered adding or subtracting keepers from each squad. Ultimately, we ended up back at 10 because the league couldn't come to agreement. 

When I'm commissioner of any league, the three questions I ask myself anytime we consider rule changes are 1) Does it maintain fairness?, 2) Does it maintain competition? and 3) Does it maintain/increase fun/engagement?  

With that being said let's address both of your issues here: 

1) You claim the league has been dominated by a few teams --> It's hard to agree with that statement when you look at league standings the last few years. 

2018 (Top 5 Teams)- JBurge, Cadmus, Squire, Bieker, PandaSquadAlpha 

2017 (Top 5 Teams)- JBurge, Chucknorris, Kal-El, Lieker, Charisma 

2016 (Top 5 teams)- JBurge, DannyB, PandaSquadAlpha, Central (Bieker), AjDodge

There's nothing here to suggest the league has been dominated by a few teams. There's only one instance of a team staying in the Top 5 in back-to-back years from 2016-2018. Yes, the @JBURGE reign might be slightly frustrating to some, but that has as much to do with Le'Veon Bell's health in 2015 than anything. He finished in last place in 2015 after Bell's injury and that allowed him to draft Zeke, and then he mortgaged his future selections to move up to select McCaffrey (He hasn't had a 1st RD pick in at least 2 years). That's just how it goes sometimes. A few good moves and a little bit of luck have kept him in the Top 5 for three straight years. 

Again, just to point out that the league hasn't been dominated by a few squads. When I joined the league in 2016, the fourth best player on my orphan roster was Terrance Williams. I've been part of the league for a little under 3 years and every player on my roster has been acquired via draft or trade. If anyone wants to revamp their roster, it's a very trade friendly league. 

If you want to propose to cut keepers down to 9 players I will put that at the top of the 2020 ballot. The keepers weren't going to change for the 2019 season anyway and with the likely removal of the kicker position I want everyone to have a year of experience playing with that roster adjustment before we vote to further reduce keepers. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with a reduction to 9 eventually, but we should make every effort to keep the changes incremental wherever possible to maintain league fairness. 

Basicaly, I don't want to vote to potentially add a starter (and a non-kicker roster spot) AND vote to reduce the keepers in the same year. We should at least have a year of experience with a new roster format before we consider reducing the keepers. (There seems to be minimal support to increasing from keepers, so we'll be staying at 10 for 2019 either way). 

2) In terms of FAAB. 

It's an issue that has been brought up repeatedly, and seems to be the overwhelming favorite. I think the overall improvement in terms of league engagement outweighs any concerns about fairness (of which I have little concern). Teams can end up at the bottom of the league for a number of reasons (including injuries to a star player or just overall team youth) and I think the teams in the middle have often suffered the most because they have little opportunity to acquire players in 14 team league with the current reverse-waiver order rules. In any case where two owners bid the same for a player the team with the worse record would receive the player. Teams at the bottom of league are already rewarded with an non-snaked rookie/unclaimed vet draft.

Edited by Cadmus

Alright, I've got 8 ballots submitted. 

I still need ballots from @KingOfTheNorth, @ChaRisMa, @Bieker1, @Dwade1001, @ajdodge09, and @PandaSquadAlpha

After I get a few more ballots, I'm going to put together a calendar of dates that will be ruled out for the draft (so please let me know if you have any known conflicts that you forgot to list). Then I'll start to count the ballots, and begin to work towards determining a date that works for everyone. 

I'll update everyone again by the end of next week (so please continue to check FF). 

Bieker1 BALLOT

Known Conflicts: June 24-27

2 hours ago, Cadmus said:

There's nothing here to suggest the league has been dominated by a few teams. There's only one instance of a team staying in the Top 5 in back-to-back years from 2016-2018. Yes, the @JBURGE reign might be slightly frustrating to some, but that has as much to do with Le'Veon Bell's health in 2015 than anything. He finished in last place in 2015 after Bell's injury and that allowed him to draft Zeke, and then he mortgaged his future selections to move up to select McCaffrey (He hasn't had a 1st RD pick in at least 2 years). That's just how it goes sometimes. A few good moves and a little bit of luck have kept him in the Top 5 for three straight years. 

To be fair, I voted against increasing keepers, and wouldn't be opposed to it lowering to 8. However, with this being a dynasty, I'd rather keep it at 10.