Sheldon Richardson traded to Seahawks

Forge

7 hours ago, Tatupu_64 said:

Nah, just means Malik is out for the year

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I think John Scneider and Pete Carroll wanted Sheldon Richardson anyway.

Now, if the extension talks get serious, that's some serious indicative that McDonald's state is career threatening.

Honestly, PC/JS dealt tons of high picks in their regimen, but only two of those deals were for established NFL players: Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham, neither of which were rentals. They straight out gave Harvin a huge deal and Graham had 3 seasons in his deal at that point.

I think they are just holding the extension talks to make this decision when they have better info on Malik's health and Sheldon's chemistry with the locker room.

Seahawks has 10m in cap space for 2017, and is desperate for finding more capspace. Indication of that is that they tried shopping Lane this offseason, and I'll think they'll do it again as soon as DeShawn Shead is fit to play.

For 2018, they'll have around 35 mil available plus whatever carry over they get from 2017, when Jimmy Graham, Luke Joeckel, Sheldon Richardson, Eddie Lacy, DeShawn Shead, Luke Willson and Paul Richardson's contracts are up. 

As of now, if you ask me if this Sheldon Richardson, 26 year-old, All-Pro talent, every down defensive tackle, is worth one of those 16m APY deals, the answer would be yes. IF You ask me if they have the flexibility to do so, the answer would also be yes.

The problems are: after 2018, Richard Sherman, Frank Clark, KJ Wright, Cliff Avril, Tyler Lockett, Thomas Rawls and Mark Glowinski (all starters or borderline) contracts are up, and some of them, specially the first four, are gonna be really expensive.

Also, the Seahawks won't have info on LT George Fant's development before deciding on keeping Joeckel or letting him go and this is  ******* pain in the *** for cap strategy.

At the end of the day, these are good problems to have.

Sheldon Richardson will have to be truly elite (top 3 as an interior pass rusher) for the Seahawks to rationalize paying him. They just resigned Bennett, Clark will need to be kept, and Avril has a couple years left. Schneider has always been aware of comp picks and knows that he's going to get a 3rd out of Richardson if he walks after the year

3 hours ago, Tatupu_64 said:

Sheldon Richardson will have to be truly elite (top 3 as an interior pass rusher) for the Seahawks to rationalize paying him. They just resigned Bennett, Clark will need to be kept, and Avril has a couple years left. Schneider has always been aware of comp picks and knows that he's going to get a 3rd out of Richardson if he walks after the year

Couldn't he be tagged one year if needed?

2 hours ago, Tatupu_64 said:

I just would not be confident this is more than a 1 year rental

They spent a 2nd rounder on a rental ?

OR are they banking on getting a decent comp pick to lessen that blow ?

EDIT, just read your comment above, nevermind

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, giving up a 2nd round pick for a rental isn't a smart business model.

Would they get a comp pick for him if he left, or does the player need to be acquired prior to a certain point in the off season? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Would they get a comp pick for him if he left, or does the player need to be acquired prior to a certain point in the off season? 

I believe they're still eligible for a draft pick since he was acquired before the season started, and his contract naturally expired.

22 hours ago, Tatupu_64 said:

For sure. I am not saying I am confident he'll be gone, I just would not be confident this is more than a 1 year rental

I don't think there's any other franchise in the NFL that values draft picks as much as Seattle, and they never dealt a pick this high without a long term plan.

I think they're just hoping for Sheldon to earn himself his money and they'll gladly pay or franchise him.

Cap space ain't no problem. They are trying to ship Lane (saves 4.5 m next year) and they could easily trade Avril next season (creating 7.5m cap space). Add that to the 30-ish millions in cap we'll have available, plus the 2017 cap roll over, plus minor deals (like restructuring Russ similarly to what they did with Baldwin)... They'll make it work.

The thing is: if he plays out an all pro, dpoy candidate performance and demands 100m/5 years, then franchise him and pick a first round pick from a team.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:23 AM, brazilianguy said:

I don't think there's any other franchise in the NFL that values draft picks as much as Seattle, and they never dealt a pick this high without a long term plan.

I think they're just hoping for Sheldon to earn himself his money and they'll gladly pay or franchise him.

Cap space ain't no problem. They are trying to ship Lane (saves 4.5 m next year) and they could easily trade Avril next season (creating 7.5m cap space). Add that to the 30-ish millions in cap we'll have available, plus the 2017 cap roll over, plus minor deals (like restructuring Russ similarly to what they did with Baldwin)... They'll make it work.

The thing is: if he plays out an all pro, dpoy candidate performance and demands 100m/5 years, then franchise him and pick a first round pick from a team.

On the contrary; I don't think there's a team in the NFL as willing to trade 1st or 2nd round picks as Seattle is.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:00 PM, domepatrol91 said:

Couldn't he be tagged one year if needed?

Definitely. I'd have to look at contracts, and it depends on what he is classified as, but that could be the cheaper option. Though Aaron Donald is going to wreck the franchise tag cost for a DT when LAR finally signs him

Archived