Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Sorry, you must be looking for a different thread. This is the airport behavior thread. 

Edited by Cakeshoppe

Excitement index. In this thread we were asked who we thought would take a jump this year. There were a LOT of different answers. So how about an 'excitement index', essentially expressing your excitement level or confidence level in the many listed breakout guys. Score is from 5 to 10, with an extra rating of <5 to reflect anyone you just don't have much confidence in. The score assumes the player is relatively healthy for much of the season.

Here is my list:

Jaire Alexander 9

Darnell Savage 7

MVS 7

ESB 6

J'mon Moore <5

Jake Kumerow 6

Montravius Adams 8

Rashan Gary 7

Tim Boyle 5

Oren Burks 6

Elgton Jenkins 5

Josh Jones <5

J.K.Scott 5

Jace Sternberger 5

Kendall Donnerson 5

Some of these numbers need explanation. All rookies have a tougher time making an impact than players with a year or more under their belts, therefore I mark them a little lower. Even the highest rated rookies (Gary and Savage) only rate 7 because of this. Next year they have an excellent chance of cranking up a point (or even, heady thought, two points).

I think the only thing holding M. Adams back is his injuries last year. Packers players who saw him close up were pretty enthusiastic about his ability. Alexander has already looked good, he just needs a normal year one to two progression. ESB is pretty close to being equal to MVS (who got a 7), maybe he should have been a 7 himself, hard choice there. Kumerow has the confidence of Rodgers because he is always where he is supposed to be, which certainly helps his chances and balances well against his having bounced around several teams. I had a hard choice with J'Mon, he hasn't done anything, but he does have some unusual skills, so if he can improve his hands he has a chance - maybe he should rate a straight 5.

Burks is a real question mark. He wasn't good last year, but he was injured. His score is a compromise between enthusiasm and results. He has the athleticism you want, but needs to shed guys better and improve his understanding of what he is seeing.

The many 5 scores reflect hope without much certainty, except for Sternberger. With him, the score reflects the difficulty in learning TE and getting on the field when there are two savvy vets in front of you. I actually feel very good about Sternberger in the future, and with a year behind him would rate much higher. Donnerson appears here when many guys do not because he was my choice in this breakout player thread, but the breakout is on ST this year – it's just those awesome physical stats that give me hope.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 2:51 PM, Outpost31 said:

The only excuse for saying "It's a bomb," at an airport is if you're misheard saying, "It's a balm," at the airport. 

Exactly. You talk about the balm in Gilead....no wait...sorry, you sing about it...

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Excitement index. In this thread we were asked who we thought would take a jump this year. There were a LOT of different answers. So how about an 'excitement index', essentially expressing your excitement level or confidence level in the many listed breakout guys. Score is from 5 to 10, with an extra rating of <5 to reflect anyone you just don't have much confidence in. The score assumes the player is relatively healthy for much of the season.

Here is my list:

Jaire Alexander 9

Darnell Savage 7

MVS 7 - 8.5

ESB 6 - 7 (I'm not buying the Allison hype so I think he and MVS get a lot of chances)

J'mon Moore <5 - 5.5 just has to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. 

Jake Kumerow 6

Montravius Adams 8 - 7 (not as sold on him as many here but man would I love to be wrong)

Rashan Gary 7 - 8.5

Tim Boyle 5 

Oren Burks 6 - 7.5

Elgton Jenkins 5 - 7.5 (just because I think he's going to start and not a fan of Billy Turner)

Josh Jones <5J

Robert Tonyan - 7.5 ( I don't see Jimmy Graham being much again this year and Tonyan will step up.)

Kevin King - 8.5 (he has all the tools, just needs to stay healthy. I'll be real disappointed if he isn't starting ahead of Tramon opening night.

Josh Jackson - 8 (he will hopefully be the nickel CB ahead of Tramon. He's going to take a big step this year, just watch.)

Tony Brown - 6 (more hopeful than anything, but I don't want to see Tramon on the field.)

Cole Madison - 6 (will provide nice depth this year, potential starter in 2020. 

I love this concept and will just put mine next to yours in red. We are probably very close on many, but I'm sure I'll be a bit more of a homer. I am really excited for this season with all the young talent. 

10 hours ago, Golfman said:

I love this concept and will just put mine next to yours in red. We are probably very close on many, but I'm sure I'll be a bit more of a homer. I am really excited for this season with all the young talent. 

I was hoping others would put their own numbers out. I can't believe I didn't include King and Jackson in my original post (I'd have given them 7 and 6.5). Tony Brown is also deserving of a mention - I'd give him 5. The difference in my score and yours with Elgton Jenkins made me re-think the score I gave him. I wouldn't go as high as you, but I'd up the 5 to a 6.

The sheer number of guys that have a solid chance at making a good jump, along with the coordinators and head coach, make this the most intriguing season for ages.

• Like 2

Here is my list:

Jaire Alexander 9

Darnell Savage 7

MVS 7 

ESB 6

J'mon Moore <5

Jake Kumerow 6

Montravius Adams 8

Rashan Gary 7

Tim Boyle 5

Oren Burks 6

Elgton Jenkins 5

Josh Jones <5

J.K.Scott 5

Jace Sternberger 5

Kendall Donnerson 5

double post

I was hoping others would put their own numbers out. I can't believe I didn't include King and Jackson in my original post (I'd have given them 7 and 6.5). Tony Brown is also deserving of a mention - I'd give him 5. The difference in my score and yours with Elgton Jenkins made me re-think the score I gave him. I wouldn't go as high as you, but I'd up the 5 to a 6.

The sheer number of guys that have a solid chance at making a good jump, along with the coordinators and head coach, make this the most intriguing season for ages.

I kind of did my grading system as 9 out of 10 is an A, 8 out of 10 is a b and so on. 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Golfman said:

Kevin King - 8.5 (he has all the tools, just needs to stay healthy. I'll be real disappointed if he isn't starting ahead of Tramon opening night.

The only way Tramon starts ahead of him is if King is too injured to start.  Sure he’s battled injuries but he’s a beast.  Let’s hope this is the season he shines.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The only way Tramon starts ahead of him is if King is too injured to start.  Sure he’s battled injuries but he’s a beast.  Let’s hope this is the season he shines.  

Man I hope this guy stays healthy!  When he stays upright and isn't on the bench with injuries ... agreed ... beast.  However, I'm very wary of his past history being hurt.  Fingers crossed but realistically not expecting much.