Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

Tramon in the Nickle? No way Tramon starts over Alexander unless it's Alexander's turn to be injured.

I'm thinking that 3 corners is more of a standard package than 2 corners.  Kind of like nickle/dime versus a straight 3/4 defense.

I'm not counting Tramon out of the safety discussion yet either.  He played there last year and could end up starting back there for a couple games while Savage gets worked in slowly.  And we know that Pettine likes the 3 safety look.  Tramon could be the third in some packages with Tony or Josh taking the other corner spot.

Nice to have some flexibility back there.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not counting Tramon out of the safety discussion yet either. 

Gute offers some subtle hints on Tramon's 2019 role:   

“I think naturally Tramon is more of a corner, but he can do it all,” Gutekunst said, via Michael Cohen of The Athletic. “He’s such an unselfish player and such a pro that I think he’ll (go) wherever he fits in or whatever makes the team best. I think naturally he’s more of a corner. I think we all thought with Tramon’s skill set he was able to play the post, but we signed him as a corner.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Gute offers some subtle hints on Tramon's 2019 role:   

“I think naturally Tramon is more of a corner, but he can do it all,” Gutekunst said, via Michael Cohen of The Athletic. “He’s such an unselfish player and such a pro that I think he’ll (go) wherever he fits in or whatever makes the team best. I think naturally he’s more of a corner. I think we all thought with Tramon’s skill set he was able to play the post, but we signed him as a corner.”

I can agree with all of that.  Still think that after playing safety for part of a season and corner for all of these years, he's light years ahead of where Savage will be in week one.

I'd prefer to break the rookie in slowly and use Tramon's experience to help assist with that.

And...I'm unsure if he can really run with many receivers anymore.  But if he's in a 3 corner set, odds are there's one guy there that he can cover.  Let the young kids do the dirty work.

Plus...he won't have to cover as long since our pass rush is going to be amazing!  (Perhaps I'm overconfident there, but hey, it's how I feel!)

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I can agree with all of that.  Still think that after playing safety for part of a season and corner for all of these years, he's light years ahead of where Savage will be in week one.

I'd prefer to break the rookie in slowly and use Tramon's experience to help assist with that.

And...I'm unsure if he can really run with many receivers anymore.  But if he's in a 3 corner set, odds are there's one guy there that he can cover.  Let the young kids do the dirty work.

Plus...he won't have to cover as long since our pass rush is going to be amazing!  (Perhaps I'm overconfident there, but hey, it's how I feel!)

He lost a few steps after the shoulder injury back in 2012 and tried to make up for it with his IQ which masked a lot of significant issues. He was signed to be a corner, but he really should be playing a hybrid FS role where he can diagnose where help is needed and how the play will unfold.

Tramon can still run enough to play corner.  He's the kind of guy that'll still have decent wheels into his 40s.  Sure, he can't run like he used to and he'll struggle with speed, but I seriously doubt he's any slower than Josh Jackson for example.

14 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Tramon can still run enough to play corner.  He's the kind of guy that'll still have decent wheels into his 40s.  Sure, he can't run like he used to and he'll struggle with speed, but I seriously doubt he's any slower than Josh Jackson for example.

Josh Jackson ran a 4.49 at the combine. I'm still confused as to why people keep saying that he's so slow? There's no way Tramon is running a 4.5 right now IMO. He looked like an old man most of the time last year.

4 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Josh Jackson ran a 4.49 at the combine. I'm still confused as to why people keep saying that he's so slow? There's no way Tramon is running a 4.5 right now IMO. He looked like an old man most of the time last year.

He didn't, it was downgraded to 4.56, and I strongly disagree. His change of direction is going a little bit but I didn't see anywhere on film where it looked like he couldn't run. People say he looked slow because they expected him to look slow, and you rarely see DBs on the TV copy so it's easy to believe whatever you want. 

44 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

He didn't, it was downgraded to 4.56, and I strongly disagree. His change of direction is going a little bit but I didn't see anywhere on film where it looked like he couldn't run. People say he looked slow because they expected him to look slow, and you rarely see DBs on the TV copy so it's easy to believe whatever you want. 

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2018/03/26/josh-jackson-iowa-pro-day-40-yard-dash-nfl-draft-chad-leistikow-josey-jewell/458027002/

Jackson did not participate in optional media interviews Monday, but Blair Sanderson of Rivals.com reported that Jackson clocked in with 40-yard times of 4.52 and 4.54 seconds — upgrades from his marks of 4.56 and 4.60 in Indy. Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com reported even better times for the ball-hawking corner.

"I’m told most watches had him in the mid to low 4.4’s with some timing him as fast as 4.42," he wrote.

I think his 40 times depends on what you want to believe.  

Not that it matters all that much.  Tramon doesn't have wheels anymore, but he will get by with smarts.  And I don't see why/how GB would have him match up with the other teams' fast receiver(s).  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Still think that after playing safety for part of a season and corner for all of these years, he's light years ahead of where Savage will be in week one.

Tramon was raving about him earlier this summer saying he’s way ahead of the curve and asking for more.  Davante was too.  There’s a good possibility that we won’t need to ease Savage in and that gives us flexibility with how and where to use Tramon.  

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Tramon was raving about him earlier this summer saying he’s way ahead of the curve and asking for more.  Davante was too.  There’s a good possibility that we won’t need to ease Savage in and that gives us flexibility with how and where to use Tramon.  

I remember seeing/reading that.  And that does give me reason to be optimistic about Savage.

But the fact is that few guys step in back there and get it done right away.  Maybe he will be one of the few.

I think Ha Ha played in 16 games, but maybe only started like 10 of them.

Still I'm happy that they have a guy like Tramon around to help out if needed back there.  And I hope that Savage gets it sooner as opposed to later.  Certainly a nice skillset to work with back there and you gotta love it when others guys rave about his football IQ.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2018/03/26/josh-jackson-iowa-pro-day-40-yard-dash-nfl-draft-chad-leistikow-josey-jewell/458027002/

Jackson did not participate in optional media interviews Monday, but Blair Sanderson of Rivals.com reported that Jackson clocked in with 40-yard times of 4.52 and 4.54 seconds — upgrades from his marks of 4.56 and 4.60 in Indy. Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com reported even better times for the ball-hawking corner.

"I’m told most watches had him in the mid to low 4.4’s with some timing him as fast as 4.42," he wrote.

I think his 40 times depends on what you want to believe.  

Not that it matters all that much.  Tramon doesn't have wheels anymore, but he will get by with smarts.  And I don't see why/how GB would have him match up with the other teams' fast receiver(s).  

I put no stock into pro day 40 times, but regardless I agree with your overall point anyway.  Tramon isn't going to be covering the #1 with any regularity, and he's got the savvy to cover depth speed guys anyway.