Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

MVS on offense for sure.  Too talented to keep off the field, and has the work ethic to play any receiver position.  Given all the work he did to learn Mac's playbook front to back last year, I expect him to end the year as the clear cut #2 and a guy who will have a few plays in the book just for him.

On defense I'll actually take Fackrell.  His 10 sacks aside, he's a far, far better complementary rusher than he is a focal point, and with the Smiths and Gary I expect him to produce much more consistently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

MVS on offense for sure.  Too talented to keep off the field, and has the work ethic to play any receiver position.  Given all the work he did to learn Mac's playbook front to back last year, I expect him to end the year as the clear cut #2 and a guy who will have a few plays in the book just for him.

On defense I'll actually take Fackrell.  His 10 sacks aside, he's a far, far better complementary rusher than he is a focal point, and with the Smiths and Gary I expect him to produce much more consistently.

Totally see this. The other two will draw enough attention to open up opportunities for him. I can see him getting 8 1/2 this year.

I think most of the good candidates have been named.

Montravious Adams was actually showing some signs of life late last year. It's a "**** or get off the pot" year for him, too. I don't know if "breakout" is what I see from him but if he can become more consistent then he may make us feel better about seeing Mike Daniels walk next year.

I also think we'll see more receiving production from Marcedes Lewis this season. LaFleur uses TEs pretty heavily and Lewis is easily the best guy we've got in the blocking department, so I expect he'll see the field a lot more, which could lead to some big plays in the RZ and on PA.

I'm thinking on offense it'll be whoever wins the slot. I'd probably lean towards EQ (then Moore) but I'm assuming it'll be Allison because AR12 loves him. I'm thinking 60/750/7 for whichever guy it is if they lockdown the position all year. 

Defense is SO wide open. There's like a half dozen guys I want to mention really stepping up not including Clark or JA potentially "breaking" into probowl/elite range.

Aaron Jones.  We're going to need a dominate running game if we're gonna make it back into the playoffs.  IMO this is pretty easily the least talented group of pass catchers Rodgers has ever had to work with.  

35 minutes ago, SSG said:

Aaron Jones.  We're going to need a dominate running game if we're gonna make it back into the playoffs.  IMO this is pretty easily the least talented group of pass catchers Rodgers has ever had to work with.  

How the **** is this year's group of pass catchers less talented than last year's?

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How the **** is this year's group of pass catchers less talented than last year's?

They added a rookie TE with one season of D1 production and lost their only slot WR in UFA.  Cobb was hardly great but it's highly unlikely that Sterberger is a 4 catch, 40+ yard per game receiver next year.  

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SSG said:

They added a rookie TE with one season of D1 production and lost their only slot WR in UFA.  Cobb was hardly great but it's highly unlikely that Sterberger is a 40+ yard per game receiver next year.  

Cobb started 6 games.

The kid is a 35% of snaps guy at max.

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

They added a rookie TE with one season of D1 production and lost their only slot WR in UFA.  Cobb was hardly great but it's highly unlikely that Sterberger is a 4 catch, 40+ yard per game receiver next year.  

The idea that Cobb was Green Bay's only slot receiver given the state of the game in 2019 is crazy to me. Davante, EQ and Graham would have eaten up a good chunk (if not most) of Cobb's snaps this year even if he was around, and there's three elite physical talents who could take that year 2 jump. You never know what you're gonna get until the year starts but I'd put solid money on this group ending the year being considered one of Rodgers most talented receiving corps. Certainly this is the most talented downfield group he's had since 2011, and since that's all Rodgers wants to throw anyway that's a pretty big deal. 

Nice thread.  Seems like you guys have mentioned a whole bunch of names, many of whom really could be breakout guys.  And who could make a big difference.  

WR: ESB, MVS, Moore have all been mentioned, and are all excellent candidates. Allison is too.  And Kumerow could be in that "could happen" group too.  Doesn't seem likely, but who knows whether even Davis, if healthy, in a new offense, and with Cobb gone as the "short" slot, might get some opportunity to breakout as a guy who gets some scrimmage snaps?  With the other slot candidates all being big, size guys, maybe there will be some packages where they'd like a a shiftier speed guy, and he'll take advantage of some opportunities?  

TE:  I like vegas's pick for Tonyan.  In terms of actual function, I wonder how much difference there really needs to be between "big" WR like ESB might offer in the middle of the field, versus "small" receiving-oriented TE's like Tonyan or Steinberger?  

RB:  Both Jones and Williams have been mentioned.  Never know with health, but either one could take a step, perhaps both.  I wonder if Jones might perhaps get used more extensively as a pass-catcher?  Or if Jones with another year and another camp might improve his pass-blocking enough to be used more frequently for 3rd-down snaps?  

CB:  King and Johnson for sure are huge candidates.  King, it's more health.  

ILB/S:  Burks would certainly have an opportunity to play and help.  Jones would also be in that pool.  

Just seems like there are enough interesting guys with talent and some athleticism, that it almost seems probably that a couple of them ought to step up.