Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

4 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I am going out there some, but I think Elgton Jenkins will be in the starting OL sooner then later, either Linsley goes down or he takes the RG job.  On defense, contract year, Blake Martinez with be a stud.

I wish my job had a contract year I could go all out for and then coast afterwards.

I don't have a point to this, but I think folks like Nick Perry have life figured out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Kevin King.  He's gonna miraculously heal and stay healthy and will be an all-pro corner and everybody will know about the Packer corners (Jaire/Kevin) while neglecting the real reason they thrive, which will be Amos and Savage. 

Would be awesome if he stayed healthy.

Going with MVS.

WOW! Just reading this all of the aforementioned players have a chance to be that break out guy. A lot of young talent listed here. 

RB: Aaron Jones, I'll add Dexter Williams

WR: Moore, MVS, St. Brown

Oline: Jenkins, Madison

TE: Tonyan (Sternberger not mentioned yet but a possibility)

D-line: Adams, (I'll add Keke)

EDGE: Gary, Donnerson

ILB: Burks

CB: King, Jackson, Brown

S: Savage, Jones

P: come on man, even if he breaks out he's not really a player. He's a punter !

Blake Martinez has already broken out so I don't think he should qualify. 

ME, I'm torn between Sternberger on offense and King on defense, but think there will be several from the above list who break out this year. 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

The idea that Cobb was Green Bay's only slot receiver given the state of the game in 2019 is crazy to me. Davante, EQ and Graham would have eaten up a good chunk (if not most) of Cobb's snaps this year even if he was around, and there's three elite physical talents who could take that year 2 jump. You never know what you're gonna get until the year starts but I'd put solid money on this group ending the year being considered one of Rodgers most talented receiving corps. Certainly this is the most talented downfield group he's had since 2011, and since that's all Rodgers wants to throw anyway that's a pretty big deal. 

I'll take that bet for any amount of money given what we seen from this passing attack last year.  Rodgers wasn't throwing the ball away 15 times a game (exaggerated)  because his line was terrible or because he liked too.  He had 1 receiver that played with any sort of consistency.  I have a hard time believing that MVS and EQ are going to go from mediocre college players to difference makers in the NFL in a matter of a year.  That's assuming multiple WRs from the same class develop at a faster rate than any WR we've drafted since probably Greg Jennings. 

This opinion mirrors what was stated almost exactly last year when we added Graham and the rookie WRs.  What we got was a disaster of a passing attack that rarely strung 2 quality quarters together.  Seems like there is always an exaggerated amount of optimism about Packer WRs every single time we draft one.  Whether it was Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis, Malachi Dupre, ect.... 

I need to see a high end passing attack with this personnel before I'm ready to assume we're going to have one of our best offenses ever.  Not to mention we've got one of the greenest coaching staffs in the NFL with a play caller with no quality play calling experience.  

I hope you are right though.  If that's the case (best receiving core in Rodger's career) we should easily cruise to another Super Bowl win with the pieces added on defense and the best offense in the NFL.  

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cobb started 6 games.

The kid is a 35% of snaps guy at max.

He got 5 or more targets in all 9 games he played in.  He was hurt all of last year and he played 45% of the offensive snaps.  He seen over 70% the year prior.  

46 minutes ago, SSG said:

I respect your opinion, but there's a lot that I disagree with here:

I have a hard time believing that MVS and EQ are going to go from mediocre college players to difference makers in the NFL in a matter of a year. 

This is just a weird take in general.  First, neither was a particularly mediocre college player; they both played on teams with significant issues at the QB position which affected production.  EQ put up 58 for 961 yards and 9 TDs as a true sophomore; there were issues with his junior season sure, but the fact that he lead the team with 515 yards receiving should be telling about what the ND passing game was like that year.  Marquez played for USF.  They ran the ball 626 times vs 354 pass attempts his senior season.  He put up 879 yards and 6 TDs despite playing on an offense that rarely played to his strengths.  

They fell in the draft because they had other issues (EQ's family and concerns about his attitude and approach; MVS was a total unknown with no film in a downfield offense.  

That's assuming multiple WRs from the same class develop at a faster rate than any WR we've drafted since probably Greg Jennings. 

It really isn't.  The Packers have had generally deep receiving corps until 2014-2015, so young receivers needed to earn their way onto the field.  Jones, Nelson, Adams, these guys all had multiple starters to surpass before they could see the field.  This is not the case now.  It's not at all unreasonable to expect NFL starter production from a second year wideout, especially as both have already shown the ability to play in an NFL offense.

This opinion mirrors what was stated almost exactly last year when we added Graham and the rookie WRs.  What we got was a disaster of a passing attack that rarely strung 2 quality quarters together.

You don't think the fact that the QB was playing on one leg and struggled badly with ball placement downfield may have had something to do with it?  EQ had at least 200 additional yards left on the field from Rodgers' strange refusal to hit him on time on the deep crosser.  I've watched the All-22 of enough 2018 games to know the rookies ability to gain separation was not the core issue with the offense.

Whether it was Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis, Malachi Dupre, ect.... 

MVS and EQ both had more yards last year than those three players combined have in their career.  This isn't baseless projection; we know what they look like on an NFL field.  That's the difference.  This is extrapolating to the next dot from what we saw last year.  

I hope you are right though.  If that's the case (best receiving core in Rodger's career) we should easily cruise to another Super Bowl win with the pieces added on defense and the best offense in the NFL.  

I mean the Packers didn't cruise to a Super Bowl win in 2011 with a better receiving corps and better defensive pieces.  Same with 2009.  This idea that Rodgers is so good that he's guaranteed a Super Bowl victory in any situation is a take that badly misunderstands the nature of the NFL.  This could easily be the best receiving corps in his career and they could miss the playoffs yet again.  You can have talented players and still struggle, which the Packers were happy to prove last year when they took the Rams to the edge in their house and then lost to the Cards at Lambeau.  Talent is just a small part of the equation; we don't know what the rest of the formula holds until the year starts.

Edited by MrBobGray

There are definitely a lot of contenders-

MVS/EQ- between 1 of these two, I'd hope one can push 800 yards. I have my doubts but it is really necessary. They have talent.

Oren Burks- Super talent who looked like a chicken with his head cut off in college. He was kind of robbed of his rookie year by injury.

King/M Adams- really the same story as Burks but 2 years of injuries. They are both at the prove it or gone in a year or 2 stage

Jackson- easy one, year 1 rookie growing pains. Maybe he'll pick it up

Someone at guard (Turner/Jenkins)