Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

On 5/18/2019 at 1:00 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is probably the most optimistic Packers thread I've ever read. The sheer number of potential breakout players is humongous.

They cannot all break out, but of maybe 25 or so possibilities, several will.

I’d love to hear you give a commencement speech at some school’s graduation.  

“Some of you will go on to great things. Very few of you, actually. The humongous number of graduates means that the odds are toweringly stacked against you.”

source.gif

You're right tho it won’t be everybody listed here in this thread but let’s hope it’s a bunch of them. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I’d love to hear you give a commencement speech at some school’s graduation.  

“Some of you will go on to great things. Very few of you, actually. The humongous number of graduates means that the odds are toweringly stacked against you.”

source.gif

You're right tho it won’t be everybody listed here in this thread but let’s hope it’s a bunch of them. 

Such an underrated movie...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Montravious or Jmon are mine. My dudes through the whole process so nothing but selfish reasons on why they're about to pop off.

I don't know what to think of Montravious .. hope he puts it together.  I think J'mon will come around, but learning another new scheme might hold him back again.  I think he has said his head was swimming last year, and then he also had troubles with the drops.  Lots of talent there, so let's hope it comes together for him.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:00 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is probably the most optimistic Packers thread I've ever read. The sheer number of potential breakout players is humongous.

They cannot all break out, but of maybe 25 or so possibilities, several will. This is such a young team generally, that while there are just a ton of guys that could ascend, there are not more than half a dozen, at most, whose performance is/might be, sliding down (Lewis, Graham, T.Williams, Bulaga, Crosby, maybe A.Rodgers), and of those, 4-5 will be gone at the end of 2019 (leaving Rodgers and, errr, well, you get the idea).

You have to figure that some players won't make the cut, or improve enough, to contribute much, while the descending players have all already proved themselves, so the real differential between risers and fallers isn't as good as 25/6 looks, but it is still pretty good. i guess the real key to the future Packers talent, is just how high the risers rise.

Add all this to the coaching/GM shakeup, and the Packers should be getting better overall, maybe a lot better.

Dude, nobody said all of these guys are going to do it.  The OP asked who you thought might break out.  So every one got to 'nominate' a couple of guys they hoped or thought might breakout.  I don't think anyone here thinks we're even going to have more than a handful at most accomplish that.  Like @squire12 mentioned, every team probably has a list like this, especially if a couple of their drafts really stunk it up.

What I like about this thread is the sheer possibilities there are on this roster.  Yes, after years of the MM complacency we are excited again.  With Gute leaning toward RAS on draft picks- it raises hopes even more on 'breakthrough' players.

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know what to think of Montravious .. hope he puts it together.  I think J'mon will come around, but learning another new scheme might hold him back again.  I think he has said his head was swimming last year, and then he also had troubles with the drops.  Lots of talent there, so let's hope it comes together for him.

Yeah, for sure, they both have some significant hurdles. I think they're both talented enough they just have to put it together.

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Dude, nobody said all of these guys are going to do it.  The OP asked who you thought might break out.  So every one got to 'nominate' a couple of guys they hoped or thought might breakout.  I don't think anyone here thinks we're even going to have more than a handful at most accomplish that.  Like @squire12 mentioned, every team probably has a list like this, especially if a couple of their drafts really stunk it up.

Neither did I.

If you look back earlier in the thread, you will find that my personal choice is Kendall Donnerson.

After seeing how well Tyler Lancaster played, I was curious which of our UDFAs have that kind of potential. 

Bobmcginnfootball has a nice write up on this years prospects. We have a big OT, a skinny but talented QB and four defensive guys who all splashed with measurable and production in college. So we’ll see. A bunch of them look to have a shot again this year. Hopefully it helps round out our draft class.

And if Gute can keep the reputation of the Packers giving the best shot to UDFAs, it won’t hurt so bad when we spend a couple picks to get our guy in the first or second round. 

45 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You think Lacy is pushing 3 bills right now on the scale?

I think his real issue is the bottle. We all know awesome people being ruined by their addictions in our personal lives, but following the Packers you come across that also: Favre, Marcol, Koren Robinson, Johnny Jolly, etc....

Some recover, some don't.

I know that's a bit off topic, but the subject of Lacy always makes me sad. What a career he might have had if he could have taken care of his mind and body better.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I think his real issue is the bottle. We all know awesome people being ruined by their addictions in our personal lives, but following the Packers you come across that also: Favre, Marcol, Koren Robinson, Johnny Jolly, etc....

Some recover, some don't.

I know that's a bit off topic, but the subject of Lacy always makes me sad. What a career he might have had if he could have taken care of his mind and body better.

Really? I had no idea he was a drinker to begin with, much less a problem drinker. 

29 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Really? I had no idea he was a drinker to begin with, much less a problem drinker. 

I think what @blueswedeshoes was alluding to was that it's an issue, but one that hasn't been discussed in public for obvious reasons.

Personally, I think his propensity to eat a buttload of chinese food and sit on his butt doing nothing but videogames is what did it for him.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, boratt said:

After seeing how well Tyler Lancaster played, I was curious which of our UDFAs have that kind of potential. 

Lancaster was an injury away from being draftable last year. We flat out stole him in UDFA IMHO.