Who's your 2019 Breakout Player

This is probably the most optimistic Packers thread I've ever read. The sheer number of potential breakout players is humongous.

They cannot all break out, but of maybe 25 or so possibilities, several will. This is such a young team generally, that while there are just a ton of guys that could ascend, there are not more than half a dozen, at most, whose performance is/might be, sliding down (Lewis, Graham, T.Williams, Bulaga, Crosby, maybe A.Rodgers), and of those, 4-5 will be gone at the end of 2019 (leaving Rodgers and, errr, well, you get the idea).

You have to figure that some players won't make the cut, or improve enough, to contribute much, while the descending players have all already proved themselves, so the real differential between risers and fallers isn't as good as 25/6 looks, but it is still pretty good. i guess the real key to the future Packers talent, is just how high the risers rise.

Add all this to the coaching/GM shakeup, and the Packers should be getting better overall, maybe a lot better.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is probably the most optimistic Packers thread I've ever read. The sheer number of potential breakout players is humongous.

They cannot all break out, but of maybe 25 or so possibilities, several will. This is such a young team generally, that while there are just a ton of guys that could ascend, there are not more than half a dozen, at most, whose performance is/might be, sliding down (Lewis, Graham, T.Williams, Bulaga, Crosby, maybe A.Rodgers), and of those, 4-5 will be gone at the end of 2019 (leaving Rodgers and, errr, well, you get the idea).

You have to figure that some players won't make the cut, or improve enough, to contribute much, while the descending players have all already proved themselves, so the real differential between risers and fallers isn't as good as 25/6 looks, but it is still pretty good. i guess the real key to the future Packers talent, is just how high the risers rise.

Add all this to the coaching/GM shakeup, and the Packers should be getting better overall, maybe a lot better.

Is the supposed humongous number of breakout players that unusual for a team that went 6-9-1 the previous year?   Teams that are bad generally lack production from a high number of players.

Also, probably every team would point to their last several draft classes and UDFA players.  7-8 players from 2-3 draft classes gives you 15 -20 candidates easily for just about every team (if they had that many draft picks each year)

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is the supposed humongous number of breakout players that unusual for a team that went 6-9-1 the previous year?   Teams that are bad generally lack production from a high number of players

The key is youth coupled with the potential to improve.  On it's own, lack of production does not generate enthusiasm for the future.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Also, probably every team would point to their last several draft classes and UDFA players.  7-8 players from 2-3 draft classes gives you 15 -20 candidates easily for just about every team (if they had that many draft picks each year)

True enough, which is partly why I made this comment "the real differential between risers and fallers isn't as good as 25/6 looks". 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, Outpost31 said:

Kevin King.  He's gonna miraculously heal and stay healthy and will be an all-pro corner and everybody will know about the Packer corners (Jaire/Kevin) while neglecting the real reason they thrive, which will be Amos and Savage. 

This is really the only choice IMO.

Kevin King or bust.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:22 AM, Nick_gb said:

Aaron Rodgers

GMTA

This is the one I was thinking of too.  If Aaron can return to MVP form and our defense is as improved and it appears on paper 2019 should be a heck of lot more fun than 2018 was.

Edited by Pugger

9 hours ago, boratt said:

King was the only player not practicing during the minicamp. Not a good sign. 

There’s a chance though, with him, Alexander, Savage and Amos.... there’s a chance the secondary could be elite. 

Oh oh.   This is a shame.   He might be a good player but what good is that if he can't stay on the field?   :/

15 hours ago, boratt said:

King was the only player not practicing during the minicamp. Not a good sign. 

There’s a chance though, with him, Alexander, Savage and Amos.... there’s a chance the secondary could be elite. 

I can bring back the "Secondary to None" signature I was rocking a decade ago.

I’m hoping for Jason Spriggs to all of a sudden become an above average starter. It would make next offseason a lot more comfortable. I really want to be comfortable letting Bulaga go. Plus, Bulaga is probably going to miss time this year too. He usually does.

Edited by boratt

On 5/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, Nick_gb said:

Aaron Rodgers

This indeed! I hope you guys make a run this season. It’s sad to see Rodgers last years dwindle. You guys should be on the right track this season and hope Rodgers gets another ring

• Like 1

Tyler Lancaster is a dark horse. Dude showed some strength and power last year. And has some speed and foot quickness that make you think he has a little pass rush that can be coached out of him too. He might just impress this year.

• Like 1