Trade Ideas

Money

Joe Haden to New York Jets

The New York Jets can be sold on their defense. They've put together such a nice defense but time is running out and they need to use assets that cost little but provide a nice return. Joe Haden gives them a complete secondary with Trumaine Johnson and young safety Jamal Adams. Young interior DL and the addition of CJ Mosley. One edge rusher or two and they have a complete dominant defense. They are being sold on a dominant defense. They have the cap room to go in on Joe Haden for 5 years, $60m w/ $39m guaranteed. So they make this trade knowing it's not a rental and you pick him up for five years and it only costs you some time and 30 spots in draft selection

Joe Haden and PIT 2021 4th for NYJ 2020 3rd

Steelers kick the can down the road but get something back for a guy you can't sign. Won't sign. Let's be real. Get something back for him. You're down a 3rd and the Jets suck so this could be a Raiders type 3rd. 

Haden you can keep him and get the comp pick. But I'd rather sink money into a Patrick Peterson type and then keep shooting our shot at the draft. 

Artie Burns and PIT 2020 4th for Reshad Jones and AZ 2020 5th

Team unhappy with contract. Player unhappy with team. Coaching turnover.

The 5th comes via MIA via AZ in the Josh Rosen deal. Artie Burns is either a convert to strong safety or move on type player. He doesn't have the mentality or frame to put on 20 pounds to play SS. Miami would be a good spot for him. A new scheme to better utilize his skills. And a return to home

Reshad Jones is a pro bowl type player fallen out of favor with the team. He has heavy guarantees so you need to work with him to get a deal and you can get him at a discount from Miami. I'd happily absorb his contract at new terms. A slight haircut but incentive type deal so you could get it back. Heavy guarantees early in the deal but not a crazy signing bonus. 

This is the type of Steelers safety. Fast. Physical. Aggressive. Dominant. Energizer. Force. 

Trading(and adding a draft pick to boot) Haden, the Steelers best CB since Ike Taylor for a 3rd rd pick next year while in a short window, would be asinine.

No paragraph needed to explain why...

• Like 5

Artie Burns to Arizona for a 5th round pick. I think a 5th round pick is probably more than he is worth but considering Patrick Peterson just got suspended for six games they might be somewhat starving at corner and Arizona seems to love former Pittsburgh Steelers players.

2020 5th round pick for Kyle Rudolph.

I know we already traded a third next year but if we could get him for a 5th and I don't know if we actually can they might want more than that but if we could it gives us a legitimate receiving tight end to couple with Vance McDonald should Vance McDonald struggle to get healthy I don't actually think the Steelers will do this trade or even trade anything for Kyle Rudolph but I wouldn't have an issue with it if they did

Guys, there is no way someone is trading more than a conditional 6th/7th for Burns. The best we'd ever get for him is something like that Justin Gilbert trade we did. And Burns wasn't even as highly regarded as a prospect as Gilbert was so I doubt anyone is willing to trade anything for him.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Guys, there is no way someone is trading more than a conditional 6th/7th for Burns. The best we'd ever get for him is something like that Justin Gilbert trade we did. And Burns wasn't even as highly regarded as a prospect as Gilbert was so I doubt anyone is willing to trade anything for him.

You might be right and if we were to get a 6th or 7th I'd be fine with that if we don't get anything and he just gets cut honestly I'm fine with that too

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You might be right and if we were to get a 6th or 7th I'd be fine with that if we don't get anything and he just gets cut honestly I'm fine with that too

Honestly, anything that involves Burns not playing defense anymore is fine with me. If we trade him, if we cut him, if he only plays on ST. Anything is fine.

• Like 1

On 2019-05-17 at 11:21 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Honestly, anything that involves Burns not playing defense anymore is fine with me. If we trade him, if we cut him, if he only plays on ST. Anything is fine.

the problem with him on ST is that he still could play on D if injuries force the issue. The what if he has a few fluke good games? Being a RD1 pick, colbert will keep him and then what? I say trade him for a 7th and move on. It's not worth the risk, just a camp body and thats it.  

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the problem with him on ST is that he still could play on D if injuries force the issue. The what if he has a few fluke good games? Being a RD1 pick, colbert will keep him and then what? I say trade him for a 7th and move on. It's not worth the risk, just a camp body and thats it.  

Or what if those “fluke good games” get his confidence back up and he becomes really good? Plus, he’s a pretty good special teams player. I don’t see a problem with keeping him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Or what if those “fluke good games” get his confidence back up and he becomes really good? Plus, he’s a pretty good special teams player. I don’t see a problem with keeping him.

The only "reason" is to prove a point that he was a mistake. 

I guess personally at this point I just feel like Artie Burns being on the roster is a bigger risk then it is a reward. If he has to play and he continues to play poorly we could be losing games that make a difference as to whether or not we make the playoffs. Now we have some new pieces some different pieces on this team so it's fair to say that any one of these guys could cost us a game. But in the law of averages so to speak conventional wisdom suggests that already burned is being on the field could be the biggest Factor in doing so

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I guess personally at this point I just feel like Artie Burns being on the roster is a bigger risk then it is a reward. If he has to play and he continues to play poorly we could be losing games that make a difference as to whether or not we make the playoffs. Now we have some new pieces some different pieces on this team so it's fair to say that any one of these guys could cost us a game. But in the law of averages so to speak conventional wisdom suggests that already burned is being on the field could be the biggest Factor in doing so

If Burns is the last guy on the depth chart and is forced to play, we'd be screwed. But isn't that true for every last guy on the depth chart? At least Artie could turn into something. How many #5 CBs even have that? It is not going to kill us to have Artie on the roster one more year. So fans want us to cut Artie so the FO can admit they made a mistake? They already didn't pick up his option, isn't that an admission of error? 

Edited by MOSteelers56
  • Like 4

My philosophy would be to wait until training camp cuts.  Every year there are some very good players who become salary cap casualties as a result of some young rookie, 2nd or 3rd year player the team has high hopes for.  This is what Cleveland did when we were able to get Haden. The Steelers are tight on the cap and could restructure some deals, but are still eating AB dead money for 2019. 

Kyle Rudolph would be great to pair build around with Vance, but he wants money.  He is a free agent next year, so you could go after him then. For now, as stated earlier,  I would try to sign a cut vet TE after training camp. Not a fan of the kid they drafted or comfortable with Grimble as the only #2 option (especially with Vance's injury history). They need some veteran help at this position.

Rashen Jones is a very good  player that could be  a training camp cut.  I strongly feel like he may end up a camp cut if the Dolphins cannot trade him and they have someone else to fill in. (As stated above for those reasons). Personally, I would not trade for a 31 year old SS.  Jones or not, I still don't think the Steelers will add at safety because I think that they believe that Edmunds, Davis and Allen will all improve enough to provide starting and some depth.  They still have Dangerfield and believe that Cam and Hilton are versatile enough that they  could provide depth if needed.

Patrick Peterson would have been a sexy trade, but his suspension hurts him and he wants big money as well.  Too much AB dead money and other needs/priorities.  They (AZ) will most likely try to trade him next off season or not re-sign him to an extension and go the way the Steelers did with Lev Bell and take the third round comp  the following season.

Patience can oftentimes net you the results that you want or need.  We got Vance McDonald this way. Teams will take lower round picks for players they are most likely going to cut anyway.  If you really like someone and don't want to be outbid if they are a free agent, you can send a 5th or 6th round pick.