The Batman

Acgott

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I mean...its obviously opinion, but I tend to agree.  Damien is beyond annoying sometimes.  I dont think he sucks...but I'm not his biggest fan.

Damien is the classic lazy next gen throw in and the Batman loyalists will never acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

He’s far more interesting considering he’s Bruce’s son and bcuz who his mother and grandfather are.  Sure, he’s a little prick but Todd was never even remotely as interesting. 

Jason Todd’s greatest role was getting killed by the Joker and DC crapped all over that by bringing him back.  Red Hood is lame for multiple reasons and has just become another cog in the Batman family wheel.  

Also FWIW, Hush was good only because Jim Lee drew it. The story and writing were meh.  

IckyPleasingCrossbill-size_restricted.gi

I would argue that Damien being Bruce's son and Ras' grandson are the only reasons he is even remotely interesting...he doesnt really stand in his own at all.

Like I said...Jason Todd is Batmans biggest failure.  His death changed Bruce.  He returned and used everything Batman taught him against him.

To each their own, but I find Todd far more interesting.  Damien is a brat who has to constantly remind everyone he was trained by the League of Assassins.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I would argue that Damien being Bruce's son and Ras' grandson are the only reasons he is even remotely interesting...he doesnt really stand in his own at all.

Most of the Robins have always been well-mannered, obedient sidekicks.   I guess the fact that Damian is neither makes him standout to me.  He’s a loner like his father but for different reasons.  Batman prefers to work alone bcuz he can do things his way.  Damian prefers to do his own thing bcuz he thinks he’s better than everyone else.  I find that far more interesting than another lapdog Robin.

Batman is the rare comic book character who I really like but never cared for his comics (outside of Night of the Owls and Court of the Owls).  I’ve tried many times over the years to get into them usually after hearing about celebrated runs.  The last time being the recent Batman marries Catwoman arc.  The issue I read where she and Joker were lying down near death having this long-winded conversation was one of the worst issues of any comics I’ve ever read.  It was so bad.  Once again, I was out. 

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Most of the Robins have always been well-mannered, obedient sidekicks.   I guess the fact that Damian is neither makes him standout to me.  He’s a loner like his father but for different reasons.  Batman prefers to work alone bcuz he can do things his way.  Damian prefers to do his own thing bcuz he thinks he’s better than everyone else.  I find that far more interesting than another lapdog Robin.

Batman is the rare comic book character who I really like but never cared for his comics (outside of Night of the Owls and Court of the Owls).  I’ve tried many times over the years to get into them usually after hearing about celebrated runs.  The last time being the recent Batman marries Catwoman arc.  The issue I read where she and Joker were lying down near death having this long-winded conversation was one of the worst issues of any comics I’ve ever read.  It was so bad.  Once again, I was out. 

I'm not a big comic guy anymore either, so I get where you're coming from.  However, between the comics and movies I've seen with both characters, I've much preferred Red Hood outside of the Court of Owls movie with Damien.

Most modern comics suck, with the occasional exception, of course.   

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Most of the Robins have always been well-mannered, obedient sidekicks.

D!ck and Tim were that way. Jason has always gone against the grain. Batman has to constantly admonish him for going too far. Rushing into things, doing all the things that he does as Red Hood, but Batman still had him on a leash 

On 6/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm not a big comic guy anymore either, so I get where you're coming from.  However, between the comics and movies I've seen with both characters, I've much preferred Red Hood outside of the Court of Owls movie with Damien.

Most modern comics suck, with the occasional exception, of course.   

It probably depends on where you cut off modern, because man alive, the vast majority of those older books are unreadable. There's only a handful of books across like five decades that didn't suck.

Sure there's a lot of dreck now-a-days, but there's also usually at least one or two books going that are worth reading, and the writing and artistry is night and day different from the days of only having seven colors. There's just a lot of books. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, thrILL! said:

Batman as a concept has always been way cooler than Batman as a book. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...