The Batman

Acgott

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

So he's auditioning for a part that doesn't exist yet? I hope the script is done and they aren't trying to write around him.

I dont think thats what the quote says. Especially in conjunction with the other reports (up for Penguin or Riddler) I think they just like him. And he is a guy who can do many things as an actor, so they are probably just deciding what he fits best.

Hllywood is littered with stories of people starting out going in for one part, even being cast in that part, but then switched to another because they fit better. 

If we had just heard about the start of this process and that Hill was "already attached" I would worry about it. But they clearly have the ideas laid out, shown by the casting of Gordon.

If we will actually be following TLH, and a longer trajectory of some of the trilogy to hit some of the bigger stories that have been talked about, both The Riddler and Penguin would be important and integral to who this Batman is.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The Dark Knight is littered with Villains.

Joker
Two Face
Scarecrow
Maroni
Lau
Ramirez and Wuertz (dirty cops)
Various gangsters (Chechen, Gambol, Rossi, etc...)

There was only 1 main villain.

Two Face wasnt a bad guy until the final act.

The rest of them were just supporting characters.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

There was only 1 main villain.

The rest of them were just supporting characters.

Just because they were supporting characters means they weren't villains? I feel like this is about to boil down to pointless semantics. Everyone outside of the protagonist and antagonist are supporting characters. 

19 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

But he is still an antagonist of Batman, and Bruce even, just about the entire movie. Nearly as much as the Joker

DP is right, this is going to get muddied up into semantics, but the larger point stands, Hero/villain, Good Guy, Bad Guy, protagonist/antagonist a well written script made into a good film can handle many characters and make them all impactful to the story in their own ways 

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

But he is still an antagonist of Batman, and Bruce even, just about the entire movie. Nearly as much as the Joker

DP is right, this is going to get muddied up into semantics, but the larger point stands, Hero/villain, Good Guy, Bad Guy, protagonist/antagonist a well written script made into a good film can handle many characters and make them all impactful to the story in their own ways 

Harvey was Bruce's rival, sure.  He wasnt a villain till the end.  Remember... You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain?

I agree with you, in general. Good writing and direction can handle a lot of characters, but Batman has the best Rogues gallery of any superhero, and many of them alone can carry their own story. If you have three to five of Batman's top villains, you're likely going to disappoint a lot of fans who may be looking forward to more of a certain villain that ends up taking a backseat to another. There were a lot of fans who were unhappy that scarecrow took a back seat to Ras al Ghul in Batman Begins, and that was done well to.

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Just because they were supporting characters means they weren't villains? I feel like this is about to boil down to pointless semantics. Everyone outside of the protagonist and antagonist are supporting characters. 

My point was it wasnt like it was Spiderman 3 where they essentially had 3 main villains that felt rushed and crammed in.   Aside from Joker and Two Face at the end, the rest of the villains were either cameos (Scarecrow) or throwaway villains.  I said it's fine if they do it that way...but dont bog it down with too many notable villains.

25 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My point was it wasnt like it was Spiderman 3 where they essentially had 3 main villains that felt rushed and crammed in.   Aside from Joker and Two Face at the end, the rest of the villains were either cameos (Scarecrow) or throwaway villains.  I said it's fine if they do it that way...but dont bog it down with too many notable villains.

To expand on this a little, based on the list given of "villains" in TDK (my notes in bold):

Joker (obvious main villain)
Two Face (minor villain)
Scarecrow (cameo. while he is a villain in general, he does not serve a villainous purpose to the movie aside from a throwaway scene. additionally he had already been introduced in batman begins)
Maroni (similar to scarecrow, already introduced, minor scenes)
Lau (may as well be a henchman)
Ramirez and Wuertz (dirty cops) (this is reaching a LOT)
Various gangsters (Chechen, Gambol, Rossi, etc...) (again, basically henchmen in the context of the movie)

The only "villains" above that get any sort of characterization in the movie are Joker and Two Face. It may just be semantics, but I count that as 2 villains for the movie.

5 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

To expand on this a little, based on the list given of "villains" in TDK (my notes in bold):

Joker (obvious main villain)
Two Face (minor villain)
Scarecrow (cameo. while he is a villain in general, he does not serve a villainous purpose to the movie aside from a throwaway scene. additionally he had already been introduced in batman begins)
Maroni (similar to scarecrow, already introduced, minor scenes)
Lau (may as well be a henchman)
Ramirez and Wuertz (dirty cops) (this is reaching a LOT)
Various gangsters (Chechen, Gambol, Rossi, etc...) (again, basically henchmen in the context of the movie)

The only "villains" above that get any sort of characterization in the movie are Joker and Two Face. It may just be semantics, but I count that as 2 villains for the movie.

The point remains that there is 3 major (in the sense of being in Batman's rogues gallery) in the movie and a host of other supporting bad guys.  When they say 3-5 for The Batman, 2 of those could be minor supporting roles, and 1 or 2 could just be a cameo.

You could argue that Joker is actually a supporting character in TDK. If you boil the details away, Harvey Dent is technically the main character. The entire plot revolves around his rise and fall. Batman's entire arc is reactionary to Dent. Joker's entire arc is predicated on Harvey's arc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The point remains that there is 3 major (in the sense of being in Batman's rogues gallery) in the movie and a host of other supporting bad guys.  When they say 3-5 for The Batman, 2 of those could be minor supporting roles, and 1 or 2 could just be a cameo.

My objection is more to @BayRaider's which seemed to imply that current movies don't use enough villains. If you categorize all movies as is being done for TDK and I think Spiderman Homecoming, then there are very few movies that have a single comic book villain in them. What ISN'T good is trying to develop too many villains in one movie. As a cameo or supporting role, fine. It gets too crammed though when you are trying to introduce that many villains and put any sort of focus on all of them.