The Batman

Acgott

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I agree in theory, although to a much less significant extent, those characters are also much harder to make movies about. 

Superman sucks as a movie character.

The Flash sucks as a movie character. 

I don't think Cyborg has more than 100 issues of him as a solo character. I can't even say he sucks as a movie character because no one has attempted to make a story about him that could be adapted to a movie. 

Wonder Woman doesn't even really have any villains that anybody cares about and we just used our"get out of jail free for fighting nazi's card" last movie. She has no interaction with the world like IronmanYou can say the same thing about  or Black Panther to draw a villain from.

Martian Manhunter is a really tough character to make a movie about because his only relevant enemy is white martians, and you need the whole Justice League for that. 

Batman is the only one who is adaptable to a movie and has any decent stories/villains. That's why there's been a billion Batman movies. 

You can say the same thing about Marvel villains outside of Spiderman too, though.  Granted, I haven't been reading comics since the mid to late 80s, but Hulk has]d no villains per say.  Captain America had Red Skull and a bunch of forgettable foes.  None of iron man's villains stand out.

Superman has some decent ones.  Obviously Batman has them.  Aquaman has Black Manta, Wonder Woman had Cheetah, the Flash had Capt Cold and reverse Flash.  It's why I had alweays hoped the Justice League movies would have a 2 movie arc with the Legion of Doom or Injustice League, or something similar.  They don't have to have the intergalactic thrreerat the way the Avengers did.  Give us Lex creating Bizarro in Man of Steel 2, maybe meet Brainiac in the end, then start recruiting more.  use the Batman movies to round out some numbers, plus the others from the solo movies.  That line could absolutely work.

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

You can say the same thing about Marvel villains outside of Spiderman too, though.  Granted, I haven't been reading comics since the mid to late 80s, but Hulk has]d no villains per say.  Captain America had Red Skull and a bunch of forgettable foes.  None of iron man's villains stand out.

Superman has some decent ones.  Obviously Batman has them.  Aquaman has Black Manta, Wonder Woman had Cheetah, the Flash had Capt Cold and reverse Flash.  It's why I had alweays hoped the Justice League movies would have a 2 movie arc with the Legion of Doom or Injustice League, or something similar.  They don't have to have the intergalactic thrreerat the way the Avengers did.  Give us Lex creating Bizarro in Man of Steel 2, maybe meet Brainiac in the end, then start recruiting more.  use the Batman movies to round out some numbers, plus the others from the solo movies.  That line could absolutely work.

Captain America had the Nazi's and Hydra. That was the well you could always go back to. He also had Winter Soldier.

Hulk has several Hulk knockoffs that work as Villains. But we also haven't seen a Hulk standalone film. 

Superman's villains are too powerful for any of the other characters. That's the broken interaction of Justice League. Anybody Superman can fight, Batman can't. Marvel even had some issues of this with Hulk/Thor but did a fantastic job of working around it. Nobody wants to see Superman nerfed that bad. 

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Captain America had the Nazi's and Hydra. That was the well you could always go back to. He also had Winter Soldier.

Hulk has several Hulk knockoffs that work as Villains. But we also haven't seen a Hulk standalone film. 

Superman's villains are too powerful for any of the other characters. That's the broken interaction of Justice League. Anybody Superman can fight, Batman can't. Marvel even had some issues of this with Hulk/Thor but did a fantastic job of working around it. Nobody wants to see Superman nerfed that bad. 

???

First off, Superman's greatest enemy is Lex Luthor...a regular human.

Secondly, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash could absolutely hold their own vs most of Supermans enemies.

Third, while Batman is underpowered, that didnt stop Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and hell....even Iron Man, from helping defeat Loki and Thanos.  And Batman has even held his own vs powerful enemies.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wonder Woman doesn't even really have any villains that anybody cares about and we just used our"get out of jail free for fighting nazi's card" last movie. She has no interaction with the world like Ironman or Black Panther to draw a villain from.

Cheetah and Circe?

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Don't think anybody cares about either.

Youre right, but Cheetah can actually be a fun villain....but she is being played by Kristin Wiig in the movie, so its sure to suck.

Ares can be a cool villain, but he was done so poorly in the first WW.    

DC has such an awesome and deep rogues gallery, and theyve used them so poorly in the DCEU thus far.     

Zod was great IMO.
Lex was horribly done in every way.     Doomsday was largely wasted.
Suicide Squad....Joker sucked and the other villain was just kinda there.
Ares was ruined in WW.
Steppenwolf shouldnt have been the first Justice League villain....but it could have worked if the movie was better.

I will say that Orm/Manta from Aquaman and Sivana from Shazam were done pretty well, but based on what Ive seen and heard about Black Mask from Birds of Prey, I doubt that trend continues

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I agree in theory, although to a much less significant extent, those characters are also much harder to make movies about. 

Superman sucks as a movie character.

The Flash sucks as a movie character. 

I don't think Cyborg has more than 100 issues of him as a solo character. I can't even say he sucks as a movie character because no one has attempted to make a story about him that could be adapted to a movie. 

Wonder Woman doesn't even really have any villains that anybody cares about and we just used our"get out of jail free for fighting nazi's card" last movie. She has no interaction with the world like Ironman or Black Panther to draw a villain from.

Martian Manhunter is a really tough character to make a movie about because his only relevant enemy is white martians, and you need the whole Justice League for that. 

Batman is the only one who is adaptable to a movie and has any decent stories/villains. That's why there's been a billion Batman movies. 

You could do a lot with a stand alone Batman universe IMO, forget about the rest of DC.  If you do a good year 1 batman movie with Pattison, you could eventually bring in **** Grayson and spin that off into a Nightwing movie.  Catwoman is a strong enough character to have her own movie (I know they tried this before but that script sucked).  Azrael would make a cool stand alone movie.  Talia Al Ghul if done right could be a cool stand alone movie.  All of these are probably better characters for movies than the Flash or Green Latern.  

Superman could be fine as a movie character if they did it right. Man of Steel wasn't bad, but it lacked the levity and charm that defines Superman. And beyond that, they need to use Superman villains beyond just Zod and Lex Luthor.

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You could do a lot with a stand alone Batman universe IMO, forget about the rest of DC.  If you do a good year 1 batman movie with Pattison, you could eventually bring in **** Grayson and spin that off into a Nightwing movie.  Catwoman is a strong enough character to have her own movie (I know they tried this before but that script sucked).  Azrael would make a cool stand alone movie.  Talia Al Ghul if done right could be a cool stand alone movie.  All of these are probably better characters for movies than the Flash or Green Latern.  

Thats why Batman needs a big budget TV show.  That's the only way the bat family and his Rogues gallery will ever be done Justice.

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean they basically stole most of Batman for Arrow if you can get past all the teen whiny drama.  

First off, the budget is crap on CW.

Secondly, Arrows rogues gallery isnt close to Batman...and they ruined Ras Al Ghul.

Lastly...no, no I cant get past the whiny teen drama 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...