The Batman

Acgott

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Based on what? Ayer as director only had 1 positively reviewed movie before Suicide Squad.

Well two (Fury, End of Watch - which were his most recent two) but I see your point. (EDIT: nevermind I saw you acknowledged it after) That said, I LOVE Cloverfield (it hasn't held up THAT well, but for what it was at the time, hell yeah). Let Me In was good, the Apes movies were solid and proved he could do big budget even if I find them slightly overrated. I don't disagree with the notion that Ayer's resume wasn't as good though. He may have just been lacking a summer blockbuster. 

Edited by MikeT14

23 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Batman and Robin got absolutely everything wrong.  Every character in that movie got poo'd on.

Yeah, I don’t know why Clooney continues to fall on that grenade even now.  It wasn’t his fault at all.  Given the right material, he would’ve easily been the greatest Bruce Wayne ever.  All blame goes to Joel Schumacher and WB.  

As far as Mr. Freeze, it seems like WB just doesn’t want to veer too far from semi-realistic takes.  That’s why Bane worked.  It’s also why we haven’t seen Clayface.  And considering the backlash to BvS and JL, they’re prolly less likely than ever to delve into characters like Freeze. 

Edited by thrILL!

They're definitely going to broach how this does to dip into a new "DCEU" if it's a runaway hit. Pattinson is a phenomenal actor, he should have gotten oscar noms for Good Times. People freak out because he was in a schlocky movie series a decade ago where most everybody involved in it (except Lautner who, to his credit, took a while before he realized his talents were in TV comedy) has had a pretty damn good career and shown impressive range afterwards. 

Personally I'd prefer an older, not jaded Batman so we could maybe, possibly, please do it have a Bat family series of movies or at least a Tim Drake movie (it's all I want for Christmas) but I'll take this.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:24 PM, MKnight82 said:

It is.  

As for Pattinson, I believe DC's earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to casting. Everybody was saying Gal Gadot would be a trainwreck as Wonder Woman because of how bad she was in the F&F movies, and look how that turned out. Likewise, everybody was up-in-arms about Ben Affleck as Batman when it was first announced, and now he's widely-regarded as the best actor in the DCEU and one of the best Batmen.

Plus he was apparently great in everything non-Twilight-related which, let's be honest, there's no way anyone was gonna walk out of those godawful messes of films unscathed.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:21 AM, kingseanjohn said:

So a new Batman with two villains, "among others". This sounds like Justice League all over again introducing too many characters into a new universe.

This feels like you are oversimplifying this, just to take a jab.

I know Reeves has said that he is not adapting any single comic run, but there were also some heavy rumors that his Batman film could be heavily influenced by The Long Halloween. And while that run feels extremely difficult to adapt into one Film, Reeves saying that he wants to dive deeper into "the worlds greatest detective" as a "noir-driven, mystery heavy" story, then casting the much younger Batman, it feels like this will be heavily influenced by TLH. 

If thats the case, then having many of Batmans Rouges Galley involved (another ages old rumor) makes sense. Which is probably where the "Penguin and Catwoman among others" comes from. Especially if they arent the main villains and he has to lean on Catwoman as the anti-hero for the assist/information, and Penguin as his foray into Gothom's underworld. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if we got a Matches Malone sequence?

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This feels like you are oversimplifying this, just to take a jab.

I know Reeves has said that he is not adapting any single comic run, but there were also some heavy rumors that his Batman film could be heavily influenced by The Long Halloween. And while that run feels extremely difficult to adapt into one Film, Reeves saying that he wants to dive deeper into "the worlds greatest detective" as a "noir-driven, mystery heavy" story, then casting the much younger Batman, it feels like this will be heavily influenced by TLH. 

If thats the case, then having many of Batmans Rouges Galley involved (another ages old rumor) makes sense. Which is probably where the "Penguin and Catwoman among others" comes from. Especially if they arent the main villains and he has to lean on Catwoman as the anti-hero for the assist/information, and Penguin as his foray into Gothom's underworld. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if we got a Matches Malone sequence?

I'd be all for TLH, a detective driven story, and a Matches Malone appearance. I just don't have any faith at all that they'll do it any justice.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, Calvert28 said:

I skimmed that and for some reason thought it meant James Patterson was writing The Batman.

I can't really say this is good or bad because I don't remember him from anywhere besides Harry Potter and Twilight.

He's actually had a couple of decent films lately - where he almost wasn't recognizable.  But he also needed those after being the absolute-most suck of some otherwise decent movies (A Map to the Stars comes to mind where he did his best impersonation of a cardboard box that got to get it on in the back of a limo with Julianne Moore).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KManX89 said:

As for Pattinson, I believe DC's earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to casting. Everybody was saying Gal Gadot would be a trainwreck as Wonder Woman because of how bad she was in the F&F movies, and look how that turned out. Likewise, everybody was up-in-arms about Ben Affleck as Batman when it was first announced, and now he's widely-regarded as the best actor in the DCEU and one of the best Batmen.

Plus he was apparently great in everything non-Twilight-related which, let's be honest, there's no way anyone was gonna walk out of those godawful messes of films unscathed.

Not everything but he was good in High LifeGood Time, probably better than I want to give him credit for in Life but Dane DeHaan playing James Dean haunts me as the worst role I've seen him do and tarnishes my view of that movie... basically, you cast him in a film with a good writer and you're going to get a solid-at-worst performance.  And directors who write their own stuff have been lining up to work with him (he's already signed on to Nolan's next project), he just wrapped Joel Edgerton's take on Henry IV, it was pretty evident when he did Cronenberg's Cosmopolis.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'd be all for TLH, a detective driven story, and a Matches Malone appearance. I just don't have any faith at all that they'll do it any justice.

It really needs to be done considering the vein that they've been taking almost every other major JL character in their standalones so far.  Someone needs to have the battle with their villain that is as much, if not more, mental as it is physical and hand-to-hand or big-ol'-weapons combat.  And that someone should be Batman.  If we're not getting Dr. Fate (and I get why they are slow - if at all - to bring him in because they'd just rather tread lightly around the "magical" stuff the same way Marvel was, and waited a good deal of time to introduce Dr. Strange), Batman is one of the most logical, if not the absolute most logical, to be that hero.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, thrILL! said:

Yeah, I don’t know why Clooney continues to fall on that grenade even now.  It wasn’t his fault at all.  Given the right material, he would’ve easily been the greatest Bruce Wayne ever.  All blame goes to Joel Schumacher and WB.  

As far as Mr. Freeze, it seems like WB just doesn’t want to veer too far from semi-realistic takes.  That’s why Bane worked.  It’s also why we haven’t seen Clayface.  And considering the backlash to BvS and JL, they’re prolly less likely than ever to delve into characters like Freeze. 

Dont agree about Clooney.  Somewhat overrated actor IMO who only fit the playboy Bruce Wayne persona.  Never liked the casting.  Uma Thurman is the only one I think could've been great with better direction and writing.

The failures of BvS and JL had nothing to do with the villains being super powered...they were just poorly done.

WB just doesnt know how to use these characters on the big screen...plus, based on what I've heard, there isn't much love for DC movies at WB. They usually just put them out without much care to make money. Unlike with Marvel, No One Calling the shots actually cares about making these movies great.

Edited by FourThreeMafia

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

I would love to see Mr Freeze on the big screen, as long as they based him on Heart of Ice

Heartofice.jpg200px-Mister_Freeze_BTAS.jpgheartofice.jpg

Take these 22 minutes and expand on it to make it a 2 hour movie and it might be the best Batman movie ever made.  This episode is the gold standard for animated super hero shows.