The Batman

Acgott

35 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Take these 22 minutes and expand on it to make it a 2 hour movie and it might be the best Batman movie ever made.  This episode is the gold standard for animated super hero shows.

I dont disagree that this should be an easy make, but I reject (in general) the idea that these all need to be 2+ hours long. Its only a 22m episode, expanding that to 90-100m should be plenty enough, maybe even too much at that length. Honestly with as rich of a background/Rogues Gallery that Batman has, they could be churning out new ones every 2-2.5 years if they let the right person be in charge, and find good up and coming directors to shoot their visions of different stories.

Which I why I think if WB/DC were smart they would start this all with a Gotham-verse instead of the entire DCEU

I dont know how HBO or someone hasnt gotten the rights to just adapt these iconic story lines to 10-12 episode runs. TLH would be a perfect one, along with Year One, Hush, Knightfall and even some of the Arkham Games stories. And depending which direction they would go, Court of Owls, Death in the Family, and even Death of the Family (if they want to get really down and dirty) could be done, among many other iconic stories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont disagree that this should be an easy make, but I reject (in general) the idea that these all need to be 2+ hours long. Its only a 22m episode, expanding that to 90-100m should be plenty enough, maybe even too much at that length. Honestly with as rich of a background/Rogues Gallery that Batman has, they could be churning out new ones every 2-2.5 years if they let the right person be in charge, and find good up and coming directors to shoot their visions of different stories.

Which I why I think if WB/DC were smart they would start this all with a Gotham-verse instead of the entire DCEU

I dont know how HBO or someone hasnt gotten the rights to just adapt these iconic story lines to 10-12 episode runs. TLH would be a perfect one, along with Year One, Hush, Knightfall and even some of the Arkham Games stories. And depending which direction they would go, Court of Owls, Death in the Family, and even Death of the Family (if they want to get really down and dirty) could be done, among many other iconic stories. 

Completely agreed.  Been saying for years that a big budget Batman show is the best way to go.  You could do 3 or 4 seasons on just the Joker alone.  Even if you did 8 seasons, you could still have alot of stories left to tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Completely agreed.  Been saying for years that a big budget Batman show is the best way to go.  You could do 3 or 4 seasons on just the Joker alone.  Even if you did 8 seasons, you could still have alot of stories left to tell.

Imagine 10 seasons of high budget Batman. You can tell interesting stories with just the sidekicks.

Season 1-Goes solo

Season 2/3/4-**** Grayson

Season 5-Nightwing

Season 6-Jason Todd

Season 7-Jason Todd

Season 8-Tim Drake

Season 9-Tim Drake & Red Hood arrives

Season 10-Damien Wayne

The villains would be even more awesome. Joker, Bane, Scarecrow, Riddler, Ra's Al Ghul, Red Hood, Court of Owls and Hush could all handle a season themselves. Joker, like you said, could handle like 4. Then you still have Freeze, Two Face, Penguin, Zsasz, Mad Hatter, Professor Pyg, Clayface, Manbat, Catwoman, Anarky, Killer Croc, Deathstroke and others who are awesome.

10 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Imagine 10 seasons of high budget Batman. You can tell interesting stories with just the sidekicks.

Season 1-Goes solo

Season 5-Nightwing

Season 6-Jason Todd

Season 7-Jason Todd

Season 8-Tim Drake

Season 10-Damien Wayne

The villains would be even more awesome. Joker, Bane, Scarecrow, Riddler, Ra's Al Ghul, Red Hood, Court of Owls and Hush could all handle a season themselves. Joker, like you said, could handle like 4. Then you still have Freeze, Two Face, Penguin, Zsasz, Mad Hatter, Professor Pyg, Clayface, Manbat, Catwoman, Anarky, Killer Croc, Deathstroke and others who are awesome.

Yeah don’t necessarily rehash the origin story but start him at a point where his first major villains instead of mob bosses and such are introduced 

33 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Yeah don’t necessarily rehash the origin story but start him at a point where his first major villains instead of mob bosses and such are introduced 

I would actually argue that his initial fight of the Mob is very important, and possibly some of the most compelling story Batman has. Its that fight, and the heightened theatrics that are used to squash the mob which brings the Freaks out of the woodwork, and turns those remaining Crime Families to rely on the Rogues Gallery that make all of his stories more relatable. Without the Mob and the GCPD grounding us to the realism of Gotham that we might as well be seeing Green Lantern

20 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would actually argue that his initial fight of the Mob is very important, and possibly some of the most compelling story Batman has. Its that fight, and the heightened theatrics that are used to squash the mob which brings the Freaks out of the woodwork, and turns those remaining Crime Families to rely on the Rogues Gallery that make all of his stories more relatable. Without the Mob and the GCPD grounding us to the realism of Gotham that we might as well be seeing Green Lantern

Never thought of it that way, the end season one on a cliffhanger teasing on if the Rogues gallery ala Batman Begins

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Heartofice.jpg200px-Mister_Freeze_BTAS.jpgheartofice.jpg

Take these 22 minutes and expand on it to make it a 2 hour movie and it might be the best Batman movie ever made.  This episode is the gold standard for animated super hero shows.

Honestly, might be the best 22 mins of TV...ever.  Not hyperbole.  Is perfect in every way.  Voice cast, direction, performance is all spot on.  I was shocked when I got older and found out it was all Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, this was not in cannon before.  Others have tried to use some aspects of it, but never as perfectly as Heart of Ice.  Gimme this on the big screen and I will see it over and over again.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Season 1-Goes solo

Season 5-Nightwing

Season 6-Jason Todd

Season 7-Jason Todd

Season 8-Tim Drake

Season 10-Damien Wayne

You would need to establish Ra's and the league early and often as like a consistent background characters to help push and give levity to the Damien situation. Court of Owls would also have to be late in the game as one of the big things that makes that plot so cool is that Batman is firm in his belief that it doesnt exist, it cant exist, its just a bedtime story, because he is Batman and he knows everything about Gotham; there is no way a secret society could exist without his knowledge for 100s of years influencing everything that happens in Gotham, including the Grayson's deaths and Batman training him. I would wait to introduce Joker until season 3. I think you start with Black Mask and Falcone with side storylines that includes Ra's and the League and Harvey Dent pre-two face. In Season 2 you move onto Penguin taking over the underworld and maybe introduce Catwoman, Zsasz, and Professor Pyg (who is underrated IMO). Season 3 you introduce Joker and Tailia Al Ghul. Maybe introduce Barbara Gordon as well to give Grayson a love interest. Season 4 you can have it remain with Joker as the main antagonist, have the pressure and frustrations of dealing with him push Grayson and Bruce apart. Grayson is an idealist and Bruce is a realist and that difference should shine through and culminate with him leaving for Bloodhaven after being forced to go against his morals by Bruce in order to catch Joker. I think you do Season 5 without a Robin at all, and have Nightwing show up very sparingly. Maybe this lets Barbara start doing her own thing, but again not consistently. Let the show breath with solo Batman and reset  the show a little. This would be a great time to have Bane come in. Batman is alone, at a low, with Nightwing making him second guess his methods. Have Bane break the bat mid-season and Nightwing take over as Batman to finish out the season which would see Bruce return in the finale and them coming together again to beat Bane. Season 6 could see the birth of Two-face after we have a good amount of time to bond with Harvey Dent as the white knight throughout the series. I think you have Jason take the Robin mantle quickly, make it feel rushed for the viewer a little so that it makes sense when he makes mistakes in the field. Have Two-face tee up Jason for Joker to come back and murder at the end of 6. This will cement Two-face as irredeemable. Season 7 can introduce Tim Drake but have Batman be resistant. Tim figures out that Bruce is Batman like halfway through the season but Bruce still spurns him. This would be a good Riddler season as Tim is an excellent foil to him. Freeze could be in this season two, maybe Freeze to start and have Tim help with a solution to the freeze gun and/or the virus for Victor's wife and then flex into the Riddler the second half and have Tim don the Robin colors at the end to help Batman figure out Riddler's machinations. Season 8 can be League heavy, with Red Hood showing up mid season. Have the finale be the reveal of Jason as Hood. Season 9 can be more of an attempted redemption arc. By midseason, we can start to see the bat-family really coming together, and they all help Jason come back to the light (kind of). I think midseason on would be a nice spot for the Court of Owls and seeing Tim decide its time to go his own way. Season 10 can introduce Damien early and have Hush be the first big villain in half one. This would give us a great number of call backs from villains we have seen throughout the decade long run as well as ruin Damien and Bruce's relationship through the ringer just as it starts. By midseason Damien and Bruce are together while unraveling Hush's plan/identity. From there, you close out with a Death of the Family/Endgame merged story and Joker and Batman in this final scene together:

Image result for endgame batman and joker death 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

You would need to establish Ra's and the league early and often as like a consistent background characters to help push and give levity to the Damien situation. Court of Owls would also have to be late in the game as one of the big things that makes that plot so cool is that Batman is firm in his belief that it doesnt exist, it cant exist, its just a bedtime story, because he is Batman and he knows everything about Gotham; there is no way a secret society could exist without his knowledge for 100s of years influencing everything that happens in Gotham, including the Grayson's deaths and Batman training him. I would wait to introduce Joker until season 3. I think you start with Black Mask and Falcone with side storylines that includes Ra's and the League and Harvey Dent pre-two face. In Season 2 you move onto Penguin taking over the underworld and maybe introduce Catwoman, Zsasz, and Professor Pyg (who is underrated IMO). Season 3 you introduce Joker and Tailia Al Ghul. Maybe introduce Barbara Gordon as well to give Grayson a love interest. Season 4 you can have it remain with Joker as the main antagonist, have the pressure and frustrations of dealing with him push Grayson and Bruce apart. Grayson is an idealist and Bruce is a realist and that difference should shine through and culminate with him leaving for Bloodhaven after being forced to go against his morals by Bruce in order to catch Joker. I think you do Season 5 without a Robin at all, and have Nightwing show up very sparingly. Maybe this lets Barbara start doing her own thing, but again not consistently. Let the show breath with solo Batman and reset  the show a little. This would be a great time to have Bane come in. Batman is alone, at a low, with Nightwing making him second guess his methods. Have Bane break the bat mid-season and Nightwing take over as Batman to finish out the season which would see Bruce return in the finale and them coming together again to beat Bane. Season 6 could see the birth of Two-face after we have a good amount of time to bond with Harvey Dent as the white knight throughout the series. I think you have Jason take the Robin mantle quickly, make it feel rushed for the viewer a little so that it makes sense when he makes mistakes in the field. Have Two-face tee up Jason for Joker to come back and murder at the end of 6. This will cement Two-face as irredeemable. Season 7 can introduce Tim Drake but have Batman be resistant. Tim figures out that Bruce is Batman like halfway through the season but Bruce still spurns him. This would be a good Riddler season as Tim is an excellent foil to him. Freeze could be in this season two, maybe Freeze to start and have Tim help with a solution to the freeze gun and/or the virus for Victor's wife and then flex into the Riddler the second half and have Tim don the Robin colors at the end to help Batman figure out Riddler's machinations. Season 8 can be League heavy, with Red Hood showing up mid season. Have the finale be the reveal of Jason as Hood. Season 9 can be more of an attempted redemption arc. By midseason, we can start to see the bat-family really coming together, and they all help Jason come back to the light (kind of). I think midseason on would be a nice spot for the Court of Owls and seeing Tim decide its time to go his own way. Season 10 can introduce Damien early and have Hush be the first big villain in half one. This would give us a great number of call backs from villains we have seen throughout the decade long run as well as ruin Damien and Bruce's relationship through the ringer just as it starts. By midseason Damien and Bruce are together while unraveling Hush's plan/identity. From there, you close out with a Death of the Family/Endgame merged story and Joker and Batman in this final scene together:

Totally agree on everything except I think Jason should get more shine as Robin. I think the Court of Owls in season 9 or 10 in that example would be amazing. The draw about them for me is they are such a well kept secret even Batman himself believes they are a myth. I could probably talk all day about how amazing a high end Batman show with a big budget and a lot of seasons could be. The outline you laid out would be awesome. It still didn't even mention a ton of awesome villains who could pop up at any time or be side threats throughout. Batman's rogues are unbelievable.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Totally agree on everything except I think Jason should get more shine as Robin. I think the Court of Owls in season 9 or 10 in that example would be amazing. The draw about them for me is they are such a well kept secret even Batman himself believes they are a myth. I could probably talk all day about how amazing a high end Batman show with a big budget and a lot of seasons could be. The outline you laid out would be awesome. It still didn't even mention a ton of awesome villains who could pop up at any time or be side threats throughout. Batman's rogues are unbelievable.

I was assuming 22 episode (at least) seasons, so I figured there'd be a lot of villains in and out like Scarecrow, Deathstroke, Croc, Manbat, etc. I think a quick bungle on Bruce's end with Jason as Robin gives it more meaning for both his death and his return as Hood. Just me though. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I was assuming 22 episode (at least) seasons, so I figured there'd be a lot of villains in and out like Scarecrow, Deathstroke, Croc, Manbat, etc. I think a quick bungle on Bruce's end with Jason as Robin gives it more meaning for both his death and his return as Hood. Just me though. 

Fair point. I think Scarecrow deserves a season to himself. His Arkham Knight character was amazing. That could be adapted so well. Deathstroke popping up every now and then would be amazing.

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

If we would ever get this I would much rather the BBC/HBO model 8-13 episodes, however many is needed to tell the story correctly.

The 22ep model is broken and just forces stories to get bloated, leading to open ended threads that never get resolved

Edited by StLunatic88

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The return key is your friend.  ;)

I like how you think, though.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we would ever get this I would much rather the BBC/HBO model 8-13 episodes, however many is needed to tell the story correctly.

The 22ep model is broken and just forces stories to get bloated, leading to open ended threads that never get resolved

you'll miss a lot of great villains with the 8-13 model. Batman has more than enough content to pull from for the 22 ep season.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The return key is your friend.  ;)

I like how you think, though.

I was not expecting to write as much as I did... I got into it lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

you'll miss a lot of great villains with the 8-13 model. Batman has more than enough content to pull from for the 22 ep season.

Yea but we dont need EVERY villain hes ever faced. I think we are talking two very different type of shows. If its getting the 22 eps, then we are looking more at an Arrow/CW version, which I think was one of the major downfalls of Gotham. its just so tempting to throw absolutely everything in there. 

Im talking more of a prestige drama, ala Game of Thrones (sore subject right now, I know), and while we can get alot of the smaller members of the Rouges Gallery as pieces to the puzzle, but focused on the core villains to who The Batman is. (that about a dozen or so) 

Im going to breakdown how I would see those seasons progressing, hopefully later today, to better paint the picture of what Im talking about