The Batman

Acgott

18 hours ago, 43M said:

I can understand not liking the Snyder movies,. but Affleck was actually pretty awesome as Batman.   Most of the issues were with the writing and some of the corny dialogue.     He was easily the most brutal and had the best action of any Batman to date.    He is the closest we've gotten to an Arkhman/Animated Series Batman.

Honest question here, isn't this saying we can't blame him for the writing/dialogue, but then crediting him for the fight choreography and cinematography?

I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not Affleck did a good job. It was a bad Batman regardless, at the end of the day. I find the question of whether or not Affleck did a good acting job of portraying a good Batman a rather pointless one. I don't feel personally like I can separate his acting job from the end result of what we got. But I kind of feel like just as much as the things people disliked for were not Affleck's fault, the things people liked the most weren't really to his credit either (like everyone loves the warehouse scene, myself included, but I don't really know that there was anything specific that Affleck did to make that special.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Enjoying the ride they are taking us on, it’s an interesting version of Batman they are giving us. Young and unhinged, feel like Pattinson pointing out the murkiness of him being a hero is on full display.

There is something about the whole thing that feels a little weird seeing this second trailer, kinda agree with @Deadpulse. But I think like once I’m in the film and we get the twisty story and get to just live it in for a couple hours it should go away.

I want to see more of this version of Gotham and the world of this Batman though. So glad we are getting some ancillary stuff in addition on HBO Max. I want to see some of the takes they might have for other characters, particularly if they will want to stay grounded or get a little weird with it going forward. 
Right now it seems like they’ll stay more towards the realistic side. I’d imagine maybe not the next film but if they get to 3 they’ll do Hush finally.

Hush, Hugo Strange, Black Mask, Madd Hatter, Professor Pyg, Two-Face, Zsasz, Firefly, Court of Owls stuff like that. Do they do another Joker? 

But I wonder if they go like a little further with the are they/aren’t they mystic ones like Deacon Blackfire, Ra’s or Azrael.

Would like an Arkham Asylum story at some point, but he has to put away more villains first. And yeah let’s do Hush finally.

If this gets a trilogy Court of Owls will be one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honest question here, isn't this saying we can't blame him for the writing/dialogue, but then crediting him for the fight choreography and cinematography?

I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not Affleck did a good job. It was a bad Batman regardless, at the end of the day. I find the question of whether or not Affleck did a good acting job of portraying a good Batman a rather pointless one. I don't feel personally like I can separate his acting job from the end result of what we got. But I kind of feel like just as much as the things people disliked for were not Affleck's fault, the things people liked the most weren't really to his credit either (like everyone loves the warehouse scene, myself included, but I don't really know that there was anything specific that Affleck did to make that special.)

Imo he made everything work far better than it had any right to. He was almost universally singled out as a lone positive in BvS despite the thrashing that movie got, and the main complaint was him killing people which is obviously on the writing. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Not everyone could make the choreography look THAT good. 

Im not giving him credit for coming up with it....just saying that his size and demeanor as Batman made him more brutal than any previous Batman.

My main issue with Batfleck was the dialogue and some of the character choices (like him being a killer).   Beyond that, I really liked him AS Batman.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

WB and Snyder mishandled numerous characters by changing certain character traits, like making Superman mopey and Batman a killer.   We wont even get into Lex Luthor and Joker....

I am quite confident that Affleck could pull off an amazing Batman if given the chance.   We saw glimpses of it.    Problem was, he was underdeveloped and poorly written.    If they had developed him similarly to how the MCU built up Iron Man,  I think he and the DCEU as a whole wouldve been more successful 

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

I suspect we'll get introduced to court of owls in this movie to be honest. It also wouldn't surprise me if they are the actual big bad.

They teased it the first trailer. I highly doubt they are big part of this film though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

They teased it the first trailer. I highly doubt they are big part of this film though.

I think there will be hints throughout, and then even more build up in the sequel, with them having hands in the events of the first two movies, and culminating in them being the main antagonists of the 3rd movie.

Pretty sure Matt Reeves has mentioned the Court of Owls numerous times, and even though he hasnt stated they are going to be part of his plans, I think its pretty obvious.     Based on the world he is going for, they are the perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Could see The Riddler trying to sus out The Court or some force he sees but doesn’t know that is the court. Makes sense with a lot going on in the trailers.

Certain imagery makes me think it’s possible.

I’d be fine if it was like @43M said, and there is setup for later payoff. Always thought Court stories should be like prime Batman years, the whole thing with them was that they were the answer to the “my city ” thing or control Bruce had over Gotham. You need some years to build that up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Could see The Riddler trying to sus out The Court or some force he sees but doesn’t know that is the court. Makes sense with a lot going on in the trailers.

Certain imagery makes me think it’s possible.

I’d be fine if it was like @43M said, and there is setup for later payoff. Always thought Court stories should be like prime Batman years, the whole thing with them was that they were the answer to the “my city ” thing or control Bruce had over Gotham. You need some years to build that up.

Yeah, the thing that makes the Court so cool is even Batman in his experienced days think they are a myth. That's why you can't do it in movie one.

• Like 1

I think Reeves is nailing the atmosphere of the movie, but I'm not quite sold on how the story will come together. And while I fully agree that it is very nitpicky of me, some blatant complete suspension of physics here in a few spots. Bad enough that it was noticeable for me, and yes, I know this is a superhero movie, but don't tell me he's just a man and then have him do things that are impossible without super powers.

I do think Farrell might hit a home run as Penguin. Why all the secrecy of not showing Riddler's face?