Fred Smoot thinks the Redskins should cut Josh Norman

turtle28

Fred Smoot is adamant that the Redskins should move on from Josh Norman right now

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/fred-smoot-adamant-redskins-should-move-josh-norman-right-now

But during an appearance on the Redskins Talk podcast, Fred Smoot explained that he thinks the team should cut ties with Norman now. According to the ex-player, No. 24 isn't delivering on the No. 1 cornerback money Washington is paying him.

"You have to ask yourself, 'Where am I expendable?'" Smoot said on the pod. "I'm going to look at that big cap number that Josh Norman has and that's going to make me want to release him."

Earlier this offseason, Jay Gruden was frank and told the media he needs more from Norman. "Superstar status" is how Gruden labeled his expectations for the 31-year-old. 

Smoot, though, doesn't even want to wait another season. 

"You wouldn't go to a used car lot and try to pay new car prices, would you?" he said. "At the end of the day, for what we pay for this guy, we're not getting that return on that investment. I'm sorry, we paid too much for the car, it's time we trade it back in."

Now, the problem with Smoot's idea is that the 'Skins aren't exactly loaded at the position behind Norman, nor are there any useful free agents left on the market. So, if the Burgundy and Gold were to get rid of Norman this offseason, how would they replace him?

Well, Smoot believes Quinton Dunbar was the top CB in 2018 when healthy, and he has high hopes for Fabian Moreau, too. Those two, he thinks, are due for even more progress in 2019.

Then there's a rookie that Smoot is very excited about as well: Jimmy Moreland. 

"He's got a lot of what I like," Smoot said of the Day 3 selection. "He plays with a lot of emotion. He's got elite ball skills... I think he's going to be one of these guys that you find in the seventh round that's going to end up having a 10, 12-year career. This guy could be a Pro Bowler, he has that type of skill set."

I don't agree with Smoot that this is the right time to cut Norman or Vernon Davis for that matter just to add another name. I think the right time to cut them, or in Norman’s case we could have traded him, was at the beginning of free agency. 

Now that we've gone through the top two tiers of free agency and the draft w/o the Redskins signing or drafting a corner high in the draft, I think they've put them in a situation where it's best to keep Norman for one more year and then trade him to a contender that needs a good starting CB next offseason.

The only way I can get on board with trading or cutting Josh Norman after June 1st is if they really really are just going to go with the youth movement and do a rebuild w/ this young defensive talent and continue to build the young talent around Haskins.

If that's the case though, why keep Mason Foster and VD also?

If you're truly doing a youth movement, all 3 need to go.

Edited by turtle28

No, Norman is still elite in off-man coverage. They should cut Manusky. 

NormanSplits.png

In 2015, Norman’s career year, Norman lined up in a press coverage shell on just 34.1% of his snaps. Over the past three seasons with Washington, he has played in that press coverage look on more than 65.0% of plays. 

In 2018, Norman surrendered a 135.6 passer rating when targeted in press-coverage versus a 31.0 passer rating when targeted in off-man coverage.  

Dating back to 2012, cornerbacks with 100-plus off-man look targets, Norman’s forced incompletion percentage of 13.6% ranks 15th out of 107 qualifying cornerbacks. His passer rating of 62.1 when targeted ranks fourth over the same period. 

• Like 1

This season is not the season to cut Norman. If we struggle out of the bus... maybe we can trade Norman before the deadline. Next off-season will be the time to let Norman go, free up a bunch of cap space and give the young guys another year to develop. Then we will actually have the ability to replace him either with a draft pick or free agent. I also still think that Norman can be a very valuable asset if our pass rush plays up to their potential and he can jump routes, if he's actually playing off man of course.

Edited by Umbaugh21

Not only would I NOT cut Norman this season, I would make a play for Patrick Peterson.

His 6 game suspension might be cost affective in this situation.

Arizona is run by Dingle berries, so maybe get him in a trade for a 3rd or less.

This would allow us to cut Norman next yr as well. Or trade...

But it would definitely make us elite on Defense.

Besides, with our Injury history? We'll probably need him after his 6 game suspension.

I would offer our 2020 3rd & WR Josh Doctson. (Who were declining the 5th yr option on...anyways)

And see what happens.

31 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Not only would I NOT cut Norman this season, I would make a play for Patrick Peterson.

His 6 game suspension might be cost affective in this situation.

Arizona is run by Dingle berries, so maybe get him in a trade for a 3rd or less.

This would allow us to cut Norman next yr as well. Or trade...

But it would definitely make us elite on Defense.

Besides, with our Injury history? We'll probably need him after his 6 game suspension.

I would offer our 2020 3rd & WR Josh Doctson. (Who were declining the 5th yr option on...anyways)

And see what happens.

I wouldn't touch that if I was Cardinals, but let's say they do. I don't think we have the cap space to take him on. And if we did? We would need some restructures to really help.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The problem is, Moreau hasn't stepped up, and Dunbar can't stay healthy (I also find him slightly overrated and not a #1). We can't afford to cut him (yet). Not this season. 

Moreau only saw significant playing time one year and he was learning a new position, slot corner.

Dunny had one injury as a starter and he can't stay healthy? Overreact much???

He was our best corner last year when he played and he still has untapped potential as do Moreau, Stroman and Alexander not to mention Moreland.

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I really felt the same about Smoot too. Norman hasn’t lived up to his deal when he’s not being put in a spot to make the most of his talents but he’s not the problem

Actually Norman is part of the problem if he's our 3rd highest paid player and playing at a back up level. His cap space could have been spread around the roster if we had traded him in March. I agree w/ Mknight though, trading him or cutting him now makes no sense.

IMO this should be Norman’s last season in DC unless he plays at a near All-Pro level.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Moreau only saw significant playing time one year and he was learning a new position, slot corner.

Dunny had one injury as a starter and he can't stay healthy? Overreact much???

He was our best corner last year when he played and he still has untapped potential as do Moreau, Stroman and Alexander not to mention Moreland.

LOL, the only overreaction is people like you thinking he can be a #1. And yes, he hasn't played a full season yet. And again, potential doesn't mean proven. So until Moreau proves, why get rid of Norman?

35 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

LOL, the only overreaction is people like you thinking he can be a #1. And yes, he hasn't played a full season yet. And again, potential doesn't mean proven. So until Moreau proves, why get rid of Norman?

Never said he was a number 1, I said before his Shin injury he was our best corner. It's not like Norman has played like a # Since he got paid anyways... So would we really be missing much?

As I said in my OP and one since then, I wouldn't cut or trade Norman now. If they were going to do it, they should have traded him in March for a mid-round pick to a contender that needed corner help, like Kansas City would have been a good trade partner.

The only reason to do it now would be to just shed cap space but for what?

There's not a guy out there other than Eric Berry who would cost a significant amount and make a real defense on our team that I see. I'm actually surprised we haven't signed Berry bc Brice wanted to draft him over Tent Williams but Shanahan got his way on that one.

Also, as I said I guess if you just wanted to go with a true rebuild/youth movement w/ Haskins as the starter and mostly a 20 something team around him, you’d trade Norman and roll with the young guys so they get more playing time and can develop.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not gonna go too much into this since he pimped my guy Moreland, but I will say that Norman should stay...for now.

Also, @turtle28, please don't quote the entire article. Remember, we only use snippets.

Yeah, I tried but was mostly quotes so I found myself quoting 3/4 of it.

• Like 1