Fred Smoot thinks the Redskins should cut Josh Norman

turtle28

I do think we should have traded him.  

I am very comfortable with Dunbar.  But without Fuller and Moreau looking pretty average, we essentially are left with putting average players (at this point) at 2 corner spots.  That is one too many without acquiring a true replacement.  This is part of why I want to see DRC cut.  We need to really focus on getting the youth reps so we know what we have as I can't imagine holding onto norman in 2020.  

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I do think we should have traded him.  

I am very comfortable with Dunbar.  But without Fuller and Moreau looking pretty average, we essentially are left with putting average players (at this point) at 2 corner spots.  That is one too many without acquiring a true replacement.  This is part of why I want to see DRC cut.  We need to really focus on getting the youth reps so we know what we have as I can't imagine holding onto norman in 2020.  

Who knows what will happen with Moreau, but he did flash at times last year too and he was new to the slot. Fuller and many corners take pretty big jumps from their first years staring to their 2nd. I know Moreau is going into his 3rd year but he barley played on defense as a rookie, he was really just a special teams guy.

I would have been entirely comfortable with them trading Norman in March for a mid-round pick and having Moreau start opposite Dunny w/ Alexander, Stroman, Danny Johnson and now Moreland battling it out to be the #3 corner. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I know Moreau is going into his 3rd year but he barley played on defense as a rookie, he was really just a special teams guy.

He also was recovering from an injury that occurred late in his final season/during the lead up (I don't recall which) and that limited his rookie practice time going into OTAs, camp, and preseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

He also was recovering from an injury that occurred late in his final season/during the lead up (I don't recall which) and that limited his rookie practice time going into OTAs, camp, and preseason.

He tore his pec working out for the combine or after the combine. I think before the combine.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually Norman is part of the problem if he's our 3rd highest paid player and playing at a back up level. His cap space could have been spread around the roster if we had traded him in March. I agree w/ Mknight though, trading him or cutting him now makes no sense.

IMO this should be Norman’s last season in DC unless he plays at a near All-Pro level.

I think he came here before we had the tools around him to stay at that level. He’s a hard worker. He was a start more to where he needed to be that last piece type player. I like him here with Collins and the young talent

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He tore his pec working out for the combine or after the combine. I think before the combine.

That sounds right. I think that also explains why he didn't get much playing time his rookie season. That and he was the fourth corner behind Norman, Dunbar, and Fuller.

Hopefully he takes a big step forward this season. Same with Norman, to be honest.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Who knows what will happen with Moreau, but he did flash at times last year too and he was new to the slot. Fuller and many corners take pretty big jumps from their first years staring to their 2nd. I know Moreau is going into his 3rd year but he barley played on defense as a rookie, he was really just a special teams guy.

I would have been entirely comfortable with them trading Norman in March for a mid-round pick and having Moreau start opposite Dunny w/ Alexander, Stroman, Danny Johnson and now Moreland battling it out to be the #3 corner. 

Good point in regards to Moreau.    

12 hours ago, MosEisley said:

You cut him after this season if he doesn't take a pay cut.

Josh Normans' contract

Yeah, he’s making $14.5 million this year and that bumps up to $15.5 again next season.

I’d like to see them trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick, even if they had to pay part of his salary next year to get the deal done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Woz said:

Doing things like this will not discourage others from saying he should be cut:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/11/josh-norman-runs-with-the-bulls/

lol that must be some contract violation. There is not only an injury risk involved but you might actually die doing stuff like this if you are not experienced.

Edited by SBLIII

So, when it was just "running with the bulls," I thought: while I get the idea (Hemmingway masculinity ideal thing), that's kind of stupid if your livelihood depends on being in perfect health.

Jumping over bulls? What are you doing? Seriously, what are you thinking?