Ravens to sign LB Shane Ray (One-year deal)

RaidersAreOne

Ray is the poster child for both injury risk decline (duh) but also the problem in projecting college play to the NFL.   Everything on tape said he had it all - explosion, motor, hand fighting.   He wasn’t great vs. the run.  

His skill metrics raised a lot of Q’s - more than the 4.64 40 (for his size it wasn’t elite), the 7.71 3-cone was astoundingly slow for supposed a guy with great explosion and change of direction.   Even before his NFL injuries the explosion and suddenness ppl protected wasn’t there.   While Ware took away his PT to just a rotation guy in 2015-16 he was outplayed by Shaq Barrett the last 2+ seasons even when healthy. 

I won’t ding Elway for this pick the main reason he fell was a toe injury then weed arrest pre-draft.   Tons of teams had him ranked as a top 25 guy even after that.   But it just didn’t work out.   It’s a total low risk signing by BAL but seems more like a missed pick either way.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Everyone was so high on this guy, I just didn't get it but I didn't expect him to flame out this hard

Injuries have really slowed him down. He has a very nice season 3 years ago with 8 sacks but since then injuries have derailed any sort of momentum or consistent playing time. Shaq Barrett ate his playing time on the field as the 3rd rotational rusher and Ray was relegated to a minimal role.

I dont ever see him being a significant contributor, be he could be fine as a rotational EDGE on passing downs.

Even in his  second season, it was a lot of clean up sacks where he benefitted from peak Von. Most of his clean wins as a pass rusher came lining up inside in our NASCAR package. Liability against the run and really just an effort rusher. There were some vague reports that they didn't really like him as a locker room presence either, though I wonder how much of that was just frustration with injuries and knowing he wouldn't be re-signed. 

• Like 1