Overrated OL/ OL Discussion

turtle28

On 5/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, turtle28 said:

Nah, Erek Flowers takes that crown for anyone thinking he’s going to be the answer at LG

With the drafting of both Martin and Pierschbacher, Flowers might not make the opening day roster. Yes, Washington would have to eat $1.5M, but he's a bum. Leave his roster spot open for someone who could conceivably contribute to the team.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, Woz said:

With the drafting of both Martin and Pierschbacher, Flowers might not make the opening day roster. Yes, Washington would have to eat $1.5M, but he's a bum. Leave his roster spot open for someone who could conceivably contribute to the team.

Bergstrom?

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:
On 5/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, Woz said:

Bergstrom?

... I thought I said they should leave his "spot open for someone who could conceivably contribute to the team." :D

In all seriousness, if they went with Bergstrom over Flowers, it would be a choice of "willingness over talent." In this case, I'd agree with it, but Bergstrom is no great shakes. Still, I'd be okay with that decision.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, Woz said:

... I thought I said they should leave his "spot open for someone who could conceivably contribute to the team." :D

In all seriousness, if they went with Bergstrom over Flowers, it would be a choice of "willingness over talent." In this case, I'd agree with it, but Bergstrom is no great shakes. Still, I'd be okay with that decision.

Haha 😂 I was joking about Bergstrom being kept over Flowers but my guess is both make it. I think our OL depth chart  is this:

LT: TWill, Christian

LG: Flowers, Martin

C: Roullier, Bergstrom

RG: Scherff, Ross P

RT: Moses

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Haha 😂 I was joking about Bergstrom being kept over Flowers but my guess is both make it. I think our OL depth chart  is this:

LT: TWill, Christian

LG: Flowers, Martin

C: Roullier, Bergstrom

RG: Scherff, Ross P

RT: Moses

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Pierschbacher a center at Alabama? Does it make any sense to keep Bergstrom and Ross then?

Keeping Flowers is a fool's game. He's a waste of a roster spot.

• Like 1

Just now, Woz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Pierschbacher a center at Alabama? Does it make any sense to keep Bergstrom and Ross then?

Thinking Flowers has a “wow us or your gone” type deal. A bunch of draft capital was spent on IOL (thank the heavens). In the end the 1.5 mil is worth a shot

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

Thinking Flowers has a “wow us or your gone” type deal. A bunch of draft capital was spent on IOL (thank the heavens). In the end the 1.5 mil is worth a shot

I am not sure Flowers was worth a $1.5m total contract, much less one that had $1.5m guaranteed.

He's got the skills, but zero motivation. Any time invested in him will be effectively wasted. Give one of the UDFAs his chances. Yeah, they probably won't pan out and they may not have his raw athleticism, but at least they'll try.

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

He played both. Ross P was a guard before he moved to center last year. Bergstrom has played both C & G too, but I would figure that Gruden and Callahan would want the vet center to be Roullier’s back up over a rookie but I could be wrong.

I don't agree that keeping Flowers is fools gold. I'm not going to sit here and say the guy is good, but given our injury history along our OL the last two years and if Flowers can prove he can transition to guard this offseason, he would have the ability to be able to play the Nsekhe role for us and be able to play every OL position but center like Nsekhe did for us from 2015-2018.

Now, I don't think Flowers has proven he can be as good as Nsekhe but then again, Nsekhe was developed by Callahan for 3 years, we haven't seen if Callahan can do the same with Flowers. 

If Flowers can make that switch to OG and at least be serviceable, thats valuable bc of his versatility.

Edited by turtle28

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He played both. Ross P was a guard before he moved to center last year. Bergstrom has played both C & G too, but I would figure that Gruden and Callahan would want the vet center to be Roullier’s back up over a rookie but I could be wrong.

I don't agree that keeping Flowers is fools gold. I'm not going to sit here and say the guy is good, but given our injury history along our OL the last two years and if Flowers can prove he can transition to guard this offseason, he would have the ability to be able to play the Nsekhe role for us and be able to play every OL position but center like Nsekhe did for us from 2015-2018.

Now, I don't think Flowers has proven he can be as good as Nsekhe but then again, Nsekhe was developed by Callahan for 3 years, we haven't seen if Callahan can do the same with Flowers. 

If Flowers can make that switch to OG and at least be serviceable, thats valuable bc of his versatility.

Two separate teams thought the way you are thinking. They wiped their hands of him and moved on.

2 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

A bunch of draft capital? A 4th and a 5th round pick is not a lot of draft capital. Most of the time guys drafted in those rounds are expected to be depth as young players that hopefully develops into a starter in a few years.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

They didn't have Callahan and they didn't try him at guard. 

The Giants did try him at guard, and while I think Bill Callahan is a quality OL coach, you cannot coach up willingness and desire.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

The Giants did try him at guard, and while I think Bill Callahan is a quality OL coach, you cannot coach up willingness and desire.

I didn't know the giants tried him at guard, I thought he only played LT & then RT this last year after they signed Solder.

Also, that’s why I keep saying ”IF” Woz and I have since we signed him. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, I'm just saying the guy is going to get his chance and there's a chance he does find the willingness and desire - especially playing next to Trent and for Callahan - that he seemed to have lost while playing for the Giants.

Now, if it were up to me we would have never sighed him. I thought there were other true guards out there that we could of signed that were actually cheaper like Fluker, Spain, Sweezy or Max Garcia.

Edited by turtle28