Are we really as bad as people think?

BZski

I mean I know we all can get blinded by our Honolulu Blue and silver glasses but to say Lions will have a top 5 pick next year I think is crazy. That being said most experts are saying we are going to suck. What am I missing here as I think we are a 9-10 win team.

10 hours ago, BZski said:

I mean I know we all can get blinded by our Honolulu Blue and silver glasses but to say Lions will have a top 5 pick next year I think is crazy. That being said most experts are saying we are going to suck. What am I missing here as I think we are a 9-10 win team.

Just spit balling some reasons people are saying that. I don't want to put to much thought into it.

1. QB with big contract coming off worst year of his career imo, now has another new coordinator and a new offense that he needs to learn. He also has some very justifiable off field distractions...

2. Maybe a stud RB? Maybe an injury prone RB? Who knows? Nothing to exciting behind him in case he does get hurt. 

3. Bad offensive line last year, didn't add anything new to it this off season. Why would anyone expect it to get better?

4. Rumors of players not buying in to the new coaching regime. 

5. Former NE assistants don't have a track record of success in the NFL. The coaching staff didn't impress me last season. 

6. Defense was beyond inconsistent last year. 

7. Holes that they had last year, still seem to be there.

8. Draft that most people consider to be one of the worst in the NFL. TE at #8 overall.

9. Marvin Jones coming off a down year. KG looks good when he's on but he vanishes at times. A injury prone former NE WR behind them and not much else. 

10. Probably going to have to deal with curse of Hard Knocks.

11. 27 years since a playoff win...

I'm sure others can add to this list, but I think the doubters have pretty solid footing to base their opinions on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Just spit balling some reasons people are saying that. I don't want to put to much thought into it.

1. QB with big contract coming off worst year of his career imo, now has another new coordinator and a new offense that he needs to learn. He also has some very justifiable off field distractions...

2. Maybe a stud RB? Maybe an injury prone RB? Who knows? Nothing to exciting behind him in case he does get hurt. 

3. Bad offensive line last year, didn't add anything new to it this off season. Why would anyone expect it to get better?

4. Rumors of players not buying in to the new coaching regime. 

5. Former NE assistants don't have a track record of success in the NFL. The coaching staff didn't impress me last season. 

6. Defense was beyond inconsistent last year. 

7. Holes that they had last year, still seem to be there.

8. Draft that most people consider to be one of the worst in the NFL. TE at #8 overall.

9. Marvin Jones coming off a down year. KG looks good when he's on but he vanishes at times. A injury prone former NE WR behind them and not much else. 

10. Probably going to have to deal with curse of Hard Knocks.

11. 27 years since a playoff win...

I'm sure others can add to this list, but I think the doubters have pretty solid footing to base their opinions on.

Simply put; the media will always feel this way about the team until the team starts winning regularly and meaningfully.

It is not as if we have built up any good will or benefit of the doubt.

I don't think the Lions have the kind of talent level where you can say they're over .500 for sure. As usual they've got a lot of "if this guy can take a step up." And as usual they're relying on their superior smarts and planning to make up for a lack of premium talent. It's not impossible but based on their track record I can't imagine why anyone would just expect them to be good

4 hours ago, detroitroar said:

Can someone explain how last year was the worst of Staffords career? I've seen that twice now and I'm perplexed. 

I’m guessing because he didn’t throw for 4K yards and only had 21 TDS.  It was his second worst year rating wise aside from his injury years early on.  He also looked semi lost but that could be because we traded his favorite target, shuffled through slot WRs after that and Marvin was hurt for a while.  

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’m guessing because he didn’t throw for 4K yards and only had 21 TDS.  It was his second worst year rating wise aside from his injury years early on.  He also looked semi lost but that could be because we traded his favorite target, shuffled through slot WRs after that and Marvin was hurt for a while.  

I thought he was average at worst.

People act like he had an Eli-like season with 20 ints. 

He was absolutely fantastic when our oline and run game were solid.

He was also handcuffed by our play calling....for good reason to an extent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And had zero help at TE while our starting RB was battling injuries and his replacement was generating less than 3.0 YPC.

4 hours ago, detroitroar said:

Yeah. Both of those plays were pretty great.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, detroitroar said:

I think its a few reasons,

1. His statistics were middle of the road.

2. Watching the offence was boring and pretty predictable last year. 

Lets face it. Fans are driven by numbers and the Lions offence didn’t impress last year. Frankly I thought the play calling really failed to take advantage of Stanford’s abilities.

Few concerns for me going into the season. Oline, specifically RG. Having a bad or average RG will slow our run game down, and passing game more than adding these two TE's will help.  People are slotting both as upgrades and if the Oline isn't good, then both will likely be downgrades. I'm the type of guy though that would of looked for two new guards and moved Ragnow to C to really try and make a juggernaut of a line. 

Consistent pressure from the outside and inside. Now, I know people will point to Flowers, and Okwara and Bryant as solid's and they are, but, they aren't enough imo. Lions needed someone to start over Okwara, because, he did get 7 sacks or whatever but still overall didn't generate much pressure. He got home when the heat was on the QB but not often did he apply real pressure to the QB and make them adjust, maybe Flowers is enough, to change all that. But me personally I wanted new players on the outside, and 1 new on the inside the could generate pressure on the QB. 

Questions on the other side of Slay. Not saying Coleman can't hold it down as the number 2 guy but, idk, now I'm essentially expecting it based off the money he's been paid and how the Lions didn't address it seriously in the draft or through others in FA. 

Matthew Stafford. Idk, 2011 has been a long time now. I now ok/average when at times looking pretty good, but Lions need 2011 Stafford to come out if they wanna win the division/playoff games. 

LB, we assume Lions are better through the draft but IDK, real question mark honestly with no track record and a lot of faith/assumption. 

WR Depth, Idk whats up with Jones, hopefully he's fine and back on the team. Outside the first three on the depth chart though I think things get sketchy and the chances all three are healthy all 16 games isn't likely. 

Edited by SimbaWho

16 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Few concerns for me going into the season. Oline, specifically RG. Having a bad or average RG will slow our run game down, and passing game more than adding these two TE's will help.  People are slotting both as upgrades and if the Oline isn't good, then both will likely be downgrades. I'm the type of guy though that would of looked for two new guards and moved Ragnow to C to really try and make a juggernaut of a line. 

Consistent pressure from the outside and inside. Now, I know people will point to Flowers, and Okwara and Bryant as solid's and they are, but, they aren't enough imo. Lions needed someone to start over Okwara, because, he did get 7 sacks or whatever but still overall didn't generate much pressure. He got home when the heat was on the QB but not often did he apply real pressure to the QB and make them adjust, maybe Flowers is enough, to change all that. But me personally I wanted new players on the outside, and 1 new on the inside the could generate pressure on the QB. 

Questions on the other side of Slay. Not saying Coleman can't hold it down as the number 2 guy but, idk, now I'm essentially expecting it based off the money he's been paid and how the Lions didn't address it seriously in the draft or through others in FA. 

Matthew Stafford. Idk, 2011 has been a long time now. I now ok/average when at times looking pretty good, but Lions need 2011 Stafford to come out if they wanna win the division/playoff games. 

LB, we assume Lions are better through the draft but IDK, real question mark honestly with no track record and a lot of faith/assumption. 

WR Depth, Idk whats up with Jones, hopefully he's fine and back on the team. Outside the first three on the depth chart though I think things get sketchy and the chances all three are healthy all 16 games isn't likely. 

I saw they moved some guys around on the ol idk if it's gonna stick but they did have ragnow at center and glas at rg..