2019 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

Yea, get ready for the "Soft Tissue" barrage. Last year the team played it super safe with all injuries. In part due to playing in the HOF game, but also because of so many players being ravaged in recent years. It seemed to work well with limited guys falling out onto IR in 2018.

Especially with the Rookies, you just want them to continue to assimilate and grasp the pro game at this point. We aren't looking for any superheroes during OTAs.

We slow cooked Mark Andrews super hard last year, to the point all the dumb fans were already screaming "bust". It payed off though. He didn't pick up anything serious, and later emerged when Hayden did fall out. 

The more I look into him the more I'm excited about Justice Hill. Love the fact that he he's coming from that Big XII spread offense world and knows how to run out of the shotgun. I could see him and Lamar forming a devastating read-option combo, and really use his speed to pop off against defenses tired from chasing Lamar and absorbing the physicality Ingram and Gus offer.

If we're gonna have a guy in the OROY hunt I think it's gonna be him as a Kamara-lite, particularly since we're probably gonna bring Hollywood along a little slowly coming off of injury. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

You gotta imagine we see very little of everyone sans Hollywood, Mcsorely, and possibly Ferg. I just know we're gonna find ways to work that dual Qb confusion into our regular offense and Lamar is gonna throw some stupid bombs on people. Ferg should be in rotation if Williams doesnt show out but I feel we all know he will. 

The runningback competition will be quite interesting as those guys have to compete with the WR/TE group about an extra spot. Dixon could be the odd man out due to previous injuries and suspensions, but if he lost the bad weight he carried last season, he could be even more explosive and our RB core would be quite deep.

Hills amount of snap counts would most likely be influenced by his ability to catch the ball.

• Like 1

With Jackson at the helm I’m excited what Brown and Boykin can do I think Jackson will improve as a passer maybe not by leaps and bounds but he will also throw it to everyone in my opinion giving people in opportunity to show what they can do

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

97 Speed for Marquise Brown. He's the 4th ranked Rookie overall. I'm sure Madden will be trash, and a copy paste version of the same sad game it has been for years. At least we'll have some speed on offense though... Jackson, Hill, Brown, Andrews.

Edited by DreamKid

Sometimes I forget Boykin did this, and that EDC traded up to secure him. We'll see how he works out, but as far as gambles go it's a strong shot to take by DeCosta. Smart kid, strong catch rate/hands, freak athleticism, and a clear dedication to technical improvement. Let's hope David Culley and our CBs bring everything out of him.

• Like 2

This would be awesome, if I put more emphasis on players athleticism in shorts.

Most great players are great athletes, but it takes so much more to succeed, especially at the WR position, so I hope Boyking being a good character and being willing to learn is the thing that distinguish him from other similar prospects.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:58 AM, Danand said:

This would be awesome, if I put more emphasis on players athleticism in shorts.

I think that's fair, and the explosiveness measurements were definitely something that seemed greater than what he showed on the field.

BUT, if you are going to be the guy who places more emphasis on the field, then you should LOVE Marquise Brown. We literally didn't see anything from him in shorts. The tape is/was just so good that we had to take him. He's honestly the best WR I've seen on the field in college in years. I think you have to go back to Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans 5+ years ago for a WR at his level during college*.

*Obviously not factoring in pro career development/regression

Edited by wackywabbit

20 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I think that's fair, and the explosiveness measurements were definitely something that seemed greater than what he showed on the field.

BUT, if you are going to be the guy who places more emphasis on the field, then you should LOVE Marquise Brown. We literally didn't see anything from him in shorts. The tape is/was just so good that we had to take him. He's honestly the best WR I've seen on the field in college in years. I think you have to go back to Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans 5+ years ago for a WR at his level during college*.

*Obviously not factoring in pro career development/regression

I think Marquise Browns speed/athleticism and overall ability is real. I am confident his presence alone will be a factor for the offense - unless he pulls a John Ross.

We didn't go that route, but I thougt Hakeem Butler looked more explosive in pads and looked as a better athlete. Boykin can improve a lot, and I hope he do, because when it clicks for him he get up to speed fast and break on his routes with a suddeness that makes it difficult for cornerbacks to catch up - especially as he is a great hands catcher.