2019 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

3 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

One thing that struck me was the fact that Marquise Brown actually “looks” as fast as everyone says he is... Everyone says Perriman was fast but I never actually saw it in his running... Hollywood actually looks faster than I’d imagined and my expectations were high... In the last two years we drafted my favorite three offensive prospects Jackson.. Brown... and hill... I never imagined any of them would be available at our picks... Hill lasting to the 4th round is amazing to me but after his down year I guess I could understand it... But I watched everyone’s film of the top running backs... I don’t see how Hill wasn’t the top RB prospect in this draft... But either way I’m happy we got him... 

His bulk numbers were lower, but his rate stats were essentially the same (higher YPC).

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justice-hill?id=32194849-4c32-6301-179f-7d7fb01289c2

Hill was a first-team All-Big 12 pick again in 2018 though his numbers were significantly lower (158-930-5.9, nine TD rushing; 13-68-5.2 receiving) due to getting fewer carries and missing two games due to a rib injury. He also chose to sit out the team's bowl game to stay healthy and prepare for the NFL Draft.

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

His bulk numbers were lower, but his rate stats were essentially the same (higher YPC).

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justice-hill?id=32194849-4c32-6301-179f-7d7fb01289c2

After his previous season a lot of analysts had him as a dark horse heisman candidate... So in essence he had a down year... Me personally I’m glad he was overlooked it allowed him to fall to us... on a side note I’m also happy Hollywood was unable to workout at the combine because had he been able I think there is zero chance he falls to us either 

14 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

One thing that struck me was the fact that Marquise Brown actually “looks” as fast as everyone says he is... Everyone says Perriman was fast but I never actually saw it in his running... Hollywood actually looks faster than I’d imagined and my expectations were high... In the last two years we drafted my favorite three offensive prospects Jackson.. Brown... and hill... I never imagined any of them would be available at our picks... Hill lasting to the 4th round is amazing to me but after his down year I guess I could understand it... But I watched everyone’s film of the top running backs... I don’t see how Hill wasn’t the top RB prospect in this draft... But either way I’m happy we got him... 

I can easily see why. This post isn’t to say that Hill isn’t/wasn’t a quality RB option. But he reminds me of a poor man’s Reggie Bush. He has great physical tools and is a quality receiving threat out of the backfield, I also think he does a fantastic job with RPO handoffs knowing. That said his RB vision is average and his 1on1 ability leaves a lot to be desired. Too often when watching his tape, are there quickness opportunities against LBers where he’s 1on1 and if he beats his man he’s got another 3-4 yards easily and he ends up form tackled to the ground. Making guys miss is a skill, it’s not just athleticism. Hill will do well, especially with an elite runner like Jackson pulling away attention and behind a solid RB OL. It will enable his athleticism to really shine through.

That said, I can’t put Hill on the same level as Bryce Love. I think both players had a down year looking at the tape (Hill’s efficiency benefited from the new QB being a rushing threat), but when looking at the 2017 tape I don’t even think this would be close. I’m still amazed as to how Bryce Love destroyed that Notre Dame defense with all their terrific gap integrity and strength at the POA, yet he beat them with utilizing his awesome burst, terrific quickness against 1on1 oops, and elite RB vision.

Outside of Saquan Barkley and Nick Chubb, I cant see a better back... assuming Love can get back to that level of health.

The one other great thing with Hill is that he’s never been asked to foot a heavy load. Thus his body should be quite fresh.

Edited by diamondbull424

Aye I totally agree about Love but I factored in the overall clean bill of health of Hill... But had it not been for the injury with love I think he definitely had proven himself to be the best overall back... but even with him pundits didn’t have him as highly rated as I thought they should... I could be wrong but I just don’t see what everyone sees in old boy from Bama the Raiders drafted... But that’s one thing about this sport when the games start to be played we will find out everything we need to know 

• Like 1

Someone else already mentioned this, but what I love most about Hollywood is that you can legit see his speed on the field. It's not just timed speed or folks saying he's fast. Like when you watch his film, for example in that clip above from Twitter, you can tell this guy is VISIBLY fast. There's very few guys who look THAT fast on the actual field of play. Legitimately very excited to see this guy play for us.

Not in love with McSorley.  I know there was some hype about him being our T. Hill, but that arm was not at all impressive (really highlighted on the pick).  I think he can easily get through to the practice squad, particularly if the team really wants to keep one of the other guys on the bubble or wants to play hardball with trading Vedvik.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Not in love with McSorley.  I know there was some hype about him being our T. Hill, but that arm was not at all impressive (really highlighted on the pick).  I think he can easily get through to the practice squad, particularly if the team really wants to keep one of the other guys on the bubble or wants to play hardball with trading Vedvik.

Yeah, I liked him enough in college, but the windows in college aren’t nearly as tight. Still think with an NFL offseason he might be able to improve his foundational strength to drive the ball more, but his actual “arm” strength will likely forever be limited. Though some say Drew Brees and Tom Brady both improved their arm strength from college to the pros, but I’m not sure if that wasn’t just them improving their fundamentals and they already had legit arm strength to begin with.

Either way, you’re absolutely right, McSorely disappointed me in ways that he can’t really repair in-season. It will take some serious offseason work to improve upon that flaw. He’s an easy practice squad participant. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I agree. No one is going to want him. There's no risk in putting him out there, and he doesn't make our team better. If the Ravens really want Taysom Hill- they can just trade for him. 

I thought he showed more poise than you'd expect from a 6th Round QB, but that's about it. He can't play QB at this level.

Joe Callahan has a very intriguing story. First D3 QB to ever throw for over 5000 yards in a season. Won the Heisman of that level. Never had a combine or proday and had to hold an impromptu proday outside of Monmouth since they didn’t allow him onto their campus.

At this point, if Callahan has the athleticism to run our entire offense, I’d be all for him being our #3 QB over McSorely. There’s at least some upside there. McSorely didn’t look 4.5 level fast the other day and he’s not a good arm talent. He just has the poise working for him.