2019 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Joe Callahan has a very intriguing story. First D3 QB to ever throw for over 5000 yards in a season. Won the Heisman of that level. Never had a combine or proday and had to hold an impromptu proday outside of Monmouth since they didn’t allow him onto their campus.

At this point, if Callahan has the athleticism to run our entire offense, I’d be all for him being our #3 QB over McSorely. There’s at least some upside there. McSorely didn’t look 4.5 level fast the other day and he’s not a good arm talent. He just has the poise working for him.

IDK, I thought McSorely showed pretty good speed and toughness running the ball. I was a bit worried he would be too small (and preferred the Ravens draft Easton Stick), but so far I think he can play in the league. 

McSorely definitely started out slow, but looked better once he got some chemistry with Boykin, he got more comfortable. I'm willing to roll with him for awhile, Joe Callahan obvious has no shot and should not even be considered for a roster spot. 

I'm interested to see what kind of plays the Ravens can draw up with Jackson and McSorely on the field at the same time. 

10 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Joe Callahan obvious has no shot and should not even be considered for a roster spot. 

Based off of draft bias, sure. But Trace went 9/22 (41% comp) for 85 yards and 1 interception. Sure he was a rookie in his first ever NFL preseason game, but those numbers are terrible no matter which way you slice it. He also doesn’t have the benefit of the eyeball test like Boykin. I wanted to be a fan of Trace because I hyped him during draft season, but his physical limitations were noticeable. He does not look like an NFL quarterback. At least not this year.

With a better preseason game, he can look serviceable against preseason talent, but even with that, his flaws in an ACTUAL game are evident. His speed against starting talent wouldn’t cut it, his passing arm (lack there of) would be even more problematic, and more problematic than all of that is his hyper tendency to stare down EVERY receiver he throws it to. He was the reason why the ball to Boykin was intercepted... because he stared it down from the onset. He looked like rookie Joe Flacco to Derrick Mason, only without the elite arm cannon to mask that flaw.

If our offense is to be as revolutionary as the coaches say. If as the QBs have mentioned, this playbook is so much more varied, we need QBs with ability training within this system in the event that both Jackson and RG3 go down.

McSorely is a solid practice squad option as a hell freezes over option, but I’d like to see a bit more from Callahan. Because he was the much better passer of the football and the much better decision maker. At this stage, between Callahan and McSorely, it’s not even close. I’d love to see Callahan get the entire second half if he has enough of the playbook down. But yeah, based off of draft bias, I’m sure he doesn’t have as much of a shot since McSorely was just made a 6th round pick this year.

Edited by diamondbull424

44 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

At this stage, between Callahan and McSorely, it’s not even close. I’d love to see Callahan get the entire second half if he has enough of the playbook down. But yeah, based off of draft bias, I’m sure he doesn’t have as much of a shot since McSorely was just made a 6th round pick this year.

Callahan threw 4 passes. And his best pass was a lob that Scott made a nice adjustment to. Other than that he was 2-3 for 5 yards, also he took a sack for -11 (McSorely didn't take a sack in over 22 dropbacks).

McSorely made the exact same throw to Boykin, so I'm really not seeing what Callahan can do that McSorely can't do. Frankly, If we are comparing that one pass, McSorely's was much better because it had less air under it but was perfectly accurate. And let's not forget the dime McSorely threw to Boykin for a TD that was called back for holding. 

I don't see how you can evaluate Callahan so positively based on one lob.  

8 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Callahan threw 4 passes. And his best pass was a lob that Scott made a nice adjustment to. Other than that he was 2-3 for 5 yards, also he took a sack for -11 (McSorely didn't take a sack in over 22 dropbacks).

McSorely made the exact same throw to Boykin, so I'm really not seeing what Callahan can do that McSorely can't do. Frankly, If we are comparing that one pass, McSorely's was much better because it had less air under it but was perfectly accurate. And let's not forget the dime McSorely threw to Boykin for a TD that was called back for holding. 

I don't see how you can evaluate Callahan so positively based on one lob.  

The pass by Callahan was superior. Boykin created a boatload of space for McSorely on that play. That pass required little accuracy. What’s more McSorely waited to release the ball until Boykin was breaking. Callahan released his ball before the snap and against much tighter coverage put the ball in a spot where only Scott grabs that using the sideline as his friend. McSorely’s pass was too far inside so that if Boykin’s corner wasn’t so thoroughly worked, he could potentially disrupt that pass.

Similar passes, but the execution is not even close to the same degree of difficulty or performance. What’s more, that was McSorely’s third attempt at that pass on the night. The first resulted in a severely contested catch and the second resulted in an interception.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001040187/Tae-Hayes-picks-off-Trace-McSorley

Also it’s ridiculous to take away stats from a player. If we take away the Boykin grabs on that third drive from McSorely, he’s left with going 7/20 for 54 yards passing. That’s 2.7 yards per attempt. Which is what Callahan has in your warped stats, only Callahan still completes 66% of his passes while McSorely’s percentage drops to an even 40%.

Lastly, look at the routes run by Miles Boykin on that comeback and the penalty TD, Boykin absolutely works the corner to create ample space. When forced to throw into tight windows, McSorely was simply SOREly lacking.🤓

I’m just over the media hype that says McSorely’s performance in that game somehow showed he should make the roster. If anything, it’s the exact opposite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m just over the media hype that says McSorely’s performance in that game somehow showed he should make the roster. If anything, it’s the exact opposite.

Ok well I guess we disagree about how to evaluate those passes. IMO a back-shoulder throw really shouldn't have too much air under it because it gives the defender more time to turn and locate the ball. Callahan's pass to Scott looked more like a jump ball that he got lucky with. McSorely's looked more like the kind Aaron Rodgers throws. 

I was not a huge McSorely fan going into the game. But I thought I saw enough good plays that I thought we can work with him as QB3 and a gadget player. Whereas Callahan had one decent pass but I don't know how repeatable that is. 

Team of the Week for Justice Hill.

RB JUSTICE HILLBALTIMORE RAVENS

85.2 Overall Grade, 20 Snaps

Hill was a nightmare for the Green Bay Packers to try to bring down in the second week of the preseason, totaling seven missed tackles forced from just 10 carries. While Hill averaged 4.9 yards per carry on the night, a whopping 43 of his 49 rushing yards came after contact.

Edited by DreamKid

Did Madden really not use Jaylon Ferguson's image because he got into a fight with another man- as a teenager?....That's just beyond sad and pathetic. They do this every year for really troubled prospects. Joe Mixon, Antonio Callaway etc. Ferguson doesn't even come close to deserving a seat in that club though. And the 'punishment' is so stupid because they just allow the player's image into the following year's game anyway. Weak.

• Like 1